GIVE ADVICE ON CAREER

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Career / 3 hours ago Back To Top

Deciding between two potential job offers within the same company

I have had two interviews for two different job positions. They are both in IT, however it's a rather large company and I don't think the interviewers may be aware that I'm interviewing for both jobs. Overall I'd prefer the second job (IT Desktop Technician) to the first (IT Help Desk Support) based on what I know of the positions. The Desktop Technician job needs to go through a second interview which I have been told I've made the cut and they will call to schedule next week. I have been offered the Help Desk Support Position. If these were two different companies I'd accept the first one and see how the second interview goes. Since they are the same company I'm reluctant to take the first job, be offered the second, and leave shortly after starting. Even though it's a large company I'd rather not burn bridges or create ill will towards myself. However I also don't want to pass on the first job, not be offered the second job, and miss out on both opportunities. Any suggestions for how to handle this?

- Asked by matthewdust30, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Technical
Career / 22 hours ago Back To Top

Does this sound like a good idea?

I started thinking about what I wanted to do with my life, and I know I don't want to do something everyone else in my former high school classmates. And my friends and I have been talking about something we want to do and we always go back to starting a business. Also, when we talk about the business we want to start up... we always are torn between opening a Bakery or opening a 24 Hour Bookstore/Cafe... Do these ideas sound good?

Career / 1 day ago Back To Top

How can I say no to my teacher's offer?

I am looking into going into teaching college. One of my teachers likes me and offered me a 2 hour a week paid "job". This job entails me helping his students out with debate. Yes, it's paid, but it's like $8/hr. BUT The pay is not an issue, it's just the amount of time and money that's going to be going into something I don't really feel will benefit as much as other things I can do with those hours I'll spend not only working but the drive. He says that in order to be able to take this job, I have to be enrolled in the school (Which I no longer go to). This enrollment means I have to pay money to have a class at school and spend separate money on parking and gas.
The thing is, he's let me substitute teach for some of his classes, so I feel if I say I don't have time to do it, he may not ask me to substitute teach.
Yet, I don't really want to spend the time out of my really busy schedule to do this.
How can I let this offer down without looking strange?

- Asked by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 18-21
Career / 2 days ago Back To Top

Has anyone transferred from a job to another state? What advice would you give others?

I work for a non profit that is in all states,plus.
I can transfer to another state, and all stays the same as far as benefits, etc.
Has anyone done this type of move/ switch?
What were the difficulties you had if any?
Advice in doing this?
I live in MN possible transfer to WA,AR or FL.
Any thoughts on those places in general? Lived in OR and weather didn't bother me at all. Loved the coast.

- Asked by wonderinglady, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65
Career / 2 days ago Back To Top

Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, or sugarcoat it?

My job evaluation is coming up next month, and one of the questions is what progress have I made towards the goals I set for myself last year (which were recorded in the last evaluation). Due to health problems and deaths in the family, I didn't follow through on any of the things I said I was going to do, and am wondering how to handle this. Should I be truthful and tell my boss that I had a difficult year and didn't get around to working on the goals or what? I know employers don't want to hear about their employees' personal problems, but I don't want to look like I just didn't care enough to do what was expected of me. Suggestions?

1