GIVE ADVICE ON CAREER

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Career / 45 minutes ago Back To Top

Has your manager or company ever made a mountain out of a molehill?

Has your manager or company ever made a mountain out of a molehill? What was the situation and how did it effect you or others?

- Asked by lasuz, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Medical / Dental
Career / 9 hours ago Back To Top

What careers or small jobs have communal showers and locker rooms?

I've missed out on the whole high school communal showers and locker room experience. I mean I went to a high school that had them and I had a gym class but I never showered because of my insecurities. I would kinda wanna remedy that. It would be cool to do it at work. The comraderie would be incredible!

- Asked by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 22-25, Body Work
Career / 16 hours ago Back To Top

Any tips on making a drastic change

in one's everyday schedule more manageable?

- Asked by tabbycat1, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, London, Internet / New Media
Career / 1 day ago Back To Top

A prospective employment opportunity.

Today, I had an interview and it went quite well. I got hired. The only problem is that I worked in this field before, and people usually get laid off after Christmas. I mentioned that to the interviewer and he reassured me that I will have my job after January. Then he started listing the benefits and incentives for staying with the company. The job pays $17.00 per hour and between now and Christmas, I will be making tons of money.

Should I accept his job offer and his word, or go with previous experience and look for a different job?

Update: September 17, 2014.
I got the message. I will take the job and sees what happens. I will be making a lot of money in the next 4 months.

- Asked by itsbeenalongtime, A Player, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?
Career / 2 days ago Back To Top

I want to try investing in real estate but I cannot get a conventional loan. Where can I obtain an

unconventional loan or a portfolio loan? Thanks!

- Asked by hapegolucky, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55
Career / 3 days ago Back To Top

Ok so I've found myself in a bit of a work-dilemma at the moment...

So... Do I keep the IT recruiter (sales-market research) position that I've just been hired for that is a 15 min subway ride in an awesome part of the city I live in, so I can stay here and start the fun after-work hobbies and classes I've signed up for... Even if it has a low base pay, seems kinda stressful with a high turnover rate, is mostly commission-based, but has the *potential* to make a LOT of $$$? In training this week. It's Mon-Thurs so I get Fri's off, which I figure I could partly spend applying to other jobs if this one doesn't exactly pan out for 1 reason or another (6 months probation, never done this, not sure if it's up my alley).

Or do I take what may seem like the sensible route, accepting a job offer in my field, something I've done for years which I'm quite good at, which pays quite a bit better than the base pay of the IT recruiter job; is Mon-Fri (vs. Mon-Thurs), BUT: and here are the 2 caveats... it is a 6 month contract, and.... is in my (boring, slightly soul-sucking) hometown, 2 hours away from the fun, metropolitan city I'm living in now that never sleeps and fosters creativity and has so much that I'm looking for, in terms of creative pursuits on the side (albeit a slightly shitty economy compared to my hometown).

If I moved to the hometown I'd have to drop out of my after-work activities/hobbies here in the big city (some of which I signed up for with friends). Of course I could always drive back on weekends (living arrangements in either city wouldn't be an issue-long story, but it's not a factor). I have family and friends in both cities (less so now in the hometown as so many have moved away or drifted apart, etc), but the hometown is a bureaucratic, small-town minded, conservative city that just never felt right for me.

Do I take the 6 month contract and tough it out, since I'll be on 6 months probation at the recruiter job anyway? Or do I stay in my big city and try this out while applying to others? Or can I even defer the other job offer? I doubt it, since it's a contract. I have til next Monday to respond. I don't know what to do. Help!
Thanks :)

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35

1