GIVE ADVICE ON CAREER

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Career / 23 hours ago Back To Top

Exactly 1 week at a new job. Help.

I regret taking this job. They knew my background when I was hired. When I was offered the job, they said I'd take longer to learn their system since I'm just coming from a job opposite from my qualifications.

There are 2 people teaching me. The first day was horrible. They hadn't shown me how their rooms and building was set up and who and where to go in the department. But I made the most of the situation.

My 2nd to 6th day, the two people training me were frustrated that I wasn't finishing the paperwork quicker. Especially frustrated if I asked any questions. Such as "I told you this on your first day already or We went over this already, remember!?" I just don't think I'm the right person they're looking for. A friend of mine who works in a similar company is shocked. Told me it takes at least 2 weeks to familiarize a new office and their system.

I don't know... I'm just very sad and miserable. I think this Monday I will talk with the management and give my 2 weeks. I need advice. I know this is a mistake since the job market is tough. But I don't want to be set up to being fired. I also don't know what to say that will not place the two people in a negative way. Personally, I think they're just inexperienced training someone. And it's my fault too. I think I'm just not learning, understanding, and jumping with their flow as quick as they like. I don't know what to tell them why I'm leaving so soon. Thanks for any help.

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?
Career / 2 days ago Back To Top

I dislike my job but my mom won't let me leave.

I work at a local casino as a flex worker (I work wherever they need people) and I really don't like it. They only reason I even applied to work here was because I have several relatives who work there and also my mom said "Ever kid has to work at the casino at some point." The pays is nice but that is the only thing I like about it. The people I work with are terrible. I've been yelled at for "stealing tips" at each of the restaurants. I only worked my assigned section and wouldn't work anyone else's unless they asked and would put there tips in the spot the picked out. Several people have stolen money out of my locker(we can't have locks because we need to establish trust). My uniform hasn't been cleaned since I began working here over a year ago.(I can't take it home because I'm flex) and many more complaints along those lines. I bring complaints up to HR but they don't do anything and tell me to just ignore the behavior.

I've been planning on going to look for another job but my mom will probably tell me I can't because I can only work at the casino. I don't know what to do.

- Asked by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 18-21
Career / 2 days ago Back To Top

Worthless freaking co-workers

Anyone have a coworker who shows a deliberate pattern for calling in sick on Mondays or Fridays???

- Asked by tacotruck, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45
Career / 3 days ago Back To Top

Work comp for carpel tunnel - for the second time?

About 10 ½ years ago (January of 2004) I was diagnosed with bilateral carpel tunnel, severe in the right hand and slight in the left. The company I had worked for back then sent me to their work comp doctors and he sent me for occupational therapy and cortisone shots. I did about 3 sets of shots over 6 months and I've been good for about 9 years. I never had surgery, I was only 26 at the time, too young to do that.

So, now, I've been dealing with the numbies and the pain for the past year. It's like that horrible numbing pain you get when your foot falls asleep for a long time and it's just waking up. it wakes me up from a dead sleep, it's very hard to function sometimes, because I can't feel anything. It's now to the point where my hands are almost always constantly numb.

Just wondering if anyone knows about work comp claims - would I be able to file a claim with my job (been here for over 5 years) and have them send me to the specialist? There's only one doctor in my area that is specialized in carpel tunnel and he's on the work comp list of doctors for us. I'm not sure if it would be covered since I was previously diagnosed with it. it's not a pre-existing condition because I haven't been seen for this condition since 2005. I really just want to get another round of cortisone shots, I don't want surgery. Not unless absolutely necessary. I wear the splints when I'm home but they don't do anything.

I don't have medical insurance, they don't offer it here -very small company, it would be like $600 a person for horrible coverage if they did offer it and I still can't afford Obamacare - crazy premium amount with a $4,500 deductible - I rather pay the fine.

So, does anyone know if I'd be able to report this to my employer now and have them cover the visits?

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45
Career / 3 days ago Back To Top

Do you think this is true?

"Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power." ~Oscar Wilde

- Asked by hubbyochris, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland, Executive
Career / 3 days ago Back To Top

I swear I work in a daycare - where adults act like children. Sheesh...

I just witnessed my HR manager and the plant manager in a screaming match, and probably most of the other employees here.

I work in the office of a warehouse and as a reward the owners of the company bought us lunch and instead of a 30 minute lunch they gave us a 45 minute lunch.

Well, when I asked - lets call her Amy (HR) - if it was a 45 minute lunch, she told me, what are you nuts, of course it's only 30 minutes. I thought nothing of it and made sure I was back within 30 minutes. well, when I got back from lunch a lot of people were still hanging out in the break room. I was like whatever, I'm doing what I was told.

Well, all hell broke loose at 12:34 (we were supposed to be back by 12:30) - Amy went running out of the office, screaming at the employees in the break room - and I mean screaming at the top of her lungs. One girl comes in and was talking to the assistant plant manager and was like why is Amy snapping out and she went out to explain to Amy that lunch was 45 minutes long. Oh that was not a good idea - she freaked out even more.

Then the plant manager -we'll call her Jamie - went into the break room and all hell broke loose. Jamie was like what are you doing, I'm the plant manager and I told them they could take the extra 15 minutes. Amy was like I'm HR I need to know for payroll reasons. -what difference does it make, they don't punch in or out for lunch. -Amy got all red in the face, I need to know these things. -Jamie- no you don't it's none of your business.

It continued on for 20 minutes - Amy was like you made me look like an asshole, because you didn't tell me. (that's what the whole problem was -1. She looked like an asshole and 2. She thinks she needs to know everything) - Jamie was like did you seriously think all these people were just hanging out without permission? -amy was like I've had enough, I'm not going to sit here and kiss your as, I'm going to tell your boss. Jamie was like go ahead, who do you think paid for the lunch.

Like my HR person is a child - she went into her office and called Jamie's boss and was screaming and I'm not kidding crying to her telling her, she made me look like an asshole, why won't she tell me everything? Seriously like a child.

I don't get along, nor like either one - but I don't understand why Amy freaked out. The people I work with are decent people, they know what they are supposed to do and not do, they would not be hanging out in the break room after the bell rings for the end of lunch. Why did that Amy not realize that? she's HR, she should have went in there and been like, why aren't you all back - they would have told her oh we have 45 minutes - she would have been like oohh ok, and should have went back to verify that with Jamie and not freaked out.

I'm seriously embarrassed to be working here. anyone else have to deal with children in supervisory rolls? I can't be alone in this.

1