GIVE ADVICE ON CAREER

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Career / 22 hours ago Back To Top

Can you give me your advice on what transpired based on my summary? (warning: kind of long)

A couple of weeks ago I was still working for this company who hired me end of July. The job entailed a lot that does not in any way relate to my background but it was understood and implied I thought that the person hiring me knew and would work with me--meaning there would be a learning curve so to speak. Things got a little out of control for various reasons involving other coworkers (not me--a lot of confusion in that office). Then one day and on several the guy who is considered the Manager seemed to be getting very impatient with me (but then again he does that with everyone and a lot worse with the others). It was obvious and I tried to be patient and/or comply until one day as he had done before he called on me to explain a mistake that another person made but that I did not notice.
To make a long story short, and I brought up during the meeting (which by the way was the only meeting I actually said anything relevant and that was actually held after like 2 months) that I was confused about my role there. I don't think this was appreciated, and I can understand.
Now, aside from the others in that office who also have issues, this one Manager is here on a visa but has a close relationship with the boss or owner... My question is, during the meeting I mentioned that the Manager came up to me inquiring about something that someone else did, and asked if I was responsible for it, because if so, I should be made aware so that I can rectify it... Is it possible that it appeared that I was trying to jeopardize this person's role there? Because I was not, even though it may have come across that way. I really did not intend to criticize the company or other people but rather find a solution to the problem as to why people who were there longer than me are still making mistakes and that I, as a recent hire, am expected to correct or notice. I know that I could have handled this differently but this was going on for a while and I guess the frustration poured out of me at that point. I can say for a fact that the owner did not appreciate that I brought this up. Do you have any thoughts or feedback for me? I feel a little guilty for bringing it up like that but again I did not mean to (and I am pretty sure the other employees are happy they still have their jobs, I actually am not there for other reasons on top of this, and it's ok with me)
Thanks

Career / 1 day ago Back To Top

What's the best way to gain work experience?

I work full-time in a mediocre job. The role is okay, but I'm not really gaining any new experiences or new skills from it.

When I applied, I was out of work like many people these days and stuck with it for the sake of having a job.

However it's been a couple of years and things haven't improved. So I took a night course in computer networking which is going really well.

I was thinking about doing volunteer work for some groups or try doing some unpaid internships in a few telecommunication companies, but I'm not sure about how to apply without coming across as spaming people.

Career / 3 days ago Back To Top

Exactly 1 week at a new job. Help.

I regret taking this job. They knew my background when I was hired. When I was offered the job, they said I'd take longer to learn their system since I'm just coming from a job opposite from my qualifications.

There are 2 people teaching me. The first day was horrible. They hadn't shown me how their rooms and building was set up and who and where to go in the department. But I made the most of the situation.

My 2nd to 6th day, the two people training me were frustrated that I wasn't finishing the paperwork quicker. Especially frustrated if I asked any questions. Such as "I told you this on your first day already or We went over this already, remember!?" I just don't think I'm the right person they're looking for. A friend of mine who works in a similar company is shocked. Told me it takes at least 2 weeks to familiarize a new office and their system.

I don't know... I'm just very sad and miserable. I think this Monday I will talk with the management and give my 2 weeks. I need advice. I know this is a mistake since the job market is tough. But I don't want to be set up to being fired. I also don't know what to say that will not place the two people in a negative way. Personally, I think they're just inexperienced training someone. And it's my fault too. I think I'm just not learning, understanding, and jumping with their flow as quick as they like. I don't know what to tell them why I'm leaving so soon. Thanks for any help.

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

1