GIVE ADVICE ON HOUSE & HOME

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
House & Home / 2 days ago Back To Top

Do you feel like you belong where you are?

Where you live, where you work, in general?

I can't find a place that fits me. I have just been told my branch office will close in January and I'm thinking of moving interstate but I'm worried it won't work out either.

House & Home / 2 days ago Back To Top

I spent today opening up a loveseat I have that started sagging in the front. It's really

disgraceful what the guts of "Made in America" looked like. It was press board used as framing. No freakin wonder that someone who "heavy sat" my loveseat broke the front "beam" of the frame. How freakin cheap can you make a piece of furniture. They didn't even use low grade pine. And they stapled every thing. The workmanship is as shoddy as it gets. Yeah I can make a repair but I feel disgust for the label on it, the company who was the maker, and the company who sold it.

Update: November 26, 2014.
Yes Greenwind just because it said Made in America that doesn't mean the whole of it was. Could be the framing was partially constructed elsewhere and assembled in the US which allows them to slap that label on it.

Update: November 26, 2014.
Anonymous....it wasn't a fat ass that sat on the chair....just an average person that sat down in it a little too hard at youth are known to do. But to open the chair up and realize what cheap crap it was constructed with certainly explains why it so easily broke.

- Asked by joybird, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?
House & Home / 2 days ago Back To Top

Real or fake???????????

The great Christmas tree debate .....

- Asked by wetwired, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Vancouver, Who Cares?
House & Home / 3 days ago Back To Top

Anyone ever bought furniture from Ashley? So disappointed...

We purchased a living room and kitchen set from Ashley Furniture back in October, which still has not arrived a month later. I've called the store a couple of times, and was told that they will call me once it's in. I've never had this problem with deliveries from any other store, and was wondering is this normal for this particular company? If you've had a similar experience with them, I would love to hear it.

- Asked by experience101, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?
House & Home / 3 days ago Back To Top

HVAC work, furnace installation. How do you decide?

Well, my furnace is 25 years old and like Scottie on Star Trek, my favorite local contractor has kept it running for the last few years, even beyond it's service life. (He is a very professional man and his company is his name.) He quoted me $3700 for the furnace and installation (70,000 BTU) and $2900 if I want to replace the complete air conditioning system. (He will hold the $2900 price til end of next summer, if I choose.) He is honest, good, shows up promptly, and everything is done right, whether it's him or his employees doing the work.

Okay, so I've got a sickness called being cheap. I think I'm over it, but sometimes have relapses. But I'm going to stick with this guy because he's high-quality and trustworthy, especially because the house is in PA and I'm living in Alaska.

What is your method of finding, trusting, and hiring a contractor of any kind? Do you ask neighbors and friends, or use Angie's List, or some other way of finding a contractor? Would you call Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, or another big-name company?

Update: November 26, 2014.
A 66,000 BTU unit was installed as promised on Tuesday with a one-year installer's warranty and 10-year manufacturer (Coleman) warranty. A new thermostat was installed, too, all for $3700.

Update: November 25, 2014.
It's $3700 for the furnace and blower and thermostat only. It's an extra $2900 for adding the air conditioner system replacement to the work either now or in the future...total $6600 if I do it all. Sorry for the confusion.

- Asked by beachinbeachboy, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Consulting

1