GIVE ADVICE ON HOUSE & HOME

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
House & Home / 13 hours ago Back To Top

Evidently, one of the ladies who lives in my apt. complex asked me about my dryer sheets and when I

do my laundry as she lives on the first floor right by the dryer vent. I talked to her 2 days later as to why. She said that some of them have FORMALDEHYDE
in them and it sets off her migraines. I told her that I will no longer use them and she suggested rolling up an aluminum ball and put that in the dryer. Can someone explain what the aluminum does? Thanks

Update: October 22, 2014.
I think what I'll do is get a detergent that has the fabric softener added to it and not worry about dryer sheets, aluminum balls, etc. etc.. Thanks ladies ! Just as a side not I just visited my massage person and he said he had a friend who used an aluminum foil ball inside of his new dryer and left only to come back and his house was burnt down. It started a spark war inside of the dryer. I definitely don't want to burn down my apt. complex.

House & Home / 3 days ago Back To Top

If I'm acting as a housekeeper, should I be obligated to pay rent?

A little while ago, I lost my job and needed a place to stay to get on my feet. My then boyfriend opened his small apartment to me, which I really appreciate. As a courtesy, I offer him a small amount of rent of about $100-200 monthly and buy most of the groceries, even though mind you, I moved in to get on my feet. I also clean up the apartment, which is tough because he is a complete and total slob.

I don'd mind and actually expect to do my part as a showing of gratitude. But I find myself having to pick up after him if he drops stuff on the floor or leaves things laying out. And there is a big hygiene problem. I clean the toilet for him after he leaves shit on the toilet seat and wipe blood off of the sink after he's brushed his teeth or given himself a medical injection.

I told him that he will need to be more conscientious of me being there. I'm working hard to get out as soon as possible but at this time have no where else to go. I think he takes advantage of this and makes me feel like I owe him, even sex. He has even requested that I pay half of the rent, even though that is more than what I paid at the last place before I lost my job, and he thinks I should just clean up after him.

It doesn't help that at 40+ he is a mama's boy. He is used to her doing things for him and she has told me in so many words, that it is my role.

Is this right? What would you do in this situation?

I just got hired somewhere else and will be in a position to leave in a few months. But in the meantime, should I just shut up and deal with it, or put my foot down?

I remember being in a position to let a good friend live with me for free when he was in between jobs. He stayed with me for over a year and didn't offer me a dime and I wouldn't have expected him too, as he was in a bind. Its funny that now that I need a hand, I have an exboyfriend who takes advantage of that.

1