GIVE ADVICE ON FAMILY & PARENTING

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Family & Parenting / 1 hour ago Back To Top

Do you think older men should teach younger men? How about older women teaching younger women?

If not, should parents teach their young children? Should we do away with mentors? How about life experience, education does that matter? Should be the other way around, like the younger teaching the older?

- Asked by karenrecess70, A Trendsetter, Female, 56-65, Los Angeles
Family & Parenting / 2 hours ago Back To Top

Today is Sept 1st my granddaughters third birthday. I was wondering how far back can you ...

can you remember your birthday? What childhood birthday meant the most to you?

Family & Parenting / 1 day ago Back To Top

This may be petty but it still bugs me.

MY only child got married a couple of years ago and we invited one of her very close friend. Because we were on a tight budget we couldn't invite every single person we would have liked to.

Not only did we invite this very close friend but we invited her whole family. Mother, sister and boyfriend, cousins, aunts and uncles, even grandfather and grandmother! Why you ask? because she has known them since she was 13 years old and they were and are like family to her. THrough out the years my daughter has been invited to birthdays, dinners, family get togethers etc. She was very close to them, with some relatives more than others.

Because I know them also, I was included in some of these gatherings sometimes as well but I'm not as close to them as my daughter is. Because we were on a very tight budget, they weren't even going to be invited but when they found out about this, everyone was very upset and hurt that my daughter would not invite them. So we changed it to include them also. My daughter is half black and I'm not and this family is black, sometimes I think they, meaning this family and my daughter, have a special connection but not with me. IDK I'm not sure.

Now here is what is bugging me. This very close friend is getting married next week and only daughter and my son in law were invited, not me. I know I'm being an idiot and should just forget it but it irritates me.

Update: August 31, 2015.
Ya'll brought up something that I didn't think about. We did go overboard in inviting all of them. It was stupid because, we had to not invite some people that we could have, that I would have been very happy to be there (other close friends of my daughters), if we didn't invite all of them. Just makes me sad. But I will let it go, what's done is done.

Update: August 31, 2015.
Thank you everyone for your responses, I feel much better after reading your responses and appredciate the support. I decided to just let it go and forget about it and not let it bother me. I still do see the family from time to time at family gatherings and other functions because we have mutual friends. My daughter just told me last night that hubby is not going because he lost a front tooth and doesn't really want to go out until he gets a new tooth. She is coming over this wednesday to use our sewing machine and will talk to her about this but I already know what she will say. That I shouldn't worry about it and that it's no big deal. Also anonymous 22 -25 year old., you are dead wrong race was not on my mind at all. Funny how the race card always gets brought out.

What kind of friends do you have? Does it matter if they're always cutting you down?

There are some people who always seem angry and continuously look for conflict. When I was in therapy after my divorce I was very angry. I learned the person who needs the most love will ask for it in the most unloving ways. I've heard that people will either inspire you or they will drain you so you need to pick them wisely. I started to surround myself with the core group of friends. When I meet with them we help each other through whatever with encouragement and understanding. We speak truthfully without blame or insults. I always walk away from them feeling like it was time for worth spending. I have a few friends and acquaintances that I keep a little further away because they're so negative and full of putdowns. I don't talk about anything deep just superficial stuff because I don't trust them. Do you think that people like that will ever change? How do you handle different types of friends? What's acceptable to you versus non-acceptable?

Family & Parenting / 3 days ago Back To Top

My daughter informed me that my grandchildren

are freaked out about my illness and won't visit me.Grand daughter is 11 and grandson is 9. They live about 200 or so miles away. I have a terminal lung disease't and on oxygen plus other lung devises. My daughter is a child psychologist. She states that it's not a good idea to insist that they visit me. I don't know if it's selfish of me to feel so put out. Part of me just don't understand what is so freakish about me. I am a little puffed from the steroids, but not really freakish looking. They didn't say I looked like a freak, they just said it freaks them out to see me.

Am I being selfish because I feel so hurt over this?

Users Lose - The Thrill of Settling for Second Best?

I have a friend who's girlfriend broke up with him about 10 months ago. He is currently seeing another girl now, but he confided in me that he still loves the first. He said that he feels like he is settling by being with this new girl, as if she is second best. He enjoys spending time with this new one because she is nothing like the first, but he confided that he loves the outdoor adventures that him and the new girl go on, the thrill of them. He is also religious, and the new girl is not. She has more of a gypsy wandering soul. He has told the new girl he has strong feelings for his ex still as well as for her, but the two of them continue to see each other and spend time together. I think they are wasting each other's time and he needs to try and talk to his ex, to see if they could work out together now. It is not fair to use someone, and in this case I feel like they are both settling and using each other and it is disgusting. How do I tell him this, what should I say/recommend? Thank you

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Edmonton, Science / Engineering

1