GIVE ADVICE ON FAMILY & PARENTING

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Family & Parenting / 21 hours ago Back To Top

How far is too far when it comes to having to tolerate another person

A year ago, my dad was widowed, for the second time in his life. Less than a year later he met a woman online. I caught her in numerous lies which cause me to be guarded of her. Though my father is aware of this he chose to pursue a relationship with her. He is 76 yrs old. She is 67. While I agree it's none of my business who he dates, my concern, besides his being happy, is that he does not get taken financially in the process. In her three prior relationships, some marriages, others just cohabitating, she has walked away with major assets. After dating her for a month he moved, full time, into her home. When he use to live in his own home, I would talk to him on his house phone. Now that he lives in her home, he calls me on her house phone. He has a cell phone; one of these trak phones that you buy in a supermarket and purchase separate minute cards. I prefer to call his cell phone so I don't really have to deal with talking to her, since it's her house phone. He just informed me that since she has unlimited minutes on her house phone and he has limited minutes on his cell phone, unless I am willing to talk with him on her house phone, then we won't be speaking much. I told my dad that while I'm happy, he's happy, that does not mean she and I have to be friends. I plan to meet her, for the first time, at my sons wedding in February. In public, I plan to be both cordial and respectful towards her. However, knowing he's aware of how I feel about her, at the moment, I feel he does not have the right to push her upon me 24/7 to where every time I call to speak with him I must go through her first. I offered, as a compromised to pay for extra minute cards so that his limited minutes becomes a non issue. Does anyone else see a fair compromise as to how to deal with this situation?

- Asked by zritzistme, A Thinker, Female, 46-55
Family & Parenting / 1 day ago Back To Top

I grew up in an emotionally and physically abusive household.

My parents were never there for me and were not only unsupportive, but condescending when I came out as gay, got divorced, decided to go back to school, etc. Now as they are older, they have mellowed out a lot and they view me as the hard ass. I feel like I have reason to still hold grudges against them, but they feel like I should just get over it and they think I am ruining my relationship with them by how I act towards them. I tell them it's perfectly fine if they don't want me in their life and I know I will be OK - if nothing else how they treated me taught me to be tough. Who is right here?

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Baltimore, Law Enforcement

Hate to break it to some people

But gay people CAN have families there are plenty of children out there who need to be adopted talking like gays can't have families is hypocritical

Update: October 30, 2014.
It has NOTHING to do with Iphones that's the point of how ridiculous the question was just because the CEO is gay doesn't mean the phones aren't any good and greenwind is also clueless to the fact that gays CAN have families that's again the whole point of this

- POP'd by sarahot46, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

How many of you Anti-Gay people are going to get rid of your IPhones...

... Now that the CEO of Apple has announced he is gay?

I mean you all are all about making stances on big issues like this aren't you?

- Asked by juandontbeg, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Did your parents treat you and your siblings equally?

For those of you with siblings, were you and your brothers/sisters treated equally? Was there a competition created in any way intentionally or otherwise? Please explain.

- Asked by lasuz, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Administrative
Family & Parenting / 2 days ago Back To Top

Why do people insist on giving their children TERRIBLE NAMES?!?

Apple, North, Hashtag? Do you want your kid to be teased? Just saw someone post one that says she's is mad that her family hates it. So'pretty. I thought she was going to have a name that was going to be so pretty, but no, that's the name. What are some bad ones you know of?

- Asked by Pearl72594, A Thinker, Female, 18-21

The Coach said what???

So tell me if I'm being over sensitive. This past weekend my daughter was pitching during her little league game. As one of the opposing players was walking up to bat, the opposing coach said to him "Go show THAT girl how to play baseball"
My daughter got her revenge by striking the boy out but I really thought the statement was completely inappropriate. what say you?

Update: October 29, 2014.
Sorry for the second update..Coach called me earlier, apologized for his heat of the moment statement and asked if my daughter would be on his team next year...um, no thanks

Update: October 29, 2014.
I have no problems with the kids banter, thats part of the game. I wasnt so happy with what the coach said, I did tell my daughter to throw a wild pitch and hit the coach. LOL She'll never do it though. haha

- Asked by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

My Mom Is Driving Me Crazy

My mom had a brain aneurysm 9 months ago. She was one of the lucky ones that lived through this experience and as the doctors said she should "go on to live a normal life". However, she has not gone back to work since and does nothing all day at home.

Before this accident happened we had a good relationship. We never fought and generally got along very well. But since this happened, our relationship has been very strained because of her attitude and actions. She sleeps all day and cannot stay awake for very long, however, she stays up all night. She misses her doctors appointments often because she is too tired to wake up (appointments are usually around 3pm) and doesnt seem to care that she does. She does not take any of this too seriously.

She seems to live with no responsibility and no sense of urgency. She eats cakes and chocolates all day, meanwhile she is pre-diabetic. She has gained a ton of weight but will not acknowledge it. She basically will not listen to any advice that the doctor has given her to get her back on her feet.

She also cannot/refuses do any sort of physical activity (walking, etc.) because it "takes to much out of her" and she would rather just sit on the couch.

She also constantly tells me what I should and should not be doing in a very nagging way and its usually not logical. She never did this before. Im guessing because of the brain aneurysm her logical thought process is disconnected some how.

Its a lot to get into but basically she has been driving me insane. With the way she talks with me and how she doesnt care about her health and has not taken anything seriously. Ive spoken with her many times on how I feel and she agrees with me but in two hours she goes right back to doing whatever silly thing she was doing before.

My point is that im worried. It seems like she is coming undone... to the point of no return if she doesnt straighten herself out. Yet she refuses to do anything about it... Im at my wits end.

Update: October 29, 2014.
She was sent to a rehabilitation center for two months after the accident before being scent home. Then she had therapy for another 8 weeks after she came home. Both places gave her the "OK".

- POP'd by Female, 26-28

How do you deal with an elderly parent that calls all the time with nothing to say?

I'm a 55 year old retired teacher. My 76 year old mother calls multiple times everyday. She usually says she really has nothing to say or goes into details about her aches and pains or something that I'm not the least bit interested in. Today, I told her that I would stop by after an art class. My cousin and I went to a restaurant afterward and then I went to the store. I even told her that I would be late. She called my house, then she made my dad drive her to the place where we took the art class looking for me. She even said she knew that I told her that I was going to be late. (She had called my cell phone, but I left it in the car when I went grocery shopping.) I feel bad when I get short with her. ( I don't yell or anything), but she is driving me nuts. I even started on an anti-anxiety pill because of her. My blood pressure goes sky high when she gets so pesty. She has no hobbies, interests, ect. She always says she doesn't want to get involved in anything. I know she's bored, but gosh. Any suggestions?

- Asked by A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, Cincinnati, Retired
Family & Parenting / 3 days ago Back To Top

How can I feel less responsible for my parents unhappiness and poverty?

I am 21 years old and have come from a extremely dysfunctional family. We have been a poor family and my parents have been unhappy and my mother, depressed because of the way her life turned out. I am 21, a full time student, so I don't really have money to help them with. I do, however, help them a lot with everything else. My sister, on the other hand, who is almost 30 doesn't really do much to help, and just lives for herself.
I look at my parents and wish they were happy. I look at them and wish they were healthier and less poor. I know that in the future, I will finally be able to help them financially, yet I want to "fix" them, emotionally and mentally. I want to have them be more happy overall (not temporarily happy, but overall happy). I want them to no longer feel empty, depressed, and unaccomplished, and fix all of these things. Yet, its a great pressure because it's very difficult fixing someone so broken. When they are not happy, I cannot be fully happy. It's like something in my life is missing and it doesn't feel right; like something is off.
How can I feel less responsible? At times I feel that it's not fully my responsibility to fix another persons life, yet I can't help but to feel that way.

Why can't my mom accept I am not smart and I won't get a good career?

I am not smart. Everytime I take a class in college I do badly and have to drop. Even if I study as hard as I can I do badly. It is clear I cannot handle most college classes I won't get a good career and the only job I will probably be able to do is receptionist or some other small job like that. My mom is very mad at me for saying this and keeps shouting at me to do better and that I must get a great career but there is no way I can do it. How can I convince her that I am not smart and that is that?

1