GIVE ADVICE ON FAMILY & PARENTING

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Family & Parenting / 4 hours ago Back To Top

Do you believe dating a woman with children makes the kid/s your responsibility at all?

Some people believe that when you date someone with kids and you do not have kids for instance that the kids should not be your responsibility...

There will always be some responsibility as the kid/s will be living under your roof you will be providing/protecting/he lping/etc.

But the consensus I have came across on the Internet is that: "It's not yours so you do not get a say in decisions!"

What do you think?

(My thoughts: I should have a say if I'm going to be in the relationship. Equality!)

- Asked by josevz, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Johannesburg, Technical
Family & Parenting / 8 hours ago Back To Top

My father recently passed. Questions on his Social Security and Pension

I am wondering the steps too take after his death regarding his Social Security and his pension. Does it just stop? would he still technically be entitled to 1 more payment through each? He did not have life insurance. Myself and my family need help financially to fully pay for the funeral, so anything we receive would help.

- Asked by good0lmatt, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Buffalo, Who Cares?
Family & Parenting / 10 hours ago Back To Top

Why can't people accept that I just don't want children?

I've been in a relationship 18 months now and all I keep getting off friends and family is "When are you going to settle down and have children?" and when I tell them I don't want children all I get is "you'll change your mind your still young" or "I thought that but I wouldn't change it for the world now, you should try it."

I just want to shake them and tell them I don't want children, I have no ticking biological clock, no maternal instinct, no desire to be a mother and that's it. They need to shut up and stop trying to tell me what I want. I know my own mind!

Grrrrr

- Asked by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession
Family & Parenting / 1 day ago Back To Top

My intentions may have been misunderstood.

I am meeting a Norwegian Lundehund breeder today at my sister and brother-in-law's house, and I'm worried that the breeder may be under the impression that I'm definitely going to buy a puppy from her (my sister almost certainly IS going to).

I explained in one of the emails (we exchanged about 10) that I was planning to buy a puppy sometime in the next 6 months and that I couldn't afford one now because I have some costly expenses I have to take care of first. My intention for meeting with her and her dogs is just to see this breed in person and establish a connection with this particular breeder (the only breeder of this breed in my state) so that in the future, when I can afford to buy, I can contact her again and buy from her.

She replied that the puppies would be ready for homes in the beginning of March and she could only hold one for me until the end of the month; she even lowered the price because she could tell I was a genuine Lundehund lover and would be a responsible dog parent. She also expressed delight in the thought of the puppies staying in each other's lives if both my sister and I bought one.

If you were in her shoes, would you feel I'd been wasting your time or would you think it's perfectly reasonable to just want to meet without purchasing just to get to know the breed and breeder?

- Asked by A Sweet Sarah, Female, Who Cares?
Family & Parenting, Sex & Intimacy / 2 days ago Back To Top

My mother hates me. What should do?

My mother hates me. I know I sound like a typical teen girl, but my mother has told me before that she hoped I died and punched me and left a big bruise on me. She calls me a fat bitch so often that you would probably think it was my name. She has punched me in the head before and told me I should have never been born.. The only reason she had me was to keep my father but he left her and married my sister( who is 4 months older than me) and married her mother.. She smoke and drank heavily while pregnant w/ me and she has no shame in it. Her ex boyfriend use to beat the living hell out of me when I 4-5 years old and she laughed and would sometimes participate in my beating with him. She didn't break up w/ him until he put me, her, and her then boyfriend at gunpoint at my older brother sleep over.. I still remember that night like it was yesterday.. I'm about to graduate from high school now and when it was time to purchase my cap and gowns she knowingly wrote a bad check and is now make me pay for, which she knows I cannot afford and she knows I can't work because I keep my sisters child and my neighbors son.. They are 2&8 and I basicly raising my niece. It was at a point my niece called me momma.. My older brother had to pay for it. He rarely comes home since when we were younger she beat him in the back w/ a broom. The day before my senior year of high school started my momma kicked me and my sister and her baby out in the rain and I had to stay w/ my gran for a month. When I was 9 she left me and my sister in my grandmothers care and moved to another city to be w/ one of her boyfriend and til this day she sees nothing wrong w/ her parenting skills.. I remember splashing water in the tub when I was little and I smiled at her and she slapped me had and told me if I crying she would hit me harder and give me something to cry about. She use to let anyone keep and my siblings and the 3 of us ( my brother and sister) were each other's backbone. My gran used to take care of us but when she had a serve stroke and almost died, she's no longer able to do what used to.. My momma doesn't even know her best friend son raped me and I doubt she cares. When my dads brother commited suicide, not once did she hug me, and come to think of it she's never hugged me..but when we get in public she pretends to be the best parent. All of my family knows what goes on but they tell me just pray about it and thing will get better.. Prayer is the first step and taking action is the second step.. I would move in w/ my daddy but he jst as bad as her. I've been self suffienct since I was 9.. She's never be a mom. I remember my gran gave me $300 to get my school stuff and she only have $100 to get a pair of shoes and two pair of pants and took the rest of the money and got her new clothes, hair did, pedicure, and gave some to a guy she's secretly dating.. I don't deserve the bullshit she puts me through... I don't understAnd. My gran says she does it because she's jealous and wants to be young a gain and wants me to hate myself because she can't be me.. Advice needed please what should I do?

- Asked by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 18-21, Student
Family & Parenting / 2 days ago Back To Top

Was she trying to belittle me by saying this?

So my sister and I were talking and throughout the day if I would do something that wasn't to her liking. She'd come out with saying "it's just common sense" to me. So the second to third time she said this I called her out on it.I was trying to explain to her something that I had seen on t. v. Something she had no knowledge of so it had nothing to do with something everyone knew about. I said you might as well just say that I'm dumb. She started telling me "No it's the way your take it ". I told her "You've been saying that phrase "it's common sense" the whole day ". She was trying to belittle me right?

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28
Family & Parenting / 3 days ago Back To Top

do you consider to be a good father or mother

to your kids until they can fly away on their own?parenting and being a role model.

Why do parents who are married let their children get divorced?

I have noticed that married couples when their child gets divorced they don't help much. When their child gets divorced they just support the child's decision even though they know that they should try to have their grandkids in a two parent home. It seems as if they did good in their marriage yet that child failed. Why do they let it happen? I'm not saying to force the child to be with the person. Still aren't the parents married to lead by example. Shouldn't they try to intervene to stop it from happening.

Something else is that these same married parents never speak of what they have put up with their own partner. They just pretend to have a happy family. How is the child suppose to know what a marriage is if they have been lied to their whole lives. Now that child leaves a cheating spouse yet their own dad or mom cheated and their marriage continues. Now that child suffers by leaving a marriage that their mom or dad has been putting up with.

Should I move back or stay where I am for now?

To make a long story short, I am 36 and single but with family abroad. I have lived in this location for years but am bilingual. I don't know if I should move back to where my parents are just to be close to them. I am sorry that I live so far but so far I've just managed to visit when I can. If I move to where they are I am almost certain they would expect even more from me than they already are. They have a tendency to do that and I just really want to have my own life. I wouldn't be moving back Just b/c of them. I have a feeling they would be in my space all the time. I was there for just 10 days visiting and it was much too long of a time.
Thoughts?

Update: February 27, 2015.
I agree with your responses. You know what's even worse is they live in a very beautiful city or suburbs near there. It's such a beautiful country--you can maybe imagine if I say beautiful. Yes, I want my freedom and independence. I'll just have to go visit more often (not just for them) since I grew up there. I've also tried aligning a job I have with the country and it works. I am not particularly excited about this one job but I am really trying to find the right fit for myself. I hope it works out for me, and you as well and wish you a nice weekend

1