GIVE ADVICE ON DIET & HEALTH

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1 2 Next
Diet & Health / 16 hours ago Back To Top

What is your go to meal to make and eat on a cold night.

Beef stew or a meatloaf is what I like.

- Asked by frenchkiss49, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Tampa, Who Cares?
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

What OTC sleep aid is best?

I've been working on about 3-4 hours sleep a night for the past 2 weeks and feel awful. My husband started working 2nd shift so I get woken up when he comes home around 11PM and then again a few hours later when he comes to bed and then don't get much sleep after that. I want to try an OTC drug to see if that will work before trying a prescription one. I go to sleep right away but wake up. I need something that is going to keep me asleep. I've tried melatonin to no avail and need something stronger. Any suggestions?

Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

Eye of the beholder indeed..

I work with a young woman, 23 years old. She's very tall and thin. Dark hair and pretty. She idolizes Victoria's secret models as "perfect beings". I shared with her that my idea of perfect runs along the Serena Williams/Rhonda roussey physique. That I find curvaceous, strong women to be sexy and powerful. She was horrified..and exclaimed she found women with muscles "disgusting". Maybe it's an age thing? I was just shocked her idea of beauty is so narrow and conventional. Also, most men I've met would rather have a curvy fit woman than an extremely skinny one??

- Asked by joygernaut, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Vancouver
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

So I'm having insomnia, and I was looking at the side effects of something I am taking.

I'm cracking up. One is "rapid worm-like movement of tongue". I'm ridiculously amused right now. Another one was "false beliefs which cannot be changed by facts". Also, "fruit-like breath odor". And finally.... "coma".

I'm in stitches.

- Asked by babelfish123, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Los Angeles, Food Service
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

Do you know the number one worst food that harms your brain? take a guess...

The #1 WORST Food that HARMS Your Brain (avoid!)

Some foods you might be eating daily can actually DAMAGE your brain over time. In this article, we'll explore foods that HARM your brain vs foods that PROTECT your brain.

by Mike Geary - Certified Nutrition Specialist
Co-Author of the best seller: The Top 101 Foods that FIGHT Aging

First, the BAD NEWS...

Certain foods you eat can indeed harm your brain, both in impaired learning ability as well as impaired memory. Even worse, the wrong food and drink choices throughout your life can even lead to the terrible and deadly disease of Alzheimers.

A friend of mine just told me that her dad died of Alzheimers recently and it was just a terrible disease where he didn't even know who she was anymore towards the end. It's time our society starts taking degenerative diseases like Alzheimers, cancer, and heart disease more seriously throughout our lives, and not just once it's too late. Even in our 30's, 40's, and 50's, the choices we make with our daily food can PREVENT these terrible diseases.

So let's dig in with the topic today of foods that harm your brain, and what you can do about it...

Food #1 that HARMS your brain: Fructose

In a 2012 UCLA study published in the Journal of Physiology, researchers found that a diet high in fructose over time can damage your memory and learning ability.

Beyond the harm to your brain, it's well known in the research world that a high fructose diet can also cause insulin resistance in your body over time, and possibly lead to type-2 diabetes and extra body fat. If that's not enough, a high fructose diet also detrimentally affects your triglyceride levels in your blood as well as small dense LDL particles that cause plaque in your arteries.

So what we have here is high-fructose intake = impaired memory and learning in your brain, increased risk of diabetes, and increased risk of heart disease. Oh, and we forgot to mention extra belly fat too... Yum - who wants another can of soda pop or a large bowl of corn syrup sweetened ice cream!

The average person eating a modern western diet of processed food consumes a LARGE quantity of fructose without even thinking about it from all of the soft drinks (high fructose corn syrup typically), sweetened juice drinks, orange juice, processed junk foods such as cakes and candies, as well as the HFCS that's added to store-bought salad dressings, breads and cereals, and even condiments like ketchup.

Note that many sports drinks, even though marketed as "healthy", can have large amounts of corn syrup or even crystalline fructose as their main sweetener. These sports drinks can be equally as bad as a soda for your body and your brain. Don't be fooled by the clever marketing showing pictures of pro athletes guzzling this stuff.

Also note that agave syrup (aka, agave nectar) which is marketed as a "healthy" sweetener as well, is one of the most concentrated forms of processed fructose in sweeteners as well. I personally stay away from agave sweeteners as much as possible unless the amounts are very small.

All of these fructose-laden foods and drinks are easy to avoid though if you choose to eat consciously... for example, make homemade salad dressings from your favorite olive oil and vinegar with added spices, or choose to drink unsweetened iced tea with lemon instead of sweetened drinks or juices. If you use a lot of ketchup, try to reduce the quantity by mixing with mustard or hot sauce, which typically don't contain HFCS sweetener in any significant quantities.

Last thing to note about fructose... Yes, natural whole fruits do contain fructose, but generally contain MUCH smaller quantities of fructose than you would consume in a sweetened juice drink, soft drink or sweetened junk foods. Also, the phytonutrients, antioxidants, and fiber that's contained in most whole fruits counteracts any negative effects of fructose. I personally try to keep fruit intake to no more than 1-2 pieces a day due to the sugar and fructose content of larger amounts of fruit.

Here's a trick: Did you know that limes and lemons contain virtually zero fructose, and only 3-4 grams of total carbs in a whole lemon or lime, whereas a typical orange contains 6 grams of fructose and 25 grams of total sugar per fruit. I squeeze lemons and limes daily into either water or teas for a healthy flavorful drink. Fresh lemon juice has even been shown to control blood sugar response from a meal...another bonus!

Other Foods that HARM Your Brain:

You probably already know some of the harmful health effects of these foods, but long term effects on your brain are yet another...

Trans fats -- strongly inflammatory in your entire body including damage to cell membranes throughout your body. Avoid hydrogenated oils in processed foods and deep fried foods.

Mercury -- studies show that mercury from pollution (coal burning plants are the biggest source of mercury pollution to air and water) and from fish that are high on the food chain such as tuna, shark, swordfish, tilefish, etc can possibly cause long term negative effects on your brain. Limit these types of fish to a couple times a month and focus more on fish such as salmon, trout, and many other types of smaller fish to reduce your mercury load.

Wheat-based foods -- In the groundbreaking book, Wheat Belly, Dr William Davis makes a very convincing argument that wheat has addictive properties in the brain. Wheat contains compounds termed "exorphins" that have an effect in your brain similar to opiate drugs. This explains why people have such a hard time giving up their beloved breads, cereals, pasta, and muffins because these foods are mildly addictive.

I know personally from past experience that if I have have a pasta dinner, I'll go back for seconds and thirds as I just can't seem to stop eating the stuff. And then hours after dinner, I'll get cravings for more carb-based foods or sweets. But if I pass on the pasta and just have meat, veggies, and salad, I find myself totally satisfied after dinner with no cravings later at night.

The good news is...

There are plenty of superfoods, herbs, and spices that can protect your brain and your other organs too!

In fact, did you know that turmeric is one of the highest antioxidant spices that also exhibits brain-protecting effects? In India, where curry containing turmeric and other spices is eaten daily, rates of Alzheimers disease is among the lowest in the world, proving some of the brain-protecting effects of turmeric.

In addition, the powerful DHA and EPA omega-3 fats in fish oil has been proven in countless studies to protect your brain from damage over the years.

Protect your brain with THIS trick below...

Simply enter your best email address below and I'll immediately give you access to a brand new, but highly controversial, report showing you a DAILY "brain trick" that.

BOOSTS your brain power, helps to slowly HEAL years of damage to your brain, makes you sharper, and possibly even help to prevent Dementia.

- Asked by jamiesangel777, A Sweet Sarah, Female, Who Cares?
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

What you want to know about the differences between Tyson, Perdue and USDA organic chicken.

Tyson chicken is an American multinational corporation based in Springdale, Arkansas, that operates in the food industry. The company is the world's second largest processor and marketer of chicken, beef, and pork only behind Brazilian JBS S.A., and annually exports the largest percentage of beef out of the United States. With 2011 sales of US$32 billion, Tyson Foods is the second-largest food production company in the Fortune 500, the largest meat producer in the world, and according to Forbes one of the 100 largest companies in the United States. HOWEVER, it's not owned by any American entity. It's owned by Chinese investors. Nothing more really need be said after knowing that.
Perdue has been criticized for its factories' lack of adherence to some basic animal-welfare practices. The guidelines that Perdue follows, created by the National Chicken Council, have drawn criticism for allowing birds to be deprived of light, food, and water for long periods, and also for permitting animals to be hung upside-down by their ankles before slaughter. In 2010, the Humane Society of the United States filed a lawsuit against Perdue for violating a New Jersey consumer fraud law by applying the labels "purely all-natural" and "humanely raised" to its products when reasonable consumers would not consider the conditions Perdue chickens are raised in "humane." The Humane Society filed a similar lawsuit in Florida in April 2013 after an appeal by Perdue to have a similar case rejected was turned down by a federal court. In response, Perdue issued a statement claiming that its practice "exceeds the National Chicken Council guidelines in several areas, including monitoring air quality in the poultry house, video monitoring of live-bird handling areas at the processing plant and USDA audits of producer farms and...hatcheries.
Perdue has also been criticized for contributing to pollution in Chesapeake Bay. In 2010, the Assateague Coastal Trust sued Perdue for violating the Clean Water Act by allegedly allowing excessive chicken manure to run into the bay. The suit was later won by Perdue in October 2012, after the environmental group failed to establish that the waste runoff was from chicken houses.[
Pasture raising of chickens (with plenty of time allowed for pecking, foraging, and moving around outdoors) has been recently analyzed, with fascinating results, by a team of researchers at the University of Perugia in Perugia, Italy. In their study, conventional indoor raising of chickens was compared with organic raising (some outdoor access, but mostly higher quality feed) and also with "organic plus"-meaning organic feed with meaningful time spent outdoors. While organic standards-all by themselves-were sufficient to increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in breast meat obtained from the chickens, it took more than organic standards to improve the breast meat in two other important respects: increase in total antioxidant nutrients and decrease in risk of oxidative damage to fats in the meat. These additional benefits were not observed in the comparison of conventional to organic breast meat, but only in the comparison of organic-plus (pastured) to organic meat. It's worth noting that in this study, "pastured" not only meant time outdoors foraging, pecking, and moving about but also the presence of outdoor space that averaged 10 square meters per bird. The authors concluded that pasture activities were directly linked to the health quality of the meat. These findings are one key reason for our recommendation that chicken be purchased not only when certified as organic, but also when genuinely pasture-raised.

- POP'd by Female, Who Cares?

If you eat chicken, do you prefer to buy Tyson, Perdue, or organic chicken products ?

Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

Do you think it's possible to turn my life around?

I'm a 22 year girl and I've never been to school or high school. I was severely neglected as a child and teenager and I was also never put into school. I've been through a lot of scary, traumatizing stuff that I'd rather not get into. The only reason I know how to read and write is because I self-taught on the computer. Anyways, I really want to get my GED and go to community college and become a veterinary assistant or something to do with animals, but I feel too stupid and I feel like I'll never be able to get my GED. I really don't know what to do and I just want to die already. I have no family or friends, so nobody would miss me if I died. I have nothing to live for and the only reason I'm still alive is because I had an unsuccessful suicide attempt and I'm scared of failing again. I'm an emotionally damaged failure wreck and the world would be better off without me. I've already made my mind up and I'm out of here as soon as I have a foolproof method, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has any advice...

- Asked by lostpup, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, New York, Who Cares?
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

In July, I was 127 pounds. Now, I am 108.

I have not at all been trying to lose weight.
I have been constantly losing weight. I didn't even realize until about December when my friends and family kept telling me I look a lot skinnier. I play sports, so I need to eat a lot and I naturally just love food and I have always been hungry. Recently, in about October, I just started getting full very easily. I still eat so much and snack a lot. My parents thought i was bulimic and I am not. I am not trying to lose weight and I purposely have been trying to eat so much lately. I was 112 when I realize this at the doctors office. Now, I am 108 and I am unintentionally losing weight. I don't know what it is.

- Asked by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 18-21
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

Wouldn't it be awesome do have a phone that could detect Cancer?

Cancer cells emit a different "odor" than normal breath. The Na-Nose technology developed in Israel "smells" your breath to determine if the disease exists. No-Nose has been proven in numerous international clinical trials to differentiate between different types and classifications of cancer with up to 95 percent accuracy.

The Sniff-Phone would link the same technology to a smartphone to provide non-invasive, fast and cheap disease detection. According to the technology's developer, Dr. Hassom Haick, "it will enable immediate and early diagnosis that is both accurate and non-invasive.
Some 1.6 million people worldwide are diagnosed with lung cancer every year. Receiving a diagnosis of lung cancer is all too often a death sentence ---an 85% mortality rate within five years. Reducing that mortality rate is one of medicine's greatest challenges.
Na-Nose's detection device can be used at three different stages. The first, and most critical, is advanced screening. The earlier cancer is detected, the better the survival rate. The second stage is detailed diagnosis and monitoring during the cancer treatment. : a simple breath analysis could mean less radiation or fewer biopsies. And finally, the Na-Nose can be used following successful treatment, to stay on top of any signs that the cancer may be recurring.
This Israeli technology won't be available tomorrow; it still has to go through the lengthy process of FDA approval, etc. But, it's on the way. This Israeli scientist has hit this one on the nose.

- Asked by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55
Diet & Health / 2 days ago Back To Top

help for urinary incontinence

I pee when I cough, sneeze and exercise.
My Doctor has recommended the Apex M from InControl Medical as a alternative to getting the O-shot. I have been going to a physical therapist for the last year to improve this problem with pelvic floor exercises..nothing helps.
I have stress and urge incontinence which is not improving with physical therapy. :(

has anyone used the Apex device before? Heard of the O-shot?

other alternatives? ??

1 2 Next