GIVE ADVICE ON DIET & HEALTH

Select the types of questions to add to your feed:

Topic:
All
Career
Dating
Diet & Health
Family & Parenting
Married Life
Sex & Intimacy
Friendship
Race, Religion & Politics
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else
Recipes & Entertaining
Pets
Style & Beauty
House & Home
In The News
Age:
All
College
20s
30s
40s +
Gender:
For Women and Men
For Women Only
For Men Only
Rating:
PG-rated Questions Only
R-rated Questions Only
All Questions

POP'd Questions:
Display
Hide

Sort Questions

Close
1
Diet & Health / 9 hours ago Back To Top

Running Problems, Need Solutions

I have been obese during my childhood and overweight a decent portion of my adult life.

Dropped quite a bit of weight and put on muscle.

But a checkup not too long ago revealed jumper's knee..... doc said part of it was from playing basketball as much as I did in my youth with the wrong shoes, other part from being obese.

I jog now but can only do it for a while before my left knee aches badly and it is usually sore days after. I purchased a good pair of running shoes that alleviates it somewhat but it is still there.

Any thoughts on what might help?

I LOVE running stairs but HATE the pain afterwards.

- Asked by king313, An Engaged Guy, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Civil Service
Diet & Health / 10 hours ago Back To Top

If you could fix one health issue you have what would it be?

You are able to improve or alleviate one of your health problems what would it be?
Why did you select that particular one if not obvious?

- Asked by lasuz, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Medical / Dental
Diet & Health / 1 day ago Back To Top

Are researchers close to finding away to stop cancer from metastasizing?

To spread, or "metastasize," cancer cells must enter the blood stream or lymph system, travel through its channels, and then exit to another area or organ in the body. This final exit is the least understood part of the metastatic process. Previous research has shown cancer cells are capable of producing "invadopodia," a type of extension that cells use to probe and change their environment. However, their significance in the escape of cancer cells from the bloodstream has been unclear.

In the study, the scientists injected fluorescent cancer cells into the bloodstream of test models, and then captured the fate of these cells using high-resolution time-lapse imaging. Results confirmed the cancer cells formed invadopodia to reach out of the bloodstream and into the tissue of the surrounding organs -- they essentially formed "tentacles" that enabled the tumor cell to enter the organ. However, through genetic modification or drug treatment, the scientists were able to block the factors needed for invadopodia to form. This effectively stopped all attempts for the cancer to spread.

The study findings confirm invadopodia play a key role in the spread of cancer. Most importantly, they suggest an important new target for therapy. If a drug can be developed to prevent invadopodia from forming, it could potentially stop the spread of cancer.

"The spread of cancer works a lot like plane travel," says lead author Dr. Hon Leong, now a Scientist at Lawson Health Research Institute and Western University. "Just as a person boards an airplane and travels to their destination, tumor cells enter the bloodstream and travel to distant organs like the liver, lungs, or brain. The hard part is getting past border control and airport security, or the vessels, when they arrive. We knew that cancer cells were somehow able to get past these barriers and spread into the organs. Now, for the first time, we know how."

"Metastasis is the deadliest aspect of cancer, responsible for some 90% of cancer deaths," says Dr. John Lewis, the Frank and Carla Sojonky Chair in Prostate Cancer Research at the University of Alberta. "These new insights give us both a new approach and a clinical window of opportunity to reduce or block the spread of cancer."
I read this at Science Daily.

- Asked by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55
Diet & Health / 2 days ago Back To Top

I''m losing weight and my left side is still Large compared to my right, could this be weight loss?

Or could it be something I should be concerned about?
I've always have had a large tummy but later I've lost weight and my right side is getting slimmer. But my left and a little in my
Mid middle(abdomen) areas aren't really budging. Should I be concerned this could be something wrong with something in my left side? :/
Jus wondering or is the weight loss gotta catch up in that side? Lol!
Sucks cuz I still look pregnant even though I'm not and it looks odd that's left is fatter or bulgier than my right. And I'm losing weight or getting toned everywhere else so I look preggo even more. :P

- Asked by ellekassia26, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Home Maker
Diet & Health / 2 days ago Back To Top

How much pain meds are too much?

I am in my mid 20s, about 5'6" and 131 lbs...im fairly muscular as well. My knee and shoulder are messed up from fast pitch softball (played for almost 9 years)...bursitis in my pitching arm and arthritis in my right knee from 2 ACL reconstructions (no cartilage left in knee). So I take anywhere between 4000 to 6000 mg of acetiminophen a day, or 6 to 8 aspirin or ibuprofen. Is this too much for my height or weight? Been having some stomach pain and diarrhea lately...

Diet & Health / 2 days ago Back To Top

What should I do about this?

I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks. It's in the city and I'll have to take the resin in. It's a great paying job in a field I like. For dome reason I get anxious traveling in crowded places, by car & train alone. I like to be with a friend etc. When I travel alone & under pressure I get anxious. My doctor recommended celexa to help. I'm scared to try it. Not sure what to do. I really want this job and font want to let my fears stop me. Does anyone else have issues like this and how do you deal with it? Thank you

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Other Profession
Diet & Health / 2 days ago Back To Top

Did I screw up my internal thermostat?

I've been doing intense running in the heat all summer, and now regular temperatures have me freezing.. even 60F! What can I do? I *hate* the cold, and I'm just not getting used to it any more! Help!

- Asked by A Sportif, Female, 22-25
Diet & Health / 3 days ago Back To Top

If your teen had visual problems

and wanted to get contacts how would you respond?

Diet & Health / 3 days ago Back To Top

Have you heard that scientist may have a cure for food allergies?

The team found that young children overexposed to antibiotics were at greater risk of developing food allergies. Thankfully, though, they also discovered a way to combat the impact of antibiotics, which, theoretically, could potentially cure people of their food allergies.

The research: The study, published this month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggests a strong link between food allergies and early childhood use of antibiotics. Researchers were able to identify a naturally occurring bacteria in the human gut that keeps people from developing food allergies. But it turns out that the beneficial gut bacteria diminished with frequent antibiotic use at a young age - making children more susceptible to food allergies later in life.

The researchers tested their hypothesis by feeding antibiotics to young mice and discovered that they were more likely to develop peanut sensitivity than the control group.

The solution: After being fed a healthy dose of antibiotics, the mice were introduced to a solution containing Clostridia - the positive bacteria that naturally occurs in mammalian guts - and lo and behold, the mice's sensitivity went away. They were no longer allergic.

The research "opens up new territory" and "extends the frontier of how the microbiome is involved" in immune responses, Martin Blaser, an infectious disease specialist and microbiologist at NYU, told Science.

What does this mean? Food allergies have been on the rise in recent decades, having increased by 50% just between 1997 and 2011. If, as this new research suggests, modern society's dependence on antibiotics is the chief reason for this increase, we should be thankful for the study's potential breakthrough.

1