Why do women play with their hair someti...
1:12 PM - Wednesday April 07, 2004

Why do women play with their hair sometimes? you know, they kind of twirl their finger in their hair.
Also, why do girls sometimes sniff their hair? I see this happen now and then and it puzzles me.

- Asked by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, San Francisco, Technical

If you see a women playing her hair it means she is flirting with someone either with you or with somebody else. She see potential guy that intrique her so she start flirting. Its a body languages.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Vancouver, Technical

It's because we like it to smell damn good.

Also, we are flirting and or checking out the new shampoo we just got. We see those commercials for pretty hair and want ours to be silky, pretty, that sorta thing. It's a girly thing.

If it's a nice texture sometimes we are fantasizing some guy running his fingers through it or smelling it and ...sensual stuff.

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 22-25, Denver

bordem sometimes- other times its a nervous twitch , or she could be tryint to seductivly flirt with you
we want to know if it smells good.

- Response by kdawg, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Oklahoma City, Teaching

we want to know if it smells good.

playing with hair is kind of like a fiddgety habit for me, like biting your nails. I sniff my hair somtimes to, I have a rasberry shampo that smells nice...its better then lifting my arm to smell me rasberry deoderant, dot you think?

- Response by sweetlilbichic, A Player, Female, 18-21, Charlotte, Home Maker

hee hee i was doing that very thing when i saw this question. here are some reasons:
1. Nervousness
2. Habit
3. Insecurity
4. Just couldn't get it right this morning

as for smelling it.. i guess if she washed it and likes the shampoo she'd do that.. cause i do. Or just the opposite.. she didn't wash her hair and is checking for funkiness :)

- Response by liltalian, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

Oh, the marvelous hair twirl -- our subtle "I am woman, see me be so cute" It means we're in mega girl flirt mode. We're showing you that we feel sexy and girlie. As for the hair sniff, it's the same girlie mode but this one is to make sure that the hair is up to par, just in case someone wants to take a whiff (usually happens on a good hair day). Hope this helps.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, Philadelphia, Administrative

I play with my hair when I feel nervous. I smell my hair when i want to see if I am smelling good.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Kansas City, Artist / Musician / Writer

playing with hair can be flirting, but some women just twirl. girls sniff their hair to see if it smells good.

- Response by bethwylie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Kansas City, Administrative

I think its a habbit, a girlish thing to do. I do it sometimes myself and my male co-workers will tease me.
It feels nice and it smells good ...
I guess?

Hope my answer was helpfull.

- Response by shoma, A Sweet Sarah, Female

Hair-twirling may be somewhat of a nervous habit, like cracking one's knuckles or biting one's nails. Many women seem to do it absent-mindedly, like they aren't meaning to. As for hair-sniffers, they probably do it for the same reason anyone would sniff something: either to make sure it smells good or because they already know it does.

- Response by girrrl, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, San Antonio, Student

Its too get the males attention. It send off phermones or sex scents to the male and lets the male know they are in heat so to speak.

- Response by lynn123, A Life of the Party, Female, 18-21, Phoenix

The twirling of the hair is a kind of a nervous tick. A fidgity thing. I think of hair twirlers and being deeply disturbed individuals though and stay away. LOL
As for the smelling thing... lol.. we have so many wonderful smelling shampoos, that we can't help it. Sometimes it's to enjoy the smell and sometimes it's to check and see if the smell is still there or has dissipated. No biggie there. LOL
Hope that helps :}

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, San Francisco, Other Profession

Sometimes it is just a bad and somewhat annoying habit. I have also heard that some women play with their hair as a sign of attraction towards someone else. As for sniffing...maybe she really likes the smell of her shampoo :) That seems like a kind of strange thing to do!

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Phoenix, Managerial

they sniff their hair because it smells good or sometimes to see if it smells like food odors or cigarette smoke from the environment they were in. It can become a bad habit that they aren't aware of, which is what the finger twirling is. Personally when I know I've cut my hair too short is when I have to become aware of my search for a strand to twirl around my finger. I usually do this while in deep thought or preoccupied with something this includes periods of boredom.

Once explanation for my own developed habit is that my hands are constantly in motion of some sort during waking hours and I had to learn techniques early in life that occupied my hands in less annoying manners hence the hair twirling. I can't say it was a nervous habit but it can be. When I was nervous I chewed my finger nails to the quick. But it is a habit that like the sniffing of the hair for odors develops over time and more often than not we females are unaware that we are engaing in this tic unless you make us aware.

- Response by coach2004, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Dallas

play with hair: subtle way to flirt (if it is accompanied with 'the eye' we are 100% wanna get ur attention)
sniff their hair: after bath, shampooed, smells good. nothing particular..

- Response by strikingyellow, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Singapore, Student

Sometimes when women play with their hair, especially when talking with a guy, it's a indication of interest.

I work for a lady who twirls her hair out of a nervous habit. . .that makes me a little crazy.

As far as sniffing hair. . .I have long hair and do that occasionally, just to see if my hair smells good. It's hard to explain. . .I mean, there are hundreds of different kinds of shampoos available, with a variety of scents. I try all different kinds, and sometimes I just like to know if it makes my hair smell "fruity" or "flowery," etc.

Interesting question. . .I wasn't even aware guys noticed stuff like that.

- Response by auburnlion, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

Girls play with it because it is a habit and we smell it becuase it smells good!

- Response by 27veronika, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Denver, Lawyer

cuz were bored or nervous. we smell our hair cuz it smells good.

- Response by artisticjewels, A Creative, Female, 18-21, Detroit, Food Service