Boyfriend's family trying to be nice to me now
Family & Parenting / 1:10 PM - Tuesday November 26, 2013

My boyfriend's family invited me to Thanksgiving dinner after they allowed his niece to cussed at me 2 weeks ago on Facebook. I was hurt by the cussing and told my boyfriend that she need to show respect. He called his brother and stick up for me against them. I found out that I got to work on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday. Some of his family feel that I should have give up my work schedule to show up to the Thanksgiving dinner. I wasn't going to go to the Thanksgiving dinner if I didn't have to work. I feel that they treat me like an outsider sometimes by being nice to my to my face but talk about me badly behind my back. I just want to be respected as a person. I got that chance to stand up for myself and told them that I am not kissing their butt to get respect or approval from them anymore. I was surprised to get a Thanksgiving dinner invitation from them after I stand up for myself.

Why did my boyfriend invited me to Thanksgiving dinner after I stand up to them and tell them to stop acting selfish?

- Asked by missy74, A Sportif, Female, 36-45, Indianapolis, Other Profession

When you stand up for yourself your showing them they can't walk all over you. Since you have to work see if you can pass by during the weekend and see what they have to say. They'll most likely apologize to you and that will be that. If it happens again inform your boyfriend he will have to talk with them again.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28