I have to do 40 hours of community service.
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 6:19 PM - Tuesday October 15, 2013

I really don't like the list of companies they gave me to choose from. Can't I just do service with any non profit company that uses tax code (501c)? Its court ordered..

Update: October 15, 2013.
The form specifically says: A PARTIAL LIST OF NON-PROFIT AGENCIES THAT USE VOLUNTEER WORKERS. Non-profit agencies use tax codes 501(c)(3)(4) All non-profit churches, synagogs, and temples Note: If you use an agency other than what is listed here, check with that agency to make sure they use the following tax code 501(c)(3)(4). Thanks for answering my question, I found the list and it cleared up my question. I wanted to work at the Free Mason Church here. That is why I asked because they weren't on the list but it clearly states all churches and temples. You all get stars even though you were wrong. TY :-)

Update: October 15, 2013.
I don't just call up a judge whenever I want to. The work performance sheet just gets sent to the building when completed.

- Asked by diglebe2, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Can you ask your lawyer?

Also, I don't want to be rude here, but isn't court-ordered community service a punishment for something? I'm not sure we get to choose the punishment that pleases us.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

They gave you THAT list not bc it's a suggestion, but bc they have a strong, formal working arrangement with them regarding the reporting of your completion (or not) of the required time.

Failure to comply with the court ordered Community Service at one of those vetted organization within the allotted time period will just piss of the judge and states attorney's office and get you fined, incarcerated or otherwise penalized...

AND if this CS requirement is to avoid getting a criminal record ie a Conditional Discharge or plea bargain, you'll screw that up to and that could effect your ability yo vote, get a job, get a passport or a security clearance for a job, etc.

If it's regarding a DUI, you won't be able to drive again.

You don't have to LIKE the list, you just have to USE the list.

- Response by springbreaker, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Toronto, Self-Employed

if you get a letter from the director of the non profit and take it to the judge they will probably allow it

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

If you know of a 501C company you want to work for propose it to the judge.

You don't like the kind of guy that would do a crime at all I like her hat if this is you.

- Response by pawsbuddy04, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

I think the problem is, not all 501c organizations would feel *ahem* "safe" having community service people around. You have to have the whatever-it-is signed that you worked *so* many hours that day and I don't think just anybody at just any organization would do or would do it.

It sucks, but not everbody wants *ahem* "felons" *ahem* working for them.

That's how they see it...forever wondering what you "did."

If it's court mandated the court has contracted with those agencies to follow your hours and make sure you do them. They aren't going to let you pick and choose where you want to do your community service because it's a punishment. Geeze Louise....if you can't do the time don't do the crime. BTW you resemble my ex a bit. That's just scary.

- Response by joybird, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?