Why have Daylight Savings' Time?
In The News / 12:15 PM - Friday October 11, 2013

Why have Daylight Savings' Time?

Maybe where _you_ live Daylight Savings Time isn't so-bad. But here-in Asheville, NC it Reeks. :-( Here, we live just-about 80-miles to the East of the border between the Eastern & the Central time zones. Especially mornings are dark in Asheville.

The _lone_ reason that I have heard as justification is this: "People $pend more cash the lighter it is in the evening." (Has _anyone_ heard-of a different reason, please?) Hardly Wholesome.

September _used_ to be the time when we Fall Back. But because our Federal Government is _so_ greedy in its wisdom, Congress set the date that we Americans go-back to Standard Time as the first Sunday in November.

This is Absurd! Please let me know how you feel about Daylight Savings Time. Thank you. :-)

- Asked by iamback, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Charlotte, Other Profession

I live in AZ, so I don't have to really deal with it anymore. It's nice! It was begun by Benjamin Franklin as a way of giving farmers more daylight hours to work. I'm with the Native American chief (don't know which one) that said,"Only a white man would cut a foot off the bottom of a blanket and sew it to the top and think he had more blanket." It's a ridiculous practice that has no bearing on our non-farming based economy and society.

- Response by blazinggoddess, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Phoenix, Financial / Banking

I actually prefer Daylight Savings over standard. At least, one gets a bit of sun later in the day

- Response by ilom, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

Yes, I hate the government messing with our lives. They just do it to exercise their power and keep the sheeple busy obeying. Government ought to be forced to go fix a road or something useful and get the F off our backs.

It does bring a good benefit to students (and adults) who are in winter sports. It stays daylight longer so that you can be outdoors running. Also, any events one must travel to after school would be in daylight hours, making it safer for students and younger drivers to travel. It was very important to me to run in the daylight for safety.

- Response by beachinbeachboy, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Consulting

Here is Canadaland, time change is first weekend in November. I imagine most of North America is the same (for the most part).

I find it all confusing. I'd rather just have it stay the same.

- Response by lasuz, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Medical / Dental