If my ex wife's name is on a deed for a piece of property, is she required to pay property taxes?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 9:15 PM - Friday September 13, 2013

Before my father died he gave a piece of property to my wife (we were legally married at the time) and me. So now that we are divorced is she still legally obligated to pay half of the yearly property taxes on it?

- Asked by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

Depends on what was settled in the divorce. If you got the property then you really need to file a Special Warrant Deed and have this property deeded solely to you. Now if you just want her to pay your taxes for you then sure if she's on the deed she would be just as much liable as you are. This also means she can sell the damn thing and keep all the proceeds. So what's your real question or motive here?

If she is on the deed, then yes she has to pay her share.

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Sorry it should have said Special Warranty Deed.

Yes she is to pay half of the taxes.

- Response by pawsbuddy04, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

What were the terms on property settlement in your divorce? You should have raised that question to your attorney. He can tell you what your legal obligations are, as well as hers.

- Response by 3wiltedroses, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

That is a question you need to ask of your divorce attorney and refer back to your Marital Settlement Agreement or Order of court if it was actually tried before a judge. Your MSA or order should have addressed the issue with regard to responsibility for the property. Depending on how things were split up, you could have been ordered to maintain the property in lieu of paying her spousal support, you could be equally responsible. There are too many variables and without actually reading your MSA or order, no one can answer that question. It should be addressed in your divorce decree though. If not, contact the attorney who handled your divorce.

- Response by diznykd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

Women don't use money once they enter into marriage. The man does all of the money handling, if you must divorce her, ask her father these questions. Women of the Good Book never handle money in that fashion.

- Response by abagailsmythe, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

I would say yes, but if neither of you pay it, a tax lien will be on it and you could essentially lose it to a tax lien sale.

Next question is, neither of you declared it in the divorce? I say this because since she's on the deed, she owns half of the property and your stuck if she doesn't want to sell if you wanted to get out from under it. Plus, the tax office doesn't "divide" the taxes due between those on the deed. You may want to talk to your divorce attorney about this since neither of you came to an agreement on it when it comes to paying taxes and probably even selling it.