How long is too long to reply to a text?
Friendship / 9:51 AM - Wednesday August 28, 2013

I have this one friend who takes two to three days to respond to my text messages. She will always respond with "Oh i'm sorry" or oh I'm sorry I've been busy" than give the reply. I understand busy but how busy can you be to reply to a text hours maybe later in a day but not two to three. Could it be that she simply doesn't care. She finally responded Monday to a text I sent her friday and I didn't even bother to text her back.

Actually if they have two cars it is the best idea ever.... It is pain switching those things out. I bought an extra for my sis just for that purpose.

lol, Sounds like my sister. Either your friend has a lot going on & is busy as she mentioned (like my sis) or you're not a priority sadly to say. She may not be an avid texter as many are not. The real test is does she take the initiative to call or text you?

- Response by syncaset, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Personally, I am like your friend. It doesn't fit my lifestyle to be tied to my phone. If someone just wants to chat, I reply when convenient for me. If they need immediate information, I reply right away.

I have come to see that there is, indeed, several different schools of thought on this...and it has become problematic at times. I know many people, who live with one finger poised over their phone keyboard to text. Literally, they use it on a moment to monent basis and have become desenitized to the fact that others may not be as devoted to their personal communication device as much as they are. If a minute or five goes by and they do not get a response they are highly insulted and angry. Speaking for myself, I could care less about texting, and only even think to check now and then, as well as my voicemail, I have not noticed messages for a week at a time. I don't think that 3 day response is that odd, but we all need to consider others' lives and schedules.

- Response by nysbikergirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Wow, you expect quick responses, but don't even text people back. You might want to proactice what you preach before attacking others.

She should respond to you within a day. But, you've been on this about this woman forever. Why can't you accept that she doesn't consider you as much of a priority or friend, as you do her. She doesn't care if you're hurt by her delays in responding to you. It's time for you to move on from this friend. You do have other friends right?

Would it be more considerate to respond? Yes. But, if a person doesn't act like they care, busy or not; they usually don't. I know plenty of busy people, myself included, who answer texts as they're received. But, some people are busy. They respond when they feel like it, or not at all.

Sometimes, technology doesn't work as it should. For example: Text messages have delays depending on whether a person sends them via data or wifi. Sometimes, people have told me they've sent me something and I don't see it. I hardly ever use my data on my cell phone. So, when I do which might be days later, I'll see multiple texts just start coming through back to back, from previous days.

Now, that I know this, I will cut on my data just to see if messages come through. So, you have to understand that inconsideration is no excuse. But, there are times when people have things that are more of a priority than idle chit chat. If it's important it's best to call.

You can't make a person value you. If they don't, you just have to move on. Don't keep doing the same thing, keep complaining to them about it, or keep expecting them to feel guilty. She doesn't. So, just move on from her. There are many people I'm a friend to. But they are truly not what I consider to be friends.

They're more like buddies or pals. I don't expect others to do things as I'd do them. This type of desire can lead to a lot of disappointments. I can handle knowing this. But, I'm not going to continue trying to be friends or communicate with someone that doesn't seem to give a crap about my friendship.

Maybe she's busy.

- Response by candiedcherry01, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55

I rarely use my cell phone- it is rarely turned on. If you text me there is a 90% chance I will not get it for a week. There is a 5% xhance it was never delivered because I exceeded the number of texts my phone will receive.

I know people your age are more text/phone dependent but I am just giving you my perspective. If you really need to talk to me call both my numbers and leave a message to call you back and mention it is important. Or make a plan with me so we can talk in person.