Family who don't show moral support
Sex & Intimacy / 12:32 PM - Tuesday August 13, 2013

Family who don't show moral support

I went to a family reunion last weekend. It was so nice to see the fun and laughing with my family members. The family reunion was on my mom's side of the family. I feel blessed to be part of a family who is there for each other during the bad and good times. I feel that my boyfriend's family is very selfish. His mother don't have the caring heart to show the moral support toward me and her son's dating relationship. I was able to confronted her about it and move on from the friendship with her. I deleted her on Facebook and my cellphone. His brother is starting to come back around him and calling him all the times now. I think his wife and mother were trying to brainwashed him from showing moral support to my boyfriend. My boyfriend's sister in law was a nice person when I first met her but she changed to a different person. She is starting to act like her mother in law. I confronted my boyfriend's sister in law and told her that she need to be her own person. She told me that she had a long talk with my boyfriend's mother about showing moral support toward us. They decide that they will not do it because her mother in law don't like me. She admitted to me that she don't care about my feelings. I was able to let go of the friendship with my boyfriend's sister in law. Family are supposed to be there for each other during the bad and good times. You never know when that loved ones will be gone. Some people lived with the guilt and shame.

Why are my boyfriend's mother and sister in law are very selfish and do you think I did the right thing in stopped being friends with them?

when you learn that families are just a crrcus without a tent.you won't be so upset about your boyfriend's brood.

Many families don't go overboard over their son's girlfriends as they don't want to get too attached as girls/women come and go...

Every family has it's own set of dynamics, and many are dysfunctional. Some just accept how they are and don't thinks it's bad at all. You need to do what is comfortable for you in this situation. Of course the ideal, is that family should have one another's back, offer love and support, but many do not do this and it is the 'norm' for them. My family is not close nor supportive at all, but I am very much so to my kids and grandkids. Who knows why..? At a much younger age we were all close, but age, circumstances, marriage, health issue,death....all changes things.

- Response by nysbikergirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

OMG, you are reading my mind! I don't have the support I wish I could have had, so I looked elsewhere, such as long time friends and new friends and the church, and boyfriends.

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental