Does being the first person called for an interview mean anything?
Career / 9:35 AM - Friday July 12, 2013

I just had an interview yesterday for a job I really want. What I do is such a small area of work that I was lucky to find it. It's a graphics position but more specified to an certain area. I was told yesterday that they received about 70 resumes, but they aren't interviewing that many, and I was the first interview. She said they get a lot of graphic design people applying but this isn't a design position just a production position with perhaps 10% design involved.

They said they hope to have someone in the next 2 weeks. Do you think I have an advantage being the first interview? Do you think they chose me for that because I seemed the most qualified?

It makes sense they would interview first, the person with the resume' that stood out, or caught their attention. Will you get the job? (Who knows) at least you are being considered...

- Response by billpayer, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Yes. It means putting better than your best talents on the table. The interviewer must than find someone better than you for the position. Doing your homework prior and getting a good nights sleep can help. Think you bested the others? A phone call or e-mail may let you know. Good Luck!

- Response by nomadbum, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Self-Employed

No. It just mean your resume or application was on top. Unless, she told you, you were the most qualified, I wouldn't assume that. She still has others she might interview that prove that not to be so. I do believe you have a good chance of getting hired though.

They will weed out those who are looking for a graphic designer position. She's already stated many are looking for that position and it isn't what they're offering. You on the other hand, are looking for the position they're hiring for.

The fact that they're looking to have their new employee in place within two weeks, make your interview being the first interview a good spot to be in. They don't seem to want to waste too much time with multiple interviews. Good luck to you. I hope you get the job!

being called first means nothing. it means someone has to be first and you resume was on top.. I am not saying you don't have a good chance at it.. I am an employer but I admit if I am interviewing over weeks I tend to remember the most recent ones.. so make sure you call back and I HOPE you wrote that hand written thank you note!! those go a long way with me.

I think being first helps. I hope you get it.