Carpet on hardwood floors? Will it damage my floors?
Sex & Intimacy / 12:15 PM - Saturday June 15, 2013

carpet on hardwood floors? Will it damage my floors?

I plan on renting my apartment and I do not want my hardwood floors to be ruined. Is there a carpet I can put over my floors that will not ruin my hardwood?

any advice would be appreciated

It's not so much the carpet as how the floor is treated beneath it and what kind of padding you have under. I have a house with carpet over hardwood and when we finally ripped out the carpet, the floor was a mess because it had never been sealed (an absolute must), so anything spilled on the carpet went right through and into the porous wood, and the "padding" was the cheapest, tissue-thin garbage available. Get the floor sealed first, get good padding, and the wood should be just fine.

- Response by ottergrl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

It's done quite a bit, just make sure you get a high quality under carpet ... Not the cheap newspaper think under carpet.

- Response by ilom, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

Oh there's a downside with carpeting with tenants .... Cigarette burns.

No. Stains from spills, nails and screws, fading, bleaching. All these things and more can be hidden from view with carpeting. Remember this is why most people carpet their floors in the first place. To hide imperfections and damage. Carpet a beautiful wood floor? No.

- Response by nomadbum, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Self-Employed

I would specify that they must use area rugs in high traffic areas and give an explanation of how to maintain the wood. If you cover them with wall to wall, spills can seep through carpet and cause spots. Area rugs can be removed and cleaned if there is a spill. Take a good amount for the security deposit and screen your applicants wisely.

- Response by pookiedoo, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Just seal the floors and clean them regularly.
As an aside....why is this placed in the Sex & Intimacy category?

- Response by pinkskittles722, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 18-21, Fitness

Don't forget if u put carpeting Down, there's going to be nails and staples put in to hold the carpet down. I just tore some carpeting up and took out the nails and staples and scratched the floor getting all them out. so, I think ur prob gonna be better off just getting the floors sealed really good. My floors r sealed and I have had spills and messes thatsat for a while and they just wipe right up. No stains. But, u'll still get scratche s, so if the tenant has a dog, its gonna ruin the floor with his nails. Ur in a no win situation. I'd tell the tenants that u want rugs in the rooms.