Question of the day....Can common sense be taught?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 5:04 PM - Thursday June 06, 2013

- Asked by thekissbandit, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Unless there are developmental disabilities or learning disabilities or traumatic brain injuries that prevent it than yes common sense can be taught.

- Response by joybird, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Or common decency?

I am so over the bullying. Seriously. The lady is like 84, 85 years old....

Sorry, using your post to vent....

It just makes me ILL the way they go after her....it's sickening. When it's done "in real life?"

These same people are OUTRAGED. But yet....?

Maybe it's time for an answerology break....I'm off all next week.

Think I'll stay away till I can get some perspective back.

I previously thought so until I read some of the posts on this site.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Question is, can common sense be learned from those older than we are?

Yes.

Common sense becomes so after it is part of your natural thinking process.

I think a big issue ( not the primary one ) is that some people grow up with discussions and teachings and others don't.

Education as well as many other attributes of individuals are not equal. In a world where we want to equal out all people and keep the cream from rising we sometimes miss that.

So what you may understand well - I don't because of upbringing or lack of desire to learn.

But we always have the power of choice to change our spirit, mind, emotion, body etc ...

|| DK ||

- Response by ddkk, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Philadelphia, Political / Government

C star to hyngirl I agree 100 percent, its boring now... and we will now have to suffer a diatribe of posts about how people who think this way are intellectually challenged and the experts will try and show us proof and the bullying will go on in the name of science and god.... how boring... little lives people lead..

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

No. Not from a book either. You live and you learn. You'll become wise or you'll remain ignorant. These things don't come from book knowledge. Which is why you have the multitudes of the most ridiculous *intelligent* people walking the face of this earth. IMHO

Common sense is supposed to be obvious. That's why people say use a bit of common sense. It's supposed to be natural, something that most people have got by default. Problem is they don't. Some people have to learn the hard way. You can teach people all sorts of stuff, doesn't mean they will put it into practice.

Hm. This is not a common question and I will have to give it some thought. Ok, there is this: Common sense requires a pretty good concept of cause and effect. So if one has a grasp of Pavlov's experiment with bells and dogs, learning common sense would seem possible. But life is strange and it would also seem that the probability of successfully imparting common sense is very low.

Of course. Babies aren't born with common sense. They have to learn.

- Response by distinctlybeautiful, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

I image that it can be taught.
Especially if that person is willing to learn about how common sense can be helpful and useful.

No.
If it could be taught we'd have no liberals.

- Response by newyorkjoe, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Lawyer

No. That is exactly why it is called common sense. It is because it cannot be taught.

- Response by size008, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, New York, Retired

Yes, I think if a person is an only child and their parents are VERY detailed in raising them, and often state the obvious, it CAN BE TAUGHT as you are growing up.

My parents taught me common sense, I believe.
They teach you to look both ways before crossing the street, my Mom taught me safety in public, to not stick your finger in a light socket.

Yeah, SOMEONE taught you those things. As you mature, you forget their exact words and start to believe you "know better". But really, your parents raised you right to develop and err on the side of caution.

However, yeah, I guess there ARE some people who have no common sense and are utter dumbasses, yet their parents are brilliant and responsible. That does happen.
SOME people can't be taught anything because they wont LISTEN.

I feel that My parents did a good job teaching me about Common Sense.

"COMMON SENSE: sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts" yes, parents should be helping a child evaluate a situation and make judgment calls based on facts.

- Response by discotrash, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas, Other Profession

OK think about it this way
1. we all start out with a blank slate as a mind
2 our parents or caregivers teach us about things or situations that will harm us
3 we test what we have been taught by experimenting with the opposite teachings
4 we either get hurt by pain or consequences of our bad choice when we don't do as we are told..

so if you take your toddler to the street and just let them go will they walk out in front of the car or will they stop first? Or be so afraid they won't eve go near the street?

you can follow this rule throughout your life..if you are taught common sense to not walk ut in the street as a child then it becomes second nature to who you are..those who are not taught..don't get it or hey suffer along the way many times until they do..

- Response by riverboat, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Lawyer

If that were true, don't you think common sense would be more common? IJA

More like can it be learn

- Response by hatefemales, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35