Misdemeanor charge and college admissions: will this deny acceptance?
Career / 8:52 AM - Monday April 29, 2013

I know it will for financial aid. Will it deny acceptance to a college degree program if that(which was theft, items returned within a day) is the only charge on record?

my apologies to uasked--I look at avatars not names and snoopie is snoopie haha

Theft is theft. You need to talk to your local administration to find out what your options are. You have just altered your future.

- Response by uasked, A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Veterinary

Is it for theft what Mamu said? It will be on your record and show up for 3 years for sure and if people do like an FBI search it will show up forever. Smoking weed is a misdemeanor so is driving with expired liscense plates--kinda stupid so it depends I think. If that would not let you into college, I don't think there would be many in college...

It is noteworthy that a quarter of the schools that collect Criminal justice information from applicants report that they do not use that information as a basis for denying admission.
Disclosure of a criminal record is more likely to trigger additional screening rather than automatic disqualification. Sixty-one percent report that they consider criminal justice information in the admissions decision, while a quarter of the responding schools report that they have created at least some
criminal justice-related automatic bar to admission. Convictions for a violent or sex offense are the most likely to trigger an automatic denial of admission.
Of the schools that responded to the survey indicating that they impose some special requirements for applicants with criminal records, almost 40 percent stated that they do not admit students who have not yet completed their term
of community supervision.

- Response by joybird, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?