Need to find a new job
Career / 2:38 PM - Thursday April 11, 2013

Need to find a new job

I'm looking online for jobs in my state (most of my family is here), but unfortunately there aren't a lot of jobs out there that I'm qualified for. Given my experience, do you have suggestions for particular fields or companies I should look at?

- I have seven years worth of management or supervisory experience: 4 years as a shift manager at McDonald's, a year as an assistant store manager at Burger King, and my current position as a supervisor of two units with Sodexo (also food service) on the college campus
- A bachelors degree in Elementary education with highly qualified status in math and science and a year of experience teaching 7th grade
- High amount of cash handling experience during a year as a teller at a credit union.
- Rank of Eagle Scout in the BSA

I'd really like to get out food service once and for all and get into something that I can make a career out of.

Do you want to get back into teaching? If so, I'd suggest first applying as a substitute teacher for whatever county you are in- that way you can get in good w/ the school system and then slowly but surely land a job back in teaching. All you need is a college degree for substituting (or at least that is how it is around here- substitute teachers w/ degrees make about $130 a day around here in Va).

- Response by nonnahsvd, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

gosh, why didn't you stay in teaching? lord knows it's difficult, but the world really needs good teachers, and I think male teachers are particularly needed for Junior High age kids. I encourage you to teach again.

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

Teaching equals same day shift hours,off early to enjoy the rest of the day/evening,every major holiday off with extended Christmas vacation,and summers off? Why would you even consider the punishing work environments of retail or fast food industries. Obviously applying in a neighboring upscale district will pay considerably more than a lower socio-economic school.Retail now expects supervisors and area mangers to do the associate or grunt work plus responding to check lane crises...get out of the rut and at least enjoy the respect society gives teachers there is none in retail or fast food.

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

Friends. Talk to your acquaintances about what's going on in your area. I guess you'd like education? Having done actual work with fast food places, could you get a job training at fast food places? It would be kind of mobile but it would be a job?

Peace.

- Response by kravjar666, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Consulting

I quit my tech career, since it was tanking anyway, and learned horseshoeing. There are shoeing schools all over the country, most only go two or three months.
All my clients are women!

Can you sub? Apply!! 80 bucks a day is better than smelling like hamburger all day I guess. I would get a job coach at the unemploymen office to work with you to revise your resume to make those burger skills transfer into other possibilites. At your age you will surely find a new job. You are the target age group that gets the jobs!! So work on the reusme, cover letter as to why you want to go in the direction your degree is in, and practice interviewig skills. You have a great work history so I think you will not have a problem finding a job you like. I would also suggest getting your Masters at night or while you are still working if you can....

Why aren't you utilizing your teaching degree? What career are you most passionate about? That is the one I'd go with. Good luck!

please go to
www.bdjobs.com

- Response by ratanbss, A Life of the Party, Male, 26-28, Dhaka

28 years of work and education
Ph.D. in PA
M.A. in HR

unemployed since June 1, 2012.
suicidal since March 1, 2013
on welfare since March 6, 2013.
bitch since March 26, 2013.