Looking for a job. What to start with?
Career / 4:40 PM - Thursday March 07, 2013

Looking for a job. What to start with?

I've just started looking for a new job but I have no idea what to start with.

I just read a couple of ads but when I read what skills and experience they are looking for I just want to give up straightaway. I mean, in my current job people are coming and leaving all the time. I know what my current jobs is about and I know that a lot of those new people don't know much about it but they are trained and that's how it works.

But when I'm looking on the ads online, it just looks terrifying!!! If I managed to get my current (first) job and if they are taking on new people to be trained all the time, then there should be more companies like that? How do I find them then?

How and where to look for ads with jobs that I don't necessarily need too much experience but they can train me and at the same time pay well?

BTW, I'm talking about office jobs :-)

Oh, and it would be perfect if that job had something to do with languages, as that is my field... but not necessarily.

There are a lot of companies who are willing to train, but understand you'll take a pay cut going into a job where you're a trainee. For a lot of employers, it's not cost effective to take on trainees because they need someone who can step in and, aside from just asking routine questions as to how the company does a particular thing what way, just figure out what needs to be done.

If you're not happy in your particular field or with the lack of advancement, then I'd suggest either taking night classes to extend your knowledge and abilities so you're promotable or learn another entirely different field with more potential and more diversity. Don't waste your time reading ads that you don't qualify for, it's daunting and a time waster. There are a lot of office positions such as in law offices where they would prefer you to be bilingual, so even if you start as a receptionist and take a small pay cut, if you show an affinity for legal work, they will be willing to train you to become an assistant legal secretary. You have to decide if the line of work your in is worth staying in and if so, upgrade your skills to be considered for management, or retrain in something else. There are plenty of night courses where you can get a degree in 9 months in some things.

- Response by diznykd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

I don't know what state you are in, but every state I have lived in had employment services. You go there, take classes, fix up your resume, and they have access to virtually every opening in your area. They will help you understand what you can qualify for, and where you can go if you need more credentials.

- Response by lindasoft, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older