Back to Home

Active Questions

I have a friend who is a designer. She wants me to help her pick up and deliver things for her.
Career / 1:19 PM - Thursday March 07, 2013

I have a friend who is a designer. She wants me to help her pick up and deliver things for her.

What do you think I should charge her for mileage? I don't know what the Gollene rate is right now.

- Asked by imissit, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

Read more about the Rating System

Standard Mileage Rates for 2013
R-2012-95, Nov. 21, 2012
WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today issued the 2013 optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical or moving purposes.
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2013, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:
56.5 cents per mile for business miles driven.
24 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes.
14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations.
The rate for business miles driven during 2013 increases 1 cent from the 2012 rate. The medical and moving rate is also up 1 cent per mile from the 2012 rate.
The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile. The rate for medical and moving purposes is based on the variable costs.
Taxpayers always have the option of calculating the actual costs of using their vehicle rather than using the standard mileage rates.
A taxpayer may not use the business standard mileage rate for a vehicle after using any depreciation method under the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) or after claiming a Section 179 deduction for that vehicle. In addition, the business standard mileage rate cannot be used for more than four vehicles used simultaneously.
These and other requirements for a taxpayer to use a standard mileage rate to calculate the amount of a deductible business, moving, medical, or charitable expense are in Rev. Proc. 2010-51. Notice 2012-72 contains the standard mileage rates, the amount a taxpayer must use in calculating reductions to basis for depreciation taken under the business standard mileage rate, and the maximum standard automobile cost that a taxpayer may use in computing the allowance under a fixed and variable rate plan.

- Response by utahmom, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Managerial

Rating Received:

I never mix business with friendship.
I would insist on a written agreement. You should be paid.

- Response by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

Rating Received:

one dollar a mile

- Response by flwoodpecker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Rating Received:

Talk with your friend about this. In the business world, if you are using your own car, you are entitled to about $.50 per mile.

- Response by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

Rating Received: