Should I go to my husbands high school reunion?
Married Life / 12:06 PM - Thursday March 07, 2013

He said "you can go if you want to go."

The way he said it make me think he didn't want me to go, his last one it was "yay! My reunion is coming up, I can't wait for us to go!" He went to an all boys school. This time it's "it's up to you, if you go we'll probably be out more, if you don't go I'll probably spend more time with my mom."

Was this how he worded his invitation to you or did you have to ask him if he would bring you? If this was a poorly worded invitation, then accept and go with him. If not, you two need to work on your communication a bit so now is a good time to do that. People often feel awkward about attending their own reunion so feel ambivalent about bringing their spouse for that reason.

- Response by maryea, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, New York, Retired

Nothing says "broken marriage" like showing up to something like this without your spouse.

I don't think you should be concerned about your husband's high school reunion, you should be concerned about the slow death of your marriage.

- Response by greekattorney, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Political / Government

It sounds like the last one was a let down. And, he's barely interested. So, he don't want to keep you from attending, but he'd understand if you didn't want to go. He's letting you know what he'll be doing, if he goes. Has anything about your physical appearance changed?

Is there anything about his behavior in your relationship changed, that would make you believe he had an ulterior motive for discouraging you from desiring to go? That would make a difference in his change of heart, or whether he would be using the reunion or his mother as an excuse while he's out.

We really don't know. Only YOU KNOW YOUR MAN. Good luck.

why not go to the reunion why should he go out and have good time while you are home.

- Response by pawsbuddy04, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

Nope...

Allow him the pleasure of his world before you. You will simply feel like an outsider and every old friend of the female gender will make you uncomfortable. Not worth the drama.

- Response by siouxzen, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

He'll have more fun if you don't. Does he have a buddy from high school? They can go together and have a good time seeing old classmates.

There are going to be other spouses there. You could find some of them to chat with while your husband catches up with friends.
Just don't expect too much attention from him.
Yes, girls/women from the past will be there. I think it would be good for you to be there because of this. Then they will SEE his spouse.

- Response by pookiedoo, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I remember going to my dad's reunion with two or three of my brothers. Pretty sure he was just doing the parent thing and trying more or less show us off, but I do remember that my mom did NOT go. So I'm sure it doesn't "mean anything" if he is ambivalent about you going or not.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go hang out with a bunch of strangers who know each other. They'll be reminiscing and catching up, and I'd be bored. But if I was super social, then maybe I'd love it. Only you know you :)

- Response by anie01, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

why not?
what should keep you from going?

As long as you aren't looking for drama.

For me, I would go out of sheer curiosity and entertainment. I'd introduce myself to some other spouses and hang out with them unless my spouse came to me.

As a bonus you have a front seat to any inappropriate situations that could get others (that is, your spouse) in trouble.

- Response by norwegi, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Go if he wants you to go. He may want to go alone and pal-around with old buddies. He may want to hook-up with old girlfriends. But he probably wants to show-off his wife.

- Response by dendresdner, A Jock, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

i took my 16 year old daughter with me and we had a ball.
i got to show her off.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Well...my husband almost insisted that I go with him. We had a good time. I don't think he really wants you to go. My husband said---what are we wearing? LOL..He wanted me to 'match us up".... :)

- Response by bobbysg1rl, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Medical / Dental

Well, he could have worded it that way so you would not feel pressured to go if you do not really want to. What was his status in high school? Maybe he is afraid you will hear embarrassing stories about him or he may want to spend quality time with his friends without feeling like he is ignoring you.

- Response by anonymisslady, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

I went to my hubby's high school reunion - although everyone was friendly, I felt a little out of place, as I didn't attend his school and had no memories to share with those in attendace. He probably would have had a better time if he'd gone by himself rather than having to drag me along