Exploitation is exploitation
Family & Parenting / 10:39 AM - Thursday March 07, 2013

Exploitation is exploitation

whether it is a reality show, child talent show or something else....

In the days of "reality" TV, should there not be a cap on minor children being off limits? Does anyone else believe shows like Kate plus Eight and Honey Boo Boo is an exploitation of children? Are they living vicariously through their children? Child "actors" are playing a role, not being themselves and know the difference between acting and real life hopefully.

I am well aware that it is the parents that are going for the cash cow, but after the lights are out what kind of damage has it done to these minor children?

I do not watch these shows because it makes me sad to know that the children did not have a choice as to whether or not they wanted the world to have a lens into their lives. I am ashamed as a mother that another mother would use you child(ren) for profit and gain instead of putting the best interests of her children first.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your responses. Not enough stars for sure. I will not condone these shows and hope the long term effects do not have negative impact. Have a great evening. =0)

- Asked by uasked, A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Veterinary

I believe that these parents are going for something that they could not attain in their lives. So, they are living their live through their children and not letting these kids be kids.

Well I don't watch Honey Boo Boo, but from what I have heard, the mother is basically saving all the money she gets from the show into trusts for her children to go to college. Not so sure that's exploitation...

- Response by corsair77, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

Where do I start, Honey Boo Boo, no not that anything but that, this country sucks. When a show like that can even get a rating, we're f****d. I can't watch it because it is stupid as hell. I see all I want when I shop at Walmart. I don't need to see it on tv. Child actors have a pretty sad track record, Honey Boo Boo is not an actor, she simply shares the one gene that the family seems to pass around. Any volunteers to help shore up there gene pool? docj

- Response by 01docj10, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, St.Louis, Retired

The show Dance Moms is the worst. I don't watch it but the commercials are bad enough. Our only voice is not to watch. I think CPS should get involved with a show like that. The parents are turning their children into "working girls" by exposing them to the public without the child's input or understanding of what is happening.

It used to be bad the way parents of child stars treated kids, it was rather hit or miss. But there are laws the protect the kid and his/her interests from the parent. As to the general lifesyle, it is unreal at best.

I am absolutely with you on this. I'm not a parent myself, but it boggles my mind how a parent cannot realise such public exposure at a young age may be damaging.

At its simplest, lack of privacy and the freedom to make your own mistakes away from the public glare will cause unnecessary stress and upset.

The average child star struggles when their star wanes: imagine being told for years how amazing/ beautiful/ talented you are, by MILLIONS of people, the press, public. You'd believe your own hype. And then suddenly nobody is interested anymore, nobody thinks your great, in fact, you're mocked in the press. How do you feel? And all at a formative age! Its no wonder Macauley Culkin, Lindsey Lohan etc etc go off the rails.

Then you take the likes of Honey Boo Boo, who ISN'T courted as being amazing/ beautiful/ talented. Who is, effectively, a figure of public fun, and she's a CHILD. That poor child is being raised in the public eye for that public to laugh at her and her family. My heart breaks for her.

- Response by loulou444, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking