Baby came to daycare with a sippy cup full of juice, and his 4yo brother, a mouthful of fillings :(
Family & Parenting / 11:31 PM - Wednesday March 06, 2013

Ugh, I know, it's none of my business, but seriously. Kids absolutely don't need anything stronger than water in their sippy cups, especially if you're not going to be diligent about brushing their teeth. Not to mention, both kids REFUSED to drink water at snack with us. Set the precedent early and stick with it, parents! It can be tough but it's important.

- Asked by anie01, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Teaching

this may sound jaded and cynical- but make a donation to planned parenthood or some other organization that supports people not getting knocked up or an organization that supports educating parents. Or start a newsletter at your daycare that contains nutrition tips.

It indirectly may help you feel better about all the shitty parents out there. I did not get a cavity until my 20's. I don't understand how a 4yo could have a mouth full of fillings unless they have some unknown condition. That sounds really neglectful.

Dentists love the shit some parents give their kids to drink .

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I agree, for the most part. I think juice is okay on occasion, but it needs to be watered down and really shouldn't be sipped all day.

- Response by sweetnsilly84, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

It seems some kids are born with good teeth and others not so much. But people have to get off the crap. Just drink water! Not diet, not caffeine free, not yadda yadda. Water.

- Response by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Farming

Actually, you are NOT suppose to give the baby/child any juice right before they take a nap or go nighty night.
Also, do remember, the baby will shed those teefys!

My friend's 3 year old's teeth are like that. Sad

I totally get your point, but even worse, a 4 year old is old enough to hold a cup by himself and drink. That's ridiculous a 4 year old is using the equivalent of a bottle with a handle on it. I was never put to bed with anything in my bottle but water, was not allowed to drink soda, except during the holidays, only chew sugarless gum, and candy was few and far between. Saw the dentist every 6 months without fail and had flouride treatments. That's why I don't have one cavity or one filling in my mouth and I'm 51

- Response by diznykd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommend when you give your child juice, it should be 100% pasteurized fruit juice and not fruit drinks.
.infants under 6 months of age should not be given juice, although many Pediatricians do recommend small amounts of juice for children that are constipated
.infants between 6 and 12 months can drink up to 4 to 6 ounces of juice a day, but should do it only in a cup, not a bottle
.younger children aged 1 to 6 years should have only 4 to 6 ounces of juice a day
.older children should be limited to 8 to 12 ounces of juice a day
.instead of juice, children should be encouraged to eat whole fruits

Here's the deal there is nothing wrong with allowing children to drink juice. Sure it may not be the best choice but I can think of a dozen things that are more harmful than drinking juice.

As far as the older child having a mouth full of filings...well this could be due to lack of proper brushing, he could be on meds, he could just have bad teeth, etc.

I would continue to encorage these children to drink water at snack time or better yet if they won't water down their juice. Less is better than nothing! As a parent it really rubs me the wrong way when caregivers feel they can better raise my child. So I would definately walk a fine line here.