What should I charge for updating this website?
Career / 6:31 PM - Wednesday March 06, 2013

what should I charge for updating this website?

hi

I have an acquaintance that I met through an ex boyfriend. he owns a motorcycle store and he has a very basic website that he had someone create and update.

this person that maintained his website just went MIA and the store owner heard through my then b/f that I have made some basic websites etc.

I took over the website for him and I update it regularly. it does not take a lot of my time, but it does take some time. and more so in the summer when he is selling a lot of used bikes and there are updates at least 2-3 times a week.

I never charged him for my time as I was doing my boyfriend's friend a favour. and this man has never even offered me a token of appreciation for my time, not even a $25 gift card or anything.

I haven't been with that b/f for more than 4 years. and I still do this website.

what do you think my time is worth here? what do people normally charge for doing this sort of thing.

mostly, I get new pics from him, crop them and update the site with the new bikes and I take down the old ones he has sold. I also update other pages here and there and about once a year, I do a site overhaul and do more work.
I would say I devote about 3 hours per week on average in the motorbiking months and when I do the site overhaul, I spend another few hours on it.

anyone have any suggestions for what I should ask him for?
I am just doing this on my own, I do not have a webpage business or anything.

if he was an actual friend, I would likely do it for free but I feel he is just taking advantage of my good nature.

- Asked by fondacox, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45

most freelancers charge about 25-30 per hour

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

You are WAY too generous unless the person were your current BF or a BFF & even then they should offer to compensate you for your time [Nobody works for FREE].

I'd hired a couple young people to do web site work for me and all overstated their qualifications [so a waste of $$$ on my part]. I now have a friend I met a few years ago do it for me. I saw her basic web site & thought the same type would work for me. Initially she charged me $25 hour cash [which I thought was a deal] and now 2 years later she charges me $18 to do whenever in her spare time. I give her a few hundred $$ at a time and tell her to use it up as we go.

Professional web site persons are expensive and if you can do the basic maintenance or changes for them they are very lucky to have found you. I can't believe this shmuck has not offered to pay you anything - what a cheapskate!

- Response by hsfbfan, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Other Profession

you need $25/ hour

- Response by A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

How well is his business doing?
Do you have any plans that you would aspire to use your work on his website as part of your portfolio to gain other jobs?

Did he pay the woman who went MIA?

How long have you been doing this?

Are you or anyone you know in the market for a motorcycle where he sould cut you a sweetheart deal in exchange for the work?

My gut reaction is $25 per hour but I have no idea why I thought that amount. If his shop is thriving and he is rich maybe more. Do a search and see what other people charge for that type of work.

Don't base your fees on his successes. Research other web designers and see what the going rate is. Charge a fair and equitable price for everyone depending on what their needs are. I agree that an hourly rate would be best so that if you are doing small or large jobs you are being paid for your time and talent. Good luck.

- Response by uasked, A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Veterinary

Figure out how much more money has been made by your involvement then ask the friend if he wants you to stop helping out .

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering