Has anybody had a puppy?
Pets / 3:33 PM - Wednesday March 06, 2013

Has anybody had a puppy?

What did you do with your puppy at night while every one was asleep?

So, we have a 8 1/2 week old puppy, a little yorkie. He is very small- only 1 lb (he will only ever get to 4-5 lbs as an adult). So, I was reading up on these types of puppies. I read a play pen (like what you would use for a baby) is a great way during the transition stages to keep him safe at night. So, I put his cage in the play pen w/ the door open, and then a puppy pad outside of the cage for him to use the restroom (in the play pen). The problem before was that in the cage w/ his bedding, he would relieve himself AND THEN cry. So, I was trying to think of a way to give him the opportunity to relieve himself since he was not warning me in time. So far he is doing great- he knows to go outside his cage to go to the bathroom, but he still cries a bit. I calm him down w/ petting and curling him up in his blanket and let him know he is okay. He calms down within 10 minutes and goes to sleep on the bedding in his little cage. So, my SIL adopted his sister. They let their dog sleep w/ them curled at the neck. I would be terrifed to do this, I wouldn't even let my own newborn children sleep w/ me because of the terrible tragedies that can occur (I would never trust myself during sleep), why would I put a 8 week old ONE POUND puppy at risk. Is it wrong that I don't let the puppy sleep with me? I just don't feel like it's safe for 1, and for 2 I feel like I would be creating a monster and confuse the puppy to think it's his bed even into adulthood. Don't get me wrong, I snuggle the puppy all the day long... but at night, my children have their own bed, and I would treat the puppy as one of my children w/ his own bed too- and my children were transitioned into their own bed/bedrooms at 8 weeks old (just like you would put your baby in a crib for safety, you would put a puppy in a secluded area for safety- and the cage stays open, he is free to walk in/out in the play pen). I just almost got a vibe like it was cruel I would not let our puppy sleep w/ me- please keep in mind his entire body is literally the size of an average sized adult hand...

- Asked by nonnahsvd, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

Puppies differ. Some of them will whine if you're not near them at night, they're used to being with mom all the time. Depending where you keep her/him, we'd keep newspaper around a designated area with water and a comfortable little bed. Some people recommend a clock to imitate the mother's heartbeat, and keep it under the bedding where it sleeps. Good luck.

- Response by sirpsychosexy13, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Atlanta, Who Cares?

Kennel it.

They went into their crates during the night but thankfully that was only until they learned their days and nights. Just a few days, maybe a week.
Once they were house trained they were given free reign of the house.

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

To properly crate train your little guy, buy an appropriately sized crate, make it comfortable and use positive reinforcement. Place a blanket inside a small crate, just big enough for your Yorkie to stand up and turn around in. Add a shirt or other item that smells like you to make the crate comfortable. If you allow any more room than this he will go potty in the crate. DO NOT let your Yorkie out of the crate when he is barking or whining. Just ignore that behavior. Let him out as soon as he calms down so his quiet behavior predicts his release.

I think the whole play pen idea would work if you didn't want to leave him unattended during the day but I have always found crate training to work best. Plus dogs are den animals and most will go to their crate just to relax if you leave the door open.

Do you have a cage for it? if not you leave it where you want it to sleep, and ignore its wimpers, it will get used to it eventually.

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

As far as kennel training, it does do a good job with training. I think we were a soft touch the first few days and went to the kennel, eventually.

we had a cage for our lab and we kept it in our garage, which was heated. We kept a radio on low, the sound seemed to comfort her and after a week or so she didn't wimper or bark at night.....

- Response by mamu, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

gave her plenty of exercise before bed then kept her in a cage covered with blankets all around the cage and blankets inside her cage. never a problem.

- Response by jackstraw, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

Small kennel at night. Make sure it's covered so it's cave like.
You can put a bed inside it.

- Response by joybird, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Please take the dog outside not let the dog use indoors there restroom because has the dog get older she/him is going to always do there business in the home the cage should be put on the same floor you sleep on this way the dog well sleep good at nite. How I know this I took my dog for training at petco they teach you how to do these things to. plus did u ever here of cesar Millan I watch show O n Tuedsay nite plus he has books out that can help you to his very good when it comes to training dogs

- Response by pawsbuddy04, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

You are doing the right thing. Based on every study I have read and common sense.
Don't allow other people too make you doubt what you know is logically correct.
Parents have harmed infants and children by letting them sleep in their beds. This puppy is not safe in your bed.

- Response by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

i had a couple of kittens last year!