Did they do something to my cat?
Pets / 11:42 AM - Wednesday March 06, 2013

Did they do something to my cat?

The last two times my cat (Tommy, age 16) went to the vet, he has come home looking 5 years older and much slower. Tommy is long haired so his fur gets matted easily.

The vet tech dematted Tom this time, as well as two years ago. I left Tommy for a few hours, then brought him home. That was Last Thursday. He's been real pissy and has been hissing at us for no reason.

Why would this happen to an animal that is usually very loving and cuddly, then suddenly isnt? The last time he went, it took him almost 7 months to come out of that "funk."

Any thoughts? Any ideas? I would really appreciate it! :)

- Asked by suzyscorp, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

In the Vet Clinics I worked at the groomer would mildly anesthetize cats that were knotted to the skin. If, because of his age they are de-matting without anesthesia it is probably his stress levels with the razor noise, body manipulation to get everywhere, and strangers and environment. Cats are fussy and hold grudges longer than dogs lol. You might want to ask them what their procedure is. I suppose different groomers do it in different ways. You are indeed blessed to have Tommy for 16 years!

Reward him with something he loves. Love and snuggle him even if he resists and make him as comfortable after these visits as possible. When I had a long-haired cat I would comb him to keep the knotting down, or cut them out as they showed up. He is a cat. He is old and cantankerous cut him some slack! hahahaha

- Response by uasked, A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Veterinary

I have reservations about leaving my pet with strangers for any reason. Part of it is the feelings of abandonment he obviously feels and a part of it is what a stranger must do to restrain him for whatever procedure is done. A funeral caused us to travel some distance and we could not take our pet. We boarded him out at a professional institute as a result. When we returned and picked him up, he was listless and disoriented. Again, we had to travel for several days and we boarded him out again. This time when we picked him up, we had to wait over twenty minutes before he was brought out to us. And again, he was listless and seemed dazed. We had never otherwise seen him in such a condition and we were concerned. So, we took him to his Vet. We were informed the boarding house often used drugs to sedate pets who would not settle down. WTF?? Unacceptable was the only word I could dredge up to describe our thoughts. We never left him alone after that.

I would think getting dematted hurts like hell. Or do they put your cat under anesthesia for the procedure?

Either way -- Tommy hates the vet and is making sure you know it.

Being in a strange place being handled by strange people is very stressful to any animal. Even us. When you're older, you ability to handle stress gets harder. You become more grumpier.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

...probably has something to do with the drugs that they gave him.

I've consulted Buffer who is the ultimate Cat whisperer.. It seems that dear Tommy is advanced in age ..even for a cat and he may not be grooming himself with any regularity due to health issues and age. It seems as tho long haired cats have a tendency to mat so you may need to give him daily special attention to reduce the trauma in the dematting process. Think of him like a cat senior citizen who doesn't like their routine changed and may be grumpy after being wooled around... I know I don't care for a lengthy mauling myself. :)

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

Do not go back to that vet if you are dissatisified

- Response by A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

He's devastated, traumatized. Given into someone's care and then fondled.

- Response by drunkmonk, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

he is like some men and women who get up in age.. they get grouchy and pissy.

He's just pissed off at you.

- Response by ethelb50, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

Whatever the vet did, it seems to have traumatized your cat. I know that cats are sensitive to having their body scent changed, which is one reason they dislike the Advantage flea product so much. They seem to go into a depression. Fortunately, it only lasts a day or two. If you have questions about your cat's treatment, best to ask your vet about them.

Did you talk to the vet? I hope no one that works there was hitting the animals....This happens. I hate to say this, but at 16 he is getting old and he might be nearing the end of his life. My friend's cat acted bizarre in the end. Sorry if that is the case. I would talk with the vet. I am sure they have cameras there.

The vet could have done something to him but 7 monthes he was pissed at you that's I never heard of my friend who lives around the corner from me his cat is almost the same age has your and she hates when she touched when he trys to help her with the matting issues last time I noticed last year the matting undone it self I would go over there and there was her hair like a trail of it they sell this pad that they cat can lay on it helps the matting issue I found it at wal mart plus petco has it to I gave one to my guy friend and she took over it the other cats sont have a chance to use it lol

- Response by pawsbuddy04, A Thinker, Female, 46-55