Do you enjoy watching foreign-made films?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 4:08 PM - Monday February 11, 2013

What country's films do you especially enjoy? (Note: British, Canadian and Australian films don't really count as being foreign.)

- Asked by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

More than American films for the most part. My favorite is French. They're so intricate, usually have about 5 story lines going on at once and they're very human. It also keeps my fluent. I've seen some interesting films from Korea as well, one in particular called "The Housemaid" which was excellent. The best part about it was you didn't need to read one subtitle to keep up with the story or what was going on. It took me watching it two times to figure out what was going on with the older housekeeper, but if you do read the subtitles, you can figure out what her deal is. Another great foreign film from Hungary "Kontroll" by Nimród Antal, is phenomenal. It's listed as a comedy, and while some parts are bend over funny, it's a very dark movie that's extremely metaphoric, creepy, but worth watching. I wore out the DVD I loved watching it so much.

- Response by diznykd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

I still consider Brit films mainstream (at least, in Canada they are). Too many movies to list but Hott Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel are gold.

- Response by ilom, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

Just about every film that's not in German is a foreign film to me. I've watched movies in German, really enjoyed them, then seen them in the original language and they kinda fell flat.

I usually watch American DVDs with the subtitles on 'cause I just can't really understand what the hell most actors are saying. They just pose, they don't enunciate or project. Yes; I am an English native speaker and consider English my first language. It's just that most U.S. films are 100 minutes of special effects and ten minutes of conversation.

Dutch films are kinda gritty. Danish films are deep. Swedish films are slow. Norwegian films aren't bad. British films are good. Czech films are hilarious. Italian films are good, but seem very long; the same with Greek films. Films from the former Jugoslavia are all over the place. Most Australian films are pretty good. Central Asian films are kinda odd; I always think they must have cut something out, 'cause I just don't understand what happened lots of the time.

One of the most bizarrely funny things I ever saw was watching an Austrian movie on German television, and the film was subtitled! This would be like watching a U.S.-made film on Canadian television and they subtitle it into ~Queen's English or something.

- Response by dendresdner, A Jock, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

yes, I really like foreign films. I have seen several, mostly Spanish and Mexican ones. I like the ones with Javier Bardem like Biutiful, Mondays in the Sun, and The Sea Inside. I liked House of the Spirits, from the book by Isabel Allende. Like water For Chocolate from Mexico was very good, and Like water For Chocolate. I also liked some Italian ones like Seven Beauties, and from China Raise the Red Lantern. I don't mind the subtitles and I can understand the Spanish ones.

- Response by amy1022, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Teaching

No particular country, I like foreign movies in general. My two faves are A Separation (Iranian) and The Lives of Others (German). Another fave is Offside (another Iranian film) but I also loved the movies of Chinese directors Yang Fengliang and Zhang Yimou as well as movies from Japan, S Korea, and Colombia to name a few countries.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

I do not like foreign made films that have subtitles. I cannot follow the talk very well, unless I tape the program and stop the replay to see what is being said.
there are lots of foregn films on SUNDANCE CHANNEL, but so hard to read the subtitles very fast.

Oh yes! I don't watch a lot of foreign films because it requires sitting down and paying attention for at least an hour and a half, which I am not good at (usually I put movies on while I am doing something else, like sewing or cleaning or other woman things). But I would say that when I do watch them, I generally enjoy Spanish films the best. Japanese films can be very well done but sometimes I find they are a little too creative for me :)

- Response by cons22, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Seattle

Yes I do, and truly enjoy reading sub-titles the words in English.
I love movies made in Italy, Japan, along with many more.

I enjoyed watching Ecstacy starring Hedy Lamarr. In it's day, it was regarded as highly risque and was censored for years.

Today I would give it a PG-13 rating. Best parts were simply ogling Hedy Lamarr.

It is a Czech film.

- Response by size008, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, New York, Retired

I don't. I find myself focusing only on reading the sub-titles. Therefore I miss most of the actual movie. It never seems pleasurable to me, to have to try so hard, to take it all in.

Oh, another excellent foreign movie was Israeli, Walz With Bashir - it was also a stop-motion animated movie, about war and PTSD! And another foreign stop-motion animated movie was Persepolis, a French movie about a little girl's experiences growing up in Iran during the Islamic revolution (its a French movie because the girl in the movie moved to France with her family as a kid and grew up there and wrote a book, and then made a movie, about her experiences).

Yeah but as I'm British, American films count surely? lol

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

NO. I do'nt like subtitles.