So my doctor told me to take more Vitamin D, as my level was low. All I found at the drugstore
Diet & Health / 3:09 AM - Sunday December 09, 2012

was Vitamin D-3. Is this the same thing? Supposed to be good for bone health.

- Asked by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

Vitamin D-3 is the best choice of the vitamin D's
It is the same vit d that is synthisized by the sun.
And 10- 25 min in the sun is all that you need daily.
Is there something that prevents your body from synthising the
vit d?

The best source of Vitamin D is the sun. We live in California. Just take your shirt off and get some rays.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Yes, Vitamin D3 is what you should be taking. There are MANY people in this country who are low on Vitamin D and it plays an important part in our health.

Doctors seem to be becoming more aware of the consequences of people having low Vit D levels and I'm hearing more & more from people I know about having to take Vit D supplements. I take a daily combination Vit D, calcium, magnesium & zinc pill (Nature Made brand, usually two bottles for the price of one). Splashed right across the label is the proud proclamation that it's made with Vit D3, so I guess you're on the right track. Until you asked the question, I didn't know that there was more than one type of Vit D!

- Response by homeworker, A Creative, Female, 66 or older, Denver, Self-Employed

Answer continued . . .
I'm a high-risk skin cancer person due to my misspent youth lying out on the beach getting too many blistering sunburns, so I'm pretty well covered when I'm out in the sun now. Can't get my Vitamin D that way, sigh.

Yes, it's the same thing. I was told to take the same for my bones. For some reason when I take these pills, my memory gets better too, which is odd.

- Response by amy1022, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Teaching

there is good ole cow milk and some sunlight take a drink and a walk outside more....every day...

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

SIt in the sun a while. That is how most of us get our vitamin D. Ask the pharmasist.

The real problem is bone health. Vit D isn't the only thing you need to think about. Vit D acts synergistically with calcium to promote bone health.
Look for a calcium with vit D so the bones actually benefit. You doctor probably saw normal calcium levels so only mentioned one so continue that lifestyle.
Also Vit D is absorbed through the retina and taking your shirt off has nothing to do with it. You can also get a special light that is similar to the sun at 10,000 lux to promote Vit D. People with SAD syndrome do this for the Vit D they need to limit their sadness.