If a hotel clerk made a big mistake, by giving your room key to another guest, and that guest walks
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:32 AM - Tuesday November 27, 2012

straight into your room, as you are lying on the bed, at that point "Screaming ," would you expect some kind of compensation for such a reckless security breach ? Imagine if I was not there, but my laptop was in view, and personal papers. I had to have my door keys changed. I live in the next city, and was there mainly for relaxation, and also to do some paperwork. This has never happened to me, in my many years of traveling.
Is that something you could just overlook, as I was there for three nights, or would you ask them to comp you a night or two?

- Asked by travelchic, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

Definatly demand a comp.There is no excuse for that breach of security.

This has never happened to me and I've traveled for years and years too.

Mistakes happen in every line of work but this was a serious breach of security and a mistake that could have resulted in much worse than a laptop being stolen.

I'm sure it was very frightening for you and it could have been a much worse situation and you were right to scream.
I HOPE someone responded.

I imagine the other guest didn't appreciate it either and hopefully complained.

I think they should have OFFERED to comp you a day or two or the entire visit but if they didn't, you would be within your rights to ask and, hopefully, it would prevent the same thing from happening to someone else.

I'd be pissed if it happened to me but if that happened to my mom or daughter, I'd be VERY pissed and I wouldn't just ask for their stay to be comped, so, I think you should ask them to comp the entire visit and maybe consider another hotel/hotel chain next time and write a review(s) on some of the travel sites.

Even if it's a chain, we never stay anywhere without checking the reviews for the specific place first online and it would certainly help others and would probably call attention to the fact that their personnel screwed-up huge and need more training and it's costing them business.

If you don't complain TO THE MANAGER the employees may just sweep it under the rug and if I were the Manager...I'd want to know.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Absolutely you should be compensated. I can think of a lot worse things that could have happened besides your labtop and personal papers being taken. I would ask for all 3 nights and settle for 1.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Of course it would completely depend on the guest-If the mood was right you might be the most luckest girl in the world...

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

This is a very litigeous question.

Who the heck go to a hotel to "scream"?

Anyway, my personal take on this or any other situation in which a minimal human error occurs is to simply overlook it, laugh about it, and file a complaint perhaps to help the staff wake up, but that's about as far as it would go.

But yes, I DO see your point about the security aspect. That could cause a huge problem for someone, having their personal effects stolen.

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

There's nothing wrong with asking for a little comp to make you come back. You'd be surprised what you'd get if you asked. I'm sure it was a mistake and they will be happy to pay for it. Yes, mention it. Nothing wrong with it at all.

- Response by candiedcherry01, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55

This did happen to me.The man who open the door was very sorry you could tell in his voice and face.I let it go because it was a error.

- Response by bobboy, A Jock, Male, 66 or older, Retired

The reverse happened to me back when my son and I were driving a truck to Florida. Stopped somewhere in NC and when we opened the door we heard the shower running...yikes. We backed out in a hurry but if it had been someone else they could have robbed the people...fortunately they never knew we were there. Yes, you should be compensated.

Things could have taken a turn for the worse.

Thankfully nothing happened.

They would have been liable is anything happened to you or your belongings. Just compensation is absolutely in order.

- Response by king313, An Engaged Guy, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Who Cares?

I think some compensation is completely rational here. I'm glad nothing worse happened, but that is a really big violation of the operation that they are supposed to be running. I would ask for at least one night comped.

- Response by jophus, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

Did they not say "SORRY" oh well i guess it wasnt mallicious-I found a piece of a kitchen machine in my soup and they didnt seem to worry too much.....