Mormon question: If a Mormon couple got divorced, would both parties be ex-communicated
Race, Religion & Politics / 1:08 AM - Wednesday October 10, 2012

from the Church? Serious question.

Update: October 11, 2012.
Thank you all. I knew there would be some Mormon experts out there. Mormon families seem to have so many forces bearing on them in modern times - large families, subservient women, male the sole provider, etc.

- Asked by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that Mormons can only be married in an LDS Church. And, both parties must be Mormon.

The, for LDS couples who have been previously sealed in the Mormon temple, getting a civil divorce does not automatically dissolve the temple sealing. They must request a cancellation of their temple sealing from the first presidency of the LDS church.

If the manage to get this CANCELLATION from the CHURCH, which I understand can take years if ever, THEN they could both walk in the faith without excommunication.

If either of them refused to get this cancellation from the church and relied solely on a civil divorce, THEN they would be excommunicated, and that would apply to BOTH parties.

and can the other wives divorce each other ?

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I can answer this question. I got one staff member and one colleague going through this right now.

First a member of my staff is Mormon. She just started her divorce process because her husband had been excommunicated from the church for being a bad Mormon. She was not a Mormon to begin with and was brought into the church. Because she is showing good character, they have allowed her to stay in the church.

Now as for my colleague. She has a real estate firm that she owns as I do. She went into the Mormon church from her first husband. He was tragically killed in a car crash so she was allowed to stay. She after some time met a new man who had been in the church a long time. They have separated because he had committed infidelity. He is now facing excommunication she is being allowed to stay in.

- Response by mynekogirl, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Executive

From what I know of a few Mormon families, divorce is not even an option in their church.

I could be wrong, it may just be in the eyes of these families......

This article might be of interest to you. I just searched for "divorce +mormon."
http://lds.about.com/od /temples/a/mormon_divor ce.htm

- Response by mikehug, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland

Since I'm not Morman, I can't tell you. I doubt that your question is all that serious, but if it is, I would suggest contacting your local Morman church.