Do women in the U.S. military have to shave their heads?
Sex & Intimacy / 9:07 AM - Sunday August 26, 2012

- Asked by pinkskittles722, A Sportif, Female, 18-21, Fitness

Women in the US military are not allowed to shave their heads and what damon stated.

Also, when Demi Moore shaved her head in that MOVIE, it was totally wrong.
First of all, women are not now and have never been allowed to be a member of the Navy SEALs. Again, it was a movie.
Women are also not allowed to be Search & Rescue personnel in the USAF.
Search & Recovery is different and is an additional duty.

Air Force Instruction 36-2903 --DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL (formerly known as AFR 35-10)

"Hair will be clean, well-groomed, and neat. If dyed will look natural. Hair will not contain excessive amount of grooming aids, touch eyebrows when groomed or protrude below the front band of properly worn headgear. EXCEPTION: Hair may be visible in front of women's flight caps."

"Hair will be styled to present a professional appearance. Plain and conservative pins, combs, headbands, elastic bands, and barrettes similar to the individual's hair color permitted to keep hair in place.

Hair will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or violate safety requirements. (Shaved is considered, "extreme", even for African-American women.)

Will not extend in length on all sides below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar at the back of the neck. Will not exceed 3 inches in bulk or prevent proper wear of headgear. Will not include hair ornaments such as ribbons or jeweled pins."

This revised regulation has changed some since 35-10 which was ages old and required a, "feminine appearance".

The answer to your question is, "NO."

I used to know women who I saw in uniform that had the most gorgeous waterfall of thick hair down to their butts when they were in civilian clothing and I always asked, "HOW DO YOU DO THAT?? How do you get that much hair up that high and tight??"
I'm still not sure but I'm still completely jealous.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I'm in the military, and no they do not. I could go into detail with you over regulations on how females wear their hair in uniform, but I won't. Some highlights though:

-It has to be symmetrical.
-It can be colored but it has to be a hair color that occurs in nature, so no green hair
-It can be as short or as long as you like, but when you tie it up while in uniform, it cannot extend below the bottom of the collar of the uniform. So that disqualifies pigtails, dreadlocks, and ponytails. Cornrows are fine as long as they are parallel and are each the same size.
-Must present a neat and clean appearance.

Off duty and out of uniform you can wear your hair however you like as long as you can conform to regulations when you put a uniform back on.

- Response by damonater351, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Norfolk

No. I know plenty of women in the US military who wear their hair in buns.

- Response by ddegon, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Washington, DC

I dont suppose they do, I know the British Army demand the hair is above the collar, so it its long it has to be up in a bun and if short it has to be shaved in at the back...

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

serious ? no they do not.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Managerial