Why do I have to beg my wife for sex?
Sex & Intimacy / 10:26 PM - Tuesday August 07, 2012

Why do I have to beg my wife for sex?

I've been married 17yrs and over the past 10yrs sex/intimacy with wife has gone from bad to worse. Everytime I ask its always no. Then if i get mad she ask me whats my problem. Ive disconnected to the point that i dont even care anymore. Even when she finally gives in at that point i just want to get off and go to sleep.

- Asked by tisdale, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Financial / Banking

The first question I ever posted here, ages ago, was for the ladies: "What is a Nice Guy, and why do women hate him so much?"
The women wouldn't come clean, so I had to search elsewhere for answers, and I found them in the Nice Guy Syndrome-- google for it. IMO, the NGS is THE leading cause for sexless marriage and divorce today in this country.
Being a Nice Guy isn't about being "nice" or being a doormat, it's a whole lifestyle issue that encompasses every part of a man's life. Robert Glover had to write a book about it, "No More Mr Nice Guy!", and he says his notes kept growing until he realized it would never get published unless he stopped where he was. His new site is Drglover-dot-com, check it out. He's phasing out Nomoremrniceguy.com. One of those has an online support forum that you need to join, asap.
The main issue with Nice Guys is being able to project VALUE. Glover defines Nice Guys as fundamentally dishonest, hiding their true selves in order to avoid conflict, and to gain acceptance. Nice Guys also lack strong personal boundaries, which are the basis for RESPECT. We can beat the topic to death about doing this or that sort of thing, because it's too "nice" but the bottom line is that when we do those things, we lose VALUE, in a woman's subconscious mind. Most of what we do to show our value works against us-- it's totally counterintuitive until we understand the background, which is usually basic evolution. One example is begging for sex-- it immediately puts a man in a low value position= LOSER. Begging, bullying, and BUYING sex are all low-value acts for typical Nice Guys.
Niceguysite mentioned how women can be seduced just as well by FALSE value, as by the real thing-- lookit all the sociopaths in prison who women are lusting after. Even Joran van der Sloot has someone begging to marry him.
We had a member here "Revbikerman", long gone, but he was having the same issue as you-- married 23 years to a lovely talented woman whom he adored and treated like a queen. Their intimacy was nowhere. He was online practically 24/7 trying to figure out how to save his marriage, and when he began to understand the Nice Guy Syndrome, he needed to make only a few adjustments to see results. Partly, his devotion to her made him spoil her, which worked totally against him. The more he tried to spoil her, hoping to get sex in return, the worse she got. When he stopped doing that, she began to respect him more. In the end, his marriage died anyway. Maybe she did him a favor, who's to say?
There can be plenty of other psycho-sexual issues that have turned your missus into a washout. Too many women have absolutely nothing else going on in their lives outside being a domestic partner. It can tear anyone down to feel worthless that way, and that can show up when the lights go out.
Anyone trying to help you get to the root of what's going on for you needs more info, and Glover will offer his help. Read his book first, though. He has a number of Breaking Free exercises for you to work on, but he advises us that doing the exercises can achieve either of these things: you'll strengthen your relationship, or else speed it to an overdue end.
Another advice site that I recommend is Shrink4men-dot-com, which is mainly for men with abusive partners, but you'll discover a lot of overlap-- psychotic women have a natural attraction to Nice Guys, who they devour. One recent article there is about having the Brass Balls to make a slacker wife grow up and be a productive member of the household. It's a good example of Tough Love. She may hate you for it, but you'll certainly gain respect, which you are not getting now.

I will repeat my previous answer from the other gender...

Either "she can't" --- too tired, too dry etc.

Or she is really angry with you for an unspoken reason and is withholding to punish you.

That is the most frequent cause of sexual withholding.

Start talking...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

Been there done this but probably takes a woman why a wife will make her husband feel like he has to beg for sex.

All I can tell you is sex, or the lack of, led to my divorce after 20yrs. In the end my wife had "sex" so it actually pissed me off. Only problem was deciding why. Not sure if it was because the wait had been so long or that sex just ment that wait was starting over. Anyway it made our disconnect so complete she finaly walked away and left me with the kids.

Today I've remained single 20 more, raised my kids, and keep my home for me alone. Promised myself a woman to "love" me as much, and often, as I would her to ever tye that knot again. Never found one. Were those who would "love" a guy to death to catch him just none who would to keep him. Seems like they've all got a 2yr sexual shelf-life for making love, refer to it as having sex by then, and put you on a ration. Drove me nuts married and expected to be "loving" 24/7 while rationed when allowed to.

Today I've been with my s/o over 10yrs, not married, wont even live together. It's the one way I've found I can ration time more according to her ration for sex. Keeps me free to just be me 6-8days a week and really ups the odds I'll get to love her when we get together as she rations out some sex.

- Response by fluff47, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

it's difficult to say since you're the only one that knows your situation. Do you think she is still physically attracted to you? Is this sudden or gradual? Could she no longer be in love with you? Have you changed? I just ask these questions because it could be any of them or something else. I would try counseling if you feel your marriage is worth saving and it's not something the two of you can work out alone.

- Response by baybreeze69, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Perhaps you can skip asking and go with a more spontaneous approach. If you put effort into your attempts it will be harder for her to reject them. It is more difficult to maintain a relationship than it is to establish a new one. People develop patterns/routines that become more monotonous than pleasurable. After 17yrs you must know a few things that she truly enjoys, (foods, wines, restaurants, entertainment). Planning a romantic get-away or even something as simple as a nostalgic soundtrack and some of her fav take-out food, may remind her why she fell in love with you in the first place.

- Response by Belle_Lafleur, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Ottawa, Self-Employed