My friend is friends with a sex offender.
Friendship / 12:37 AM - Friday July 20, 2012

I found out today that a female friend of mines friend is a registered sex offender for lewd acts with a child under 14, another conviction for lewd act with child 14 or 15 and one more for sex with a minor under 17. When I confronted her with this news she got angry with me and told me to go to hell. That noone tells her who she can or can't be friends with. I was shocked to know she already was aware of what he was but doesn't care and said she'd rather be friends with him then someone who, as she called it, snoops on her. What would you do if someone told you that a friend of yours was a sex offender? What if he told you himself?? Would you care?

- Asked by rayraynoc, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

This exact thing happened to my friend. She was dating a sex offender and I tried to tell her that nothing good can come from this. All we can do is help them and try to lead them down the right path. Your being a great friend. If she rather choose him over your friendship she is very confused and I'm sure there is a lot goin on in her life just like my friend. We can not control what they do all we can do is help them and make sure their safe, I'm sure she is an adult and if you continue being a good friend and spend time with her and dont nagg her about this creep he may leave and she may realize how dumb she was, be a great friend, as you are, and spend as much time with her as possible. This could just be a terrible phase and maybe go out to lunch with her and tell her you really care about her as a friend and you just wanna talk and see where that goes. Good luck.

- Response by caravello, A Cool Mom, Female, 22-25, Chicago, Student

I would say "oh" and look it up online to make sure it was true.

Actually, I do know a sex offender who had sex with a 15 year old. Not really a friend but Ive briefly hung out with him with other friends.

I would NEVER allow a sex offender near my children, hope she doesnt have kids.

You were being nice, she thought it was none of your business, her loss.

- Response by A Player, Female, Who Cares?

Sure, I would care, especially if the crimes he committed were of such a horrible nature. If he was, say, a 21 year old who had a 16 year old girlfriend and got caught, that would be one thing, and, in my opinion, would not make him deserving of a "sex offender" label. But an adult who preys upon children is disgusting, and I believe, not fit to be out in society. But as long as he is, he's got to find a way to adjust. If he's remoreseful and not likely to re-offend, he needs and deserves friends just like anybody else. If your friend has minor children, she should absoltely stay far away from this guy. Any parent who would put their child/ren at risk by hanging out with a chld molester is not a fit parent, and if this is the case with her, you should see that her children get away from her and get protected. But if it's just herself, and she's not enabling any further criminal action on his part, I think you should stay out of it.

in a lot of cases they killed the meaning of that law here they branded a 18 your old one for life for haveing sex with his 17 year old gf

I would care if it was a dear friend, but there's nothing you can do if she won't listen. What I would do is just butt out and leave it alone. If she gets burned in the relationship and didn't see it coming or whatever, then she knew it was a mistake and that you don't want to tell her "I told you so." if you're a good friend.

- Response by daugenstine, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

I'd find another friend.
You are judged by the company you keep.

- Response by stanorocks, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Denver, Therapist

maybe she knows the real situation. I'll give you an example of how easy you could fall into that same trap.

your at a bar and see this sexy young chick and you guys are having drinks and she ends up back at your place and you have sex.
the next morning you find out that she was younger then the legal age, if someone found out and reported it you could go to jail. you would then have to register as a sex offender.

it happen to a buddy of mine, who would think a minor would be at a bar first of all and where's her parents. luckly he didn't spend time in jail but still has to register.

so you can't always judge based on the crime without knowing the history behind it.

- Response by tleeb, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Dallas, Other Profession

Now you know where you stand.

I could not be friends with such a person. Nor could I be friends with someone like your friend. We'd simply be done. If a friend came and told me he was, AND he was getting some serious help, then I might consider maintaining an arms-length relationship. But kids are too important to me.

Good luck and God bless

- Response by kravjar666, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Consulting