Have you ever been picked last?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 12:57 PM - Tuesday June 05, 2012

Have you ever been picked last?

When you were in school, I'm sure you participated in spelling bees. Two team captains were usually selected by the teacher. The team captains took turns on who they wanted on their team to spell words. Were you ever picked last, if so how did that make you feel. If you never have, how do imagine that would make you feel?

- Asked by A Married Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I was always picked last in gym class for sports, but for the academic teams - spelling bees, history contests, etc - the other kids used to fight over me to get me on their team. (I sucked at sports, but I was smart!)

It always made me feel really bad to be rejected for sports, but I compensated for it by feeling really good about being intelligent. I always knew brains would get me farther in life than volleyball skills would.

We never had such a thing as spelling bees at our school, but I know what its like to be last... also I remember taking part in a mock trial, I was the defendant and was found guilty and the rest of the class actually treated me very badly for about a week after that... unbelievable, it was a made up trial and I was treated like a criminal...

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

I'm really quite an athletic guy but I'm not large and I placed well at some major track meets in the sprints. I really loved to play football and my father up and sold his practice when I was in grade 11 and for whatever reason I didn't take phys ed in grade 11 so I could take a college level course. At my new school however I had to take phys ed 11.

The phys ed coach broke the class up into two groups. The athletic kids and the terribly unathletic kids and of course I got put in the worst group and when they chose kids to be on their team, I was chosen dead last. The school football field was next to the school and kids used to hang out on the bleachers (like the ones in the movie, Ten Things I Hate About You) so a whole group of kids were watching because it was a lovely Autumn day.

My group put me at the back at safety so I wouldn't get in anyone's way and whoever was quarterback decided to throw the ball in my general direction to his receiver as they were sure I wouldn't be able to keep up to them but I kept up with him and when the ball arrived stepped up and took it away from him and ran through their entire team for a touchdown. As I was safety, I played up the next time they had the ball and did the same thing so they asked me to play quarterback the next set of downs and for whatever reason, I could throw the ball 50 yards which I did after avoiding the rush. It was a great day, I either scored every time I touched the ball or threw it and then I started to give the ball to those kids who never got the ball who also had the best time ever.

It was absolutely the most fun I've ever had in football and the phys ed teacher told me I was never ever going to be able to play with that group again and told me to try out for the football team.

- Response by patresi, An Intellectual Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

in basketball as i sucked and I knew it

Yeah, I was always picked last for sports but then when they saw I was good... that changed. In the meantime, when I was picked last it made me feel icky. Not a good feeling for a young person.

- Response by candiedcherry01, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55

Yes in elementary school in softball.

- Response by size008, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, New York, Retired

We didn't have spelling bees but for sports yes. I was extremely unpopular in school, I was a complete geek so no-one wanted me on their team. Even the sport I was good at, soccer they didn't want me on their team. I didn't mind when I was no good at a sport to be picked last I accepted that not even I would want me on my team but I played soccer really well and loved it and I was still picked last, even over the rubbish ones and that hurt.

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

No, I was never picked last for classroom games or sports. I imagine that being picked last would've really hurt my feelings and made me feel sad and embarrassed.

We never had kids choosing "sides" for spelling bees in schools. The teachers choose groups to participate in order to make it fair.

We did get "picked" in sports by other kids though .. and I was always good at sports so I would usually get picked quickly.

Kids can be very cruel .. so sadly, that is just a part of life that we all go through in one form or another. Sports is only one thing. If we ever had a math contest .. I would have been chosen last since I was not good at it. If we had a school dance, I would probably not get chosen to dance as much as others since I wasn't one the "popular" kids.

Even as adults, some of us have problems being chosen for dates and jobs, etc. etc.

As parents, we need to teach our kids to handle "rejection" and to put it all in perspective. We might not be good at one thing, but we can excel at others.

It's not easy being a kid .. no matter who you are ... but adults can help by helping kids have a good sense of self. It won't make all the "hurt" go away, but it will let kids know that they're not alone and we all go through it.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

I'm still picked last when sports is going on because Im relatively girly.

- Response by ooonutmegooo, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Food Service

We didn't pick for spelling bees, but I do remember spelling "vacation" right in like first grade and people cheering...

I was always picked toward the end at kickball, sometimes last. I was not great at the whole kicking thing and have always been clumsy even though I played hard. However, I was with all guys, the same guys, in my reading group for 4 years (we had to sit by, eat, and do everything with our reading group in elementary school) and one of them was usually a captain and would choose all of us. So they didn't let me go very last a lot, though they relished in making me do the "C'mon, you guys!!!" look until they gave in. I hated it... not only being picked late but because I am super competitive and they were avoiding getting "girls."

In general, I don't think kids that age could pick groups. I think it promotes favoritism, popularity contests, and can hurt the ones who are picked last more than it teaches anything about team building.

- Response by undecidedfuture1, A Creative, Female, 36-45

I was picked last once, it made me feel sad.

- Response by afirecracker, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Always. The only time I was not picked last was when it was next to last. Sometimes I was the least bad choice. Does wonders to your self esteem.

Of course I understood why. I have practically no hand to eye coordination, I was sort of short, and didn't have any real desire to get hurt by the bigger, meaner people on team sports.

Of course I was smarter than most of them, but that is no advantage either. There are no team events in calculus. And being the smart ass did not do you any favors in most classes. For most of my high school years I sort of dumbed down so that I didn't stand out in class. Better to be in the middle of the pack.

I simply avoided anything with teams for the rest of my life. I do ski, but only for myself. I have bowled in the past, and played golf. I did give up golf since other golfers are not very forgiving of someone who slows down the play for them. Bowling is not bad, but they mostly have teams. I shoot clay pidgins but am welcome since they always want someone else who the majority can beat. I don't much care what the score is as long as I am having a good time.

But I hated forming teams all through school. I was always almost last, and then ridiculed for being terrible at whatever they were playing. No thanks.

Have a good day.

sounds like the time the elementary boys went down to the baseball field and i seemed to be the very last one picked.
not a very good feeling.

Indeed I were then and even to this very day, have been picked last.
But, my mind always journeys to ...' The first shall be last, and the last shall be first!'

I wasn't picked last for spelling bees. Everyone knew I was a good speller. But when it came to sports, forget it! I was the last kid chosen.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I was very good at spelling, but sucked at phys ed, and was always picked last. The team that got me would be totally upset about it, and let me know it. It was a very humiliating time in my life, and I was so glad when I switched to a school where we did't have to participate in sports!

At my school we didn't have spelling bees (probably if we had I would have been one of the first people to get picked since I was quite good at spelling). But I was one of the last people to get picked at sporty games (partly because I wasn't great at sports but mostly because I wasn't one of the most popular people in class) .. At first it was sad and annoying, but then I got used to it and decided to not give an f about it as frankly everyone else sucked.

- Response by kristaxD, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

not for spelling bees, but for sports like Kickball, dodgeball, volleyball where the kids had to split up in teams. I NEVER got picked. I was the only FAT kid in my class. some were chubby, but I was 200lbs by 6th grade.

One time in particular, it got down to Just Me, and the team leaders fought over who had to take me. The gym teacher came over and actually had them flip a coin while I stood there red-faced and humiliated.
the teacher SHOULD HAVE put me on the next team to pick a team member. but no, she made it random "chance" who gets the fat girl.
then, when I walked to my team, the boys yelled "noooo!!" and "AWWWW" like little bratty kids do. I seriously wanted to die.
Gradeschool kids are SOO MEAN!
My face was red and I crossed my arms across my body, utterly humiliated.

- Response by discotrash, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas, Other Profession

All. The. Time. Especially in elementary school. On the soccer field at recess, if it came down to me and the kid with the broken leg, the kid with the broken leg would get picked first, and people would fight over who "had" to take me.

- Response by marlie92, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Detroit