Is it illegal to "wash a kids mouth out with soap"
Family & Parenting / 4:58 PM - Wednesday May 16, 2012

Just wondering?

Or considered abuse?

Update: May 16, 2012.
Yes my mom did that to me when I was a kid and talked back! I guess I was abused.

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

I do not see why it would be it was pretty effective when my parents ust to do it to me and my brother

Put it this way...what would you think if someone did it to you?

It IS illegal because it IS child abuse.

- Response by seajaih, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

its NOT ABUSE..to those who have answered that is it it..EDUCATE yourself on Child Abuse..its very effective,but not something to use often my kids got it when they used a cuss word..it only took one or two times..they stopped real quick..not abuse though

- Response by riverboat, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Lawyer

It could make them sick. I can think of better ways to punish a kid than that.

It's disgusting. I can't even fathom someone doing that to another human, much less their own child. It's vile, and could make them vomit.

How on earth did she do that? Held you down and forced open your mouth and stuck soap in it? How does that even get done? Yuck. I hate the taste of soap. :S

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

not illegal, not abuse. I don't remember anyone becoming traumatized for having their mouths washed. Their mouths were dirty, clean it up! It happened to all of my brothers & they learned to be respectful, which is what kids need to be nowadays!

- Response by newlytwentyone, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Medical / Dental

i think there are much better ways to discipline a child then soap in the mouth.

- Response by couchie666, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

Jesus! Even my family wouldn't do that on me! All parents threaten kids with it but actually doing that is vile and could poison the child.

- Response by stiffkittenbabelfish, Female, 29-35, Teaching

hi i was also the same my mouth was washed out to im 30 and back then that was very common if your younger the law has all changed and it shouldn't be harping anymore

- Response by shellbe30, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Glasgow, Student

It IS abuse, and the social services would be very interested in anyone that used this archaic practice on a child.....

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

NO and use Lava, it worked on me....