What is a Borderline Personality? Can it be dangerous? My visiting friend has it.
Diet & Health / 7:25 PM - Tuesday May 15, 2012

My friend's been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, so I'm curious about how dangerous it can be.

She actually told me that she'd be capable of throwing a child off a balcony if her husband was refusing her love... !!!

She seems like a very sweet, caring person, so it just seems nuts that she's telling me she could potentially have an episode like this.

She says she's safe with my son, as it would be her desire to have love demonstrated by her partner (i.e. her child's parent). I don't really believe she could do anything so bad, she doesn't have kids so she doesn't know the love you feel for them, but am a little curious about what this whole Borderline Personality Disorder means.

She's staying with me for a couple of weeks, and was going to help me get my son at daycare because I won't be able to lift him for a while, but I'm wondering if this is really a good idea...

So far, other than some inappropriate dinner conversation, her visit has been really nice and my son likes playing with her. I'm thinking I will have to be sure she's never alone with him, and if she does get him at the daycare I'll have to be in the car and walk in with her.

Thanks for your insight.

Update: May 15, 2012.
Thanks for the responses. I will not have her alone with my son, not after her saying in a distinct situation she could imagine having an episode of hurting her OWN child as a way of getting attention/love from her partner (she has no child, it's theoretical, but she says she could threaten a spouse who wasn't helping or was refusing to show love by holding the child over a balcony and letting it fall, then jumping after. She said she just goes nuts sometimes. She's come to keep me company and help me post op, as I'm getting varicose vein surgery and won't be able to drive for 10+ days. I can get in the car to get my son at daycare, but can't drive or pick anything up-so she'll help with that.

- Asked by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Well the thing about Borderline Personality is that is it rapid mood swings. Something in the brain can set them off. A delusion can set them off. It just depends on how severe it is, and if someone is being nice to them, or if they think a person is mean to them or nice to them. Medication can help but that mental illness is severe. Counseling can help. Knowing triggers can help.

- Response by A Player, Female, Who Cares?

IF what she is saying is really true and she knows herself...then I would say that it's MORE than broderline personality. That is psycho babble coming from a shrink...

So if you had not ever heard this before and she is not joking around then I don't blame you for being cautious...I would be too especially wit a very young child who couldn't verbalize to you if something was amiss....I don't get the 'she says she's safe with my son, as it would be her desire to have love demonstrated by her partner'...can you plese explain that part...and why would you both be in the car going to daycare to pick him up...???

People who are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder have at least five of the following symptoms. They may:1

Make frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
Have a pattern of difficult relationships caused by alternating between extremes of intense admiration and hatred of others.
Have an unstable self-image or be unsure of his or her own identity.
Act impulsively in ways that are self-damaging, such as extravagant spending, frequent and unprotected sex with many partners, substance abuse, binge eating, or reckless driving.
Have recurring suicidal thoughts, make repeated suicide attempts, or cause self-injury through mutilation, such as cutting or burning himself or herself.
Have frequent emotional overreactions or intense mood swings, including feeling depressed, irritable, or anxious. These mood swings usually only last a few hours at a time. In rare cases, they may last a day or two.
Have long-term feelings of emptiness.
Have inappropriate, fierce anger or problems controlling anger. The person may often display temper tantrums or get into physical fights.
Have temporary episodes of feeling suspicious of others without reason (paranoia) or losing a sense of reality.

Some take meds to control symptoms
Some do well in therapy
There are varying degrees
Like narcissism it is becoming more the norm in our society

- Response by sweetshyfree1, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

Many people who have it also have been abused some way as a child. Its a brain disorder, like bipolar. Google it, and get more information. Good luck :)Sorry for posting 2 times!

http://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Borderline_person ality_disorder

copy and paste.

- Response by esmedoll, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Providence

Remove the spaces when you copy and paste.

This is the NEW LABEL for what used to be MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER.

So what she is really telling you is that the sweet person you are looking at would never harm you. But one of her alters certainly WOULD.

I'm positive that my ex-husband had this condition, and the reason I left him is he was an extremely dangerous evil person. These people are the sort that will murder the children to get back at the partner for leaving. I see news reports about this sort of thing all the time.

- Response by stiffkittenbabelfish, Female, 29-35, Teaching