What is the proper way to answer a business phone?
Career / 2:59 PM - Wednesday May 09, 2012

I always thought it was.......

Hello. WYC Company. Suzi speaking. How may I direct your call?

If you were her manager -- do you think it's appropriate she's being rude and disrespectful every time she answers your business phone?

- Asked by utahmom, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Managerial

The OP was just all about gossip and how to loose a job
She volunteered to answer the phone due to down sizing - gee if the powers that be read that gossip filled post and her telephone ethics she would be the next down size!
Yes I agree the proper way to answer a business phone is to say thanks for calling- the company name and identify yourself by first or last name and it would be a definite no/no to be surfing the web and gossiping online about business!

- Response by sweetshyfree1, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

I am so with you on this one...

My first thought was... You are gone...

And after I read the whole post...

Are you still here?

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

I am tempted at times to ask the caller, in a really outraged voice if they know who they are talking to..if they say no then tell them to eff off..

tempted but I actually like my job..So its proper all the way

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

Gotta tell ya babe, If I called and this twit answered the phone like she did in the post? And I asked her "who's this?" And she gave me SHIT about it?

I would rip her boss a new one for putting someone so unprofessional and stupid on the phones.

Like the woman from Ghostbusters with the New Jersey accent.

"Yeah Ghostbusters wadda ya want?"

haha =0)

- Response by mysterious19, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, London, Other Profession

I work at a Car Dealership in the Customer Care deapartment, and I answer the phone saying "Hi thank you for calling _____ Ford, this is Lucy, how may I help you?"

- Response by lalalucyylu, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Chicago, Student

I see your point. But I don't think its polite to ask someone you are calling who they are. If you are calling to speak to a specific person, you can ask for them, not ask who you are talkign to

- Response by brando1002, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Chicago, Internet / New Media

I don't know....did you read the rest of her post? about her drunk coworker who wanted someone to come get her? lol

I deal with people all the time who will not tell you who they are---half give fake names as when you call your credit card customer service or your insurance provider. Many large Fortune 500 businesses have a policy not to tell you who they are- because they try to stick it to their customers and they fear the employee may get targetted.

however- i do answer my phone and say Hi- this is "Anonymous' lol

i agree, i always say my name when i answer the phone where i work, but she didn't say all those things to the person on the phone, those were her thoughts only. but really, if someone is calling a general office, they don't really need to know the name of the receptionist.