When should I stop looking for a job. I've applied for 1,400 jobs (my field) so far, no luck.
Career / 5:45 PM - Sunday April 29, 2012

I've studied Electrical Engineering and have earned my bachelors for it. Within the past 2.5 yrs I've realized that I've applied for over 1,400 jobs. When do you think I should stop looking. I feel I'm getting nowhere. I've done the resume workshops, resume critiques, and interview critiques countless times. So far all I hear is you have a great resume, but no job:-(

- Asked by reef, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Student

If your degree were in Art Appreciation, I'd be more inclined to agree that your job search may be at a dead end, but a recent grad with a BSEE? Something's wrong. Have you at least nailed down any interviews? If so, then consider contacting some of the folks who have interviewed you to see if they be willing to allow you to debrief them in hopes of an honest assessment of your experience, education, and presentation skills. Consider also revisiting the college where you graduated to see if they are doing any job fairs or could possibly hook you up with an internship. But it strikes me that if you've applied to 1,400 different places, then you're casting your net to widely. You must have an area of concentration in your major, and you should narrow your search to employers who would value that. I once worked at a company in California that was doing a lot of R&D in digital video and audio, and I still remember a resume we received from an engineer in New Jersey whose experience was in the design of railroad traffic control apparatus. He may well have been brilliant at what he did, but his skills, while perhaps impressive, held no value for us. Refocus, keep trying, and good luck.

- Response by jteneyes, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Technical

start lowering your sites. i know hundreds of people with degrees working in other fields than they studied... i have 4 peopel in my office taht have teaching or social worker degrees...and tehy answer phones for a living

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

It's why I'm self employed today-- shoeing horses for the ladies at the riding stables.
I went to DeVry Tech to learn electronics technology-- no small achievement-- and worked in industry for years. Now those jobs barely even exist.
As you get up in years, it is more and more difficult to work for someone else. They sort of expect us to be running our own businesses after a while.
I looked through the course catalog for a nearby junior college, and I was astounded by all the IT courses they have. I said "THIS is why I can't get a tech job anymore!"
There sure are lots of awfully cute girls at that JC...

it sounds like what you are doing is not working. get off the internet and start making personal trips to the companies to which you apply.

- Response by wakeforester, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45

Thats why so many people with college degrees are now working fast food and stuff like that maybe thats where u need to go for now

What this means it that you need to shift gears and in fact probably should have been honing another skill base while doing this job search. Just because you are educated in one area doesn't mean you are in the end zone. When you find that you can't find employment in one area you take your knowledge base and apply it to another. How about learning to weld and than learning to do so under water and applying your EE knowledge to do that. They are hurting for people in this area. Or how about tool and die? Or take your knowledge and become an associate professor and then move over into teaching your knowledge base.
I have an undergrad in Art and Design...another in psychology...a masters in Clinical Social work and have a massive list of skills along with that. I never am at a loss for work. I can counsel, teach, sell artwork, landscape, coach and a whole host of other things.
It's about being innovative and applying what you know to other areas and building skills.
It's time for you to take stock and explore skill building in areas where there IS work.

- Response by joybird, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

What institution of higher education did you receive your BS in EE?

Are you a member of IEEE? Do you attend your local meetings? Are you attending the National conference in Salt Lake in May.

How is your mentor? How often do you met with your mentor?

What specific area (industry) do you wish to work?

You've applied for 1,400 jobs using the WRONG METHOD. Isn't the definiation of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

There are tons of EE jobs out there. You need to connect face to face with the folks doing the hiring.

If you have 2.5 years of unemployment and no work history before that then you will be a tough sell. If nobody will hire you then design and build some hobby electronic projects to build a portfolio demonstrating you have skill and interest in electrical engineering. Offer to use your electrical engineering skills to volunteer helping some worthy project.