What is the real traditional importance of the military salute?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:31 PM - Thursday April 19, 2012

Yes, I realize respect (yada) but what about the origins?

To see if the person wasn't holding a weapon?

- Asked by ilom, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

Yes, the others are right on the origins, bit the British Navy salute is different from the Army salute....The Navy salutes showing the edge of the hand, the army salute showing the palm.. this is to see that there is not a concealed weapon .... this has to do with a story of the Army trying to assassinate the top Navy bods to become the Senior Service.. learned that in the Army but would have to google to get the right names etc... and quite frankly I cant be arsed

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

The way I understand it, when a Knight would face another Knight, it was customary to raise his visor on his helmet as a form of respect to the other Knight.

- Response by happyhippiepappy, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Retired

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I that the salute originates from medieval times where knights would walk around the castle or what ever in their armor and when they'd pass by somebody they would lift their face mask up to show the other person who they are.

It sounds pretty cool.....but I am not sure if it is the real reason

- Response by cdn1984, A Jock, Male, 29-35, Toronto, Other Profession

Flash their armpits? See who has the biggest underarm stains? That's how they achieved their RANK. Rankest pit wins!

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

I'm with happyhippiepappy on this one. Robert Redford explained it that way in the movie "The Castle" (or close to that).

- Response by poolfish2, A Career Man, Male, 66 or older, Who Cares?

To indicate if you're a "top" or a "bottom"....

- Response by cmtman8, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, New York