I'm disabled and just want a job that will offer me the chance to feel like I am part of society.
Career / 1:23 AM - Tuesday March 20, 2012

I have 3 the dics on my back that are petruding and I also have a leg which has suffer nerve damage. I need to find a way from being in this depressive state all the time. No job seems to be able to acommidate my needs. I am bipolar which cause me problems at my jobs. I want some ideas on what you think could be a good fit for me. I have clerking skills. Answering phone and customer service related experiance.

I also have disability's, 4 back operations (Spinal fusion) Emphysema, Blood cancer, and other issues, plus I'm nearly 61. I do volunteer work with the Salvation Army. So far I have been offered part time paid work for 6 different people. I have to knock them back, as I would hate to let them down. Get back into it with volunteer work and take it from there..

I wish you the best of luck..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

With BOTH serious mental AND physical limitations, I ain't gonna lie... you are at a great disadvantage.

I would look in the areas where they hire the disabled. Contact places like Salvation Army and Good Will Industries.

I am assuming that you have already tried applying for Social Security Disability?

God Bless for your attitude and wanting to be productive, that's commendable, truly. Have you thought about working from home? There are also part-time office jobs where you wouldn't have to work too many hours and be sitting or standing and you could be a clerk typist or receptionist. Because you are disabled, employers will tend to give you a little more consideration because they understand if you're there asking for a job, you obviously want it and will do a good job. I understand being bi-polar is challenging, but if you have your meds dialed in, work part time and avoid stress, you should be ok. Also, check with local employment agencies, social security office, etc., and ask them for a referral to a job placement program for people with disabilities. I wish you all the luck in the world and much success!!!

- Response by diznykd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

and another thought, mentail health offices and disability places hire disabled workers .And are aware and considerate of special needs a person might have.
And I can understand the value of participating in the world .
I wish you well in your search.

I am thinking. And while I am thinking may I offer you great accolades for taking some kind of action. Ok, here is the only suggestion I can come up with. If you live in a big town, they should have Taxi service. Let them get you a job dispatching cabs to call ins. There are lots of them: Shut ins, no cars, no drivers license and the like. You have people skills or you would not have gotten my attention! Go for it.

A lot of reputable call centers will hire people with your challenges. As long as you have good customer service skills, basic computer skills and can stand sitting for a couple of hours at a time, you'd probably have a good chance of getting hired. Various other office job woulds be a good fit too. There are tax break incentives for employers to hire people with disabilties, so that will work in your favor. Most state employement agencies have specialists on site who can help you with guidance and referrals. Government sponsored vocational rehabilitation progams are great too. If you qualify, they will pay for you to train in a field that's well-suited for you AND decent paying. They will also help you with job placement once you finish school. Don't rule out volunteer work either. As long as you're working on an unpaid basis, you can work on your own schedule, and, to an extent, on your own terms. That can be a good way to try out different jobs to see what fits and what doesn't. And, if you do find a good fit, it can lead to a paying position. I applaud you for wanting to work and to contribute to society. And I wish more people wanted the same thing you do. Good luck!

I do not know how to access them, but there are jobs you can do at home. Offer to work for tips like at a coffee shop. I do not know where you live, but some places hire girls to fold and stock in small, busy retail locations that are privately owned. Especially here at the coast, they hire helpers in the summer that do not have to deal directly with customers. Some temp agencies might help you find work i.e. to do some filing, calls, or mailings.

- Response by travelchic, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

You should be a greeter at Wal-Mart! The one by me always hires the handicapped to do it. But you should get some meds to level out your craziness before you do so you don't go postal on any shoppers.

- Response by perkyjen1, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Boston

receptionist

- Response by A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I work at the local Goodwill store here in town, and they are wonderful when it comes to hiring people with physical and mental disabilities. The pay's not the greatest, but it'll take care of your bills, and they do have health insurance. Good luck to you.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?