My Dad Gifted Me a Baby Nurse
Family & Parenting / 1:16 PM - Monday March 05, 2012

My Dad Gifted Me a Baby Nurse

I have spasmodic torticollis and insomnia. I need help, but I'm really ambivalent about having a stranger coming into my home and caring of him. I have been assured of a detailed background check and references.

Would you trust a baby nurse?

- Asked by modelesqueme, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, New York, Food Service

Is the nurse for you or for your baby? As a woman who has gone through the exhaustion of raising three little guys (without any major medical problems) I think you should take the opportunity being offered. Sit down with the new nurse when she arrives, talk with her and get a feel for what she's like----but also be clear about your own boundaries and what you are and are not comfortable with.

She'll be able to do a better job for you if you can be clear in your communications. Just being passive and hoping for the best is probably a recipe for it not working out.

If it does work out----and gives you a chance to get some sleep, take it. I don't know how old your baby is, but I do know that whatever age, they require round the clock attention and mothers never get a break except when baby is sleeping too. Having someone around who is caring and good at what they do is intended to allow you the opportunity to work on your own mental, emotional, and physical health. But, if the nurse is a jerk---well, tell your Dad and ask him to contact the agency. you don't need an incompetant person in your home adding more stress either.

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

I have a sick baby and I'm dealing with some health issues of my own right now. I wish I had a baby nurse, you're so blessed to have a wonderful and thoughtful Dad who came up with such a brilliant idea. I have to pay my own mom to watch my baby if I have to go some place that he cannot go with me. Isn't that nice?

Trust me, I KNOW how hard it is to intrust your baby to someone else ( I don't even have a babysitter for this reason ) but accept the help. You'll be able to get the rest you need so you can take care of and enjoy your new baby.

Look at their credentials yourself and make that determination.

Take care and I hope you get some rest.

- Response by candiedcherry69, Female, 36-45, Miami, Who Cares?

I thinkn its nice but it can make problems too. I hope you get better sorry about your spasmodic torticollis. I wouldn't go anywhere without my child or would I leave her home alone with him. There are ways to check on people. Like set up your video camera. You love your child its your house. Just montior it and no your not doing anything wrong. Your doing it out of love.

If she comes with good references I would do it.Just keep an eye on how she is until you feel confident.