What time do your children start school in the morning?
Family & Parenting / 8:47 AM - Monday February 27, 2012

What time do they get out of school in the afternoon?

Do you think this is an adequate amount of time to spend in school each day?

Our school system is discussing the possibility of extending to school day next year so that the kid's will start at 8 AM and go to school until 5 or 6 PM at night.

Is this something you'd like to see happen in your area?

- Asked by houseworkmakesyaugly, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45

Hi... My son is in high school and he starts at 7:30am and is home by 3pm... my daughter is in middle school and she starts at 9:10am and is home by 4:1pm. I'm happy with this schedule, it works well being they are home at different times and can use the computer in peace if needed without the other one nagging for them to get off. Personally I would hate for them to be in school until 6pm. We're busy people. We have things to too and with school ending at 6pm means homework will be done at midnight and diner will be later... No, I would not enjoy that at all.

- Response by candiedcherry69, Female, 46-55, Miami, Who Cares?

8AM - 3:30PM. Yes, I would like to see an extension until 5PM if it accommodate homework period.

- Response by ilom, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

My middle school kid starts school at 8:25 am and ends school at 3:30 pm every day.

While I understand the importance of education, I think extending it 2-3 more hours is a little too much. My daughter already feels like her school is giving her work at the college level quantity. (She attends a small private, Christian school) Kids would more than likely feel stressed with that long of a school day.

This is something I would not want enforced in my area.

- Response by sweetthing06, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Managerial

My kids are grown but if school wants to keep children until 6 pm I hope that includes dinner and homework.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Our nursery school kid - 9am - 3:30.

We need more hours for school. Education isn't a sprint, its a marathon. Assume 180 days of school a year. If you increase each day by a single hour, you're adding 180 extra hours of instruction. Multiply that by 10 years, and its an entire additional year of instruction.

Extra activities? That's nice, but society isn't built on soccer. Hockey, yes, but not soccer.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

I'm curious what they're going to do with the kids until those hours? The teachers want to teach 9 or 10 hour days? Will that entail a raise in pay? How can you possibly make the kids pay attention for that many hours during a day

- Response by patresi, An Intellectual Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

That's insane. How many people have tried to manage kids and keep their attention after lunch? By 5th or 6th period, their minds are gone.

Hell no! This leaves what all but a few hours a day to interact with your child. This would include dinner, homework and any other activities they may be involved in. I don't see how this would be beneficial to our children. Actually I could just see it causing even more stress in families.

My son's school starts at 8:50 and they get out at 3:50. I think this is plenty of time to get whatever they need accomplished in a school day.

This is a really great idea. After school care is destroying the wallets of poor Americans. They send their kids to a public school and then have to pay a private school to take care of them from 3-6 while the parents are working. Daycare cost ALOT of money. We have school teachers who work 6-7 hour days. I work an 8-10 hr day everyday and so do most Americans. But teachers only have to work 6. Get 2 months of vacation time and plenty of holidays. Last I checked, our kids ain't doing great compared to other countries so make those teachers work harder.

Where parents used to be home at 3pm to help kids with homework the reality is that both parents usually work till 6pm. Then they run home, try to make dinner and maybe find a 1/2 hr for school help before the kid has to go to bed. So teachers have to fill in if our kids are going to improve.

Oh and I hate when people say that kids should be using that time for extra-curricular activities. How about we keep them focused on their curricular issues first. I know we like to see college football and the elephant in the room doesn't let us admit that those athletes aren't learning a damn thing. "Student athlete"- student comes first. The smart, the educated, the motivated get good careers. The athletes? 1 in 1000 college athletes sees professional money. As for the other 999, they aren't getting educated. The quickly revert to their original ghetto poor life. At that point, we need to refocus on the important things about being a student.

This is a win win win situation. Kids get better educated. It saves parents ALOT of money. Teachers have to work a full days work like everyone else.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

I don't have kids but my siblings are all in different schools. The High school and Middle school start at 7:30 and let out at 2:10 the Elementary school starts at 8:30 and lets out at 3:00. I would prefer to see an extension to the school year rather than the school day. Teachers try to cram everything they need to teach into 90 days for half semester courses and it just doesn't work a lot of material is left out or not throughly explained. With such a limited amount of time teachers are teaching so that students can pass a test but that doesn't allow information to really sink in. Nothing is learned that is not remembered and often times material has to be retaught the following year. I remember taking several math courses where the first half of the semester was a review of what we were supposed to have learned the previous year and yet students were struggling with it and acting as if they had never seen it before.

- Response by borninthemeadowcourt, A Creative, Female, 18-21, Student

That's ridiculous and it would be enough for me to move or send them to private school if I could afford it. They spend enough time in school. If they spend too much time in school they'll get burnt out before they get to high school. And are they not supposed to have extracurricular activities like dance lessons or sports? I would be super pissed if they tried to do that here.

My son is at High School and the day starts between 08;45 and can end any time up to 4pm, it depends what is on his timetable that day, they get a nice early dart on a friday and get out between 2.30 and 3pm... its fine now he is older but does not work well for working parents who need child care

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

I wouldn't want my child in school for so long, but think it is good if after school programs are offered for children of parents who must work full time, or can't afford or otherwise offer enriching after school activities.

Honestly, I already do a lot with my son in the afternoons, I feel I expose him to a lot of enriching things and encourage him to be physical and get fresh air, and think it would be a shame to lose all of that time.

Eight now he's in daycare from 9-11:30 2-4 days a week, but when he gets older he can stay until 12, 2 or 4.

When I was growing up, k-9 was from 8-2, and high school was from 8 or 9-1 or 3.It left us time to play outside, do sports, read and actually enjoy time together as a family.

- Response by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45