I still haven't been paid for a freelance job I did almost a year ago!!
Career / 5:39 PM - Monday February 20, 2012

I'm really frustrated with this company. It was a magazine company I used to do work for when I was employed full time a few years ago. Once I went freelance they contacted me to do work for them occasionally. Apparently my old company no longer would do work for them due to not getting paid for a long time. The person I worked with always seemed nice. She told me up front before I even did the first piece for them that "we are currently behind on our payments and although this is for our April 2011 issue, you may not receive your payment until late summer." Well I didn't receive payment until October of last year. I also did three other pieces for them last year, one for the May issue and was told back in December "Yes, unfortunately, payments are still running behind, but they have been picking up in the last few weeks, so hopefully we will be paying the spring 2011 issues by the beginning of the year. I know it's frustrating for me, so I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the people waiting for the money! So I thank you for your continued patience and hope we can get back on track very soon."

I am losing my patience with these people! I emailed almost a month ago the person I have been doing the work for (who is the editor of the company) and she hasn't responded. I've sent 2 emails to the managing editor in the past month and he hasn't responded. I'm still waiting to be paid 3 checks of $500 each! I know I should just say no to the work, but it's $500 for about 4-5 hours of work, which I can't turn down!

Yes I've been warned that they are behind with payments, but this is ridiculous. People can't expect to wait almost 1 year to be paid for their work. Even more upsetting is that no one is responding back to me. Is there someone I can contact about the situation? Does the Better Business Bureau look into things like this?

Can you go up to the office in person. That can't ignore you that way. If that does not work, then I would send them a registered letter telling them about your intention of taking them to court.

Maybe consider this a lesson learned and change how you do business. I will soon be a freelancer and before I start I will have developed a standard contract with fair billing and payment terms clearly listed. If I need to go the small claims court, collection agency or write-off route with someone then I won't do business with them again. There are several good books out there on how to operate a home business.