Even the famous die so whose death was most surprising?
In The News / 8:40 PM - Saturday February 11, 2012

I just saw on the news that Whitney Houston has died at 48.
No details of how or why
She was a symbol of the 80s to me
A moment of silence

- Asked by sweetshyfree1, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

Yup. Her rendition of the star spangled banner will live on as the very best, most powerful and moving version of that song ever sung in the history of the world.

- Response by msheartbeat, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Self-Employed

John Ritter was the most shocking celebrity death I heard about and it was heart wrenching watching the news coverage in the weeks after his death. My heart went out to his family and children because it happened so sudden & without any warning.

Whitneys death on the other hand should come as no surprise to anyone. She's been on a downhill slope for years. As a matter of fact I saw her photo on a rag sheet last week telling about how she was spiraling out of control and I remember thinking " I can't believe she hasn't OD'd already. "

Bobby Brown is bad for your health!

A moment of silence ? Got better things to do .

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

"She loved that cocaine, she loved that cocaaaaaiiine!"

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35

I just saw it too. It came as a surprise to me that she died so young at age 48.

- Response by size008, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, New York, Retired

The real shame is that bobby brown lives on.......

- Response by stanorocks, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Denver, Therapist

Bobby Brown was going to post this, but he didn't care enough to bother.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

It's maybe not all that surprising, but definitely sad. And, the last time I saw her on TV, she was clean, looked great and seemed posed for a career comeback. More tragically, she's leaving behind a daughter and other family. Such a huge waste of talent too. I hate drugs.

omg.. that's sad... she gave the most touching anthem song at the super bowl.. 1991... just had bad people around her and booby brown.. a hole and the drugs... my her soul rest at peace... so horrible an end for such an icon...

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

Either primary or second results of drug use abuse. Overdose or damage to her heart, kidneys and liver.

- Response by wetwired, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Vancouver, Who Cares?

If its a fact......cuz there's lots of rumors flying around......and IF ITS TRUE.......that's a great loss.

She had an amazing voice......lots of memories of hits she had.....and her AUNT DIONNE WARWICK.

SAD THAT BOOBY BROWN DID NOT PRECEDE HER. HE is the reason she is dead. He ruined her life with his drugs and abuse.

HE SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND BROUGHT UP ON CHARGES OF ASSISTED MAN SLAUGHTER. The drugs killed her.....and he got her into the drug game.

- Response by nuttyprofessor, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Transportation

Guy I work with down the hall, wife found him dead in the elevator. Worked out regularly, eat vegetarian etc etc etc.....

Truly a sad situation, and to think her mom is going to outlive her, sad, really sad!

Bernie Mac/George Carlin

- Response by butch007, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

I think kmf1 is talking about Nicole Smith.

for me, it's sad when anyone dies. even if I don't know them.

- Response by girlpower08, A Sportif, Female, 36-45

To me---Whitney was blessed with a great voice and tremendous talent. She found the kind of fame a fortune that few people ever do. And, she proceeded to throw it all away with alcohol, drugs, and bad decisions. Sorry to say, I really don't feel anything about it. It was like waiting for the other shoe to drop. People are blaming Bobby Brown, but the fact is that she didn't have to go along with it. She could have dumped him on the spot. Nobody MAKES you do such a thing. If I'm a horrible person because I say she made her own bed and slept in it, then so be it.

- Response by awsum1, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago

I have a number of people whose deaths were quite surprising:

Heather O'Rourke - Carol Ann from Poltergiest
Brandon Lee - The Crow - I still love him! He's my pc's
Kurt Cobain
Princess Diana
Christopher and Dana Reeves
John Ritter
Brittany Murphy
Peter Boyle - I know he was older, but I loved Everybody Loves
Raymond, and felt like I lost a part of my family.
"Holy Crap!"

- Response by wende13, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Buffalo, Administrative

Part of my childhood left with her.

- Response by king313, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Technical

That is sad it shocked me. I think it was drug overdose.

I just read an artile about her death. Just prior to her death, she was reportedly sweating profusely and had the smell of cigaretts and alcohol on her breath. She was so pretty and talented, what a complete waste! Drug use was her downfall, when will people ever learn?

- Response by hearmenow, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Other Profession

I found myself crying when I found out she died. RIP Whitney.

- Response by michellekia, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, St.Louis, Financial / Banking

...Aaliayh, it was without doubt, a strange discovery losing her.

Paul Newman.

It's been 3+ years now, and it seems like yesterday.

He was one of those people that you just think are going to keep going forever.

- Response by tooluser, A Career Man, Male, 36-45

I hear there's going to be a huge line at her funeral. Ironically, that's what killed her. Evidently there is a mountain high enough for her.

And I think there's a NASA conspiracy here. Apollo 13 and Whitney both had problems with crack. Houston, we have a problem.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

I gotta change my Cats Litter Box

And shower for Party Night

- Response by hedo2nj, A Player, Male, 36-45, Other Profession