How do you celebrate a divorce?
Married Life / 3:19 PM - Wednesday February 08, 2012

How do you celebrate a divorce?

I just got the decree in the mail. I am good friends with my ex; he initiated the divorce; I am not sad at all. Should I mark the event somehow? With my new beau? What do you think?

Update: February 08, 2012.
As some f you indicated, "celebrate" was the wrong word (tacky; I agree). "Marking the passage" would be a better way to put it. I think lighting a candle would be best.

- Asked by monana, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

I think a nice "YAY! I'm totally free and totally yours now!" dining experience with the new beau would suffice.

my first response it , that is tacky
you said you and your ex were good friends
so it is not like my friend who had a burn the wedding dress party because she had married an abuseive stalker.For her that was declairing an actual freedom from fear and all that she went threw.
I don't think I would find it nessesary to celebrate the end of a chapter in your life and not value the person who shared that experience with you. Seems cold and tacky . Divorce is not something to celebrate about . To celebrate freedom from abuse sure . Light a candle and say good by .

I would just consider this the beginning of your new "life". That should be celebration enough.

Divorce can be a positive thing .. but hardly something to celebrate. Good to know you and your ex are "friends". But I'm sure you have some good memories of your marriage .. and took something positive from it. I would just quietly move on from it and consider it a part of your history.

But only you know the best way to handle it for you ... :)

Sing and shout to the high reaches of the air.
Write it down somewhere, in a colored pen, on some sexy paper.
Celebrate with gusto, be happy, it is finally over!

First, I think its perfectly OK to be friends with your ex spouse. Some people just meant to be friends with each other, not spouses.

For people reading and wondering what happened to Rule #1, rule #1 applies to dating, not to divorces.

How should you celebrate? Considering you're friends with the ex, I'd say you guys go out to dinner together to celebrate. Bring your SO too. It may seem awkward for the new dude, but he has to accept the fact your ex is a part of your life.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

I don't think celebrating your divorce with your new beau would be the thing to do. Enjoy your freedom and celebrate your new love with your beau. Move on from the past is the best thing to do. Rosey

no disrespect to any of the other responses but if you're happy about it and feel like celebrating on your own, that's cool I think. Buy yourself something you like, or do something for yourself, share with someone what you learned through your experience.. do whatever makes you happy.

- Response by girlpower08, A Sportif, Female, 36-45

Go to City Hall to pull the paperwork and find out where your exes' parade route is when HE celebrates so that you don't get stuck behind it.

I think that's a celebration to have with girlfriends, who get it. The less said about an ex still applies to dating in general. Of course, everyone is different, but can you hear the questio on answerology:

What did my girlfriend mean when she asked me to celebrate her divorce with her: does she want to get married; was she telling me that's how it will be if we break-up...

I wouldn't celebrate the divorce with your new boyfriend because it's not his divorce. I would celebrate your freedom to be with him now and leave it at that.

- Response by diznykd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

My sister packed up and went to art school in Italy.

By all means mark the day!

- Response by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

party baby like its 2099! congrats!!hope its a good thing! :)

- Response by jamiesangel777, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Miami

I bought a new bedroom set when I got a divorce. It was a way of saying out with the old and in with the new. Then I had dinner with my parents.

Bull shit what the other people said. You should celebrate your freedom! Now your free! You and your boyfriend should have drank champagne.

- Response by sharonsummer84, Female, 56-65, Miami, Financial / Banking

hey! My boyfriend who has been separated from his ex for a very long time just recently got his divorce finalized. We live together and very much plan on getting married but the finalization of what was already done years ago was standing in the way. I am the one who brought up celebrating to him. Im not looking to actually celebrate THEIR DIVORCE but OUR FREEDOM and what we will get to go with it. I just thought I would help you out with a different opinion.

- Response by A Creative, Female, 26-28, New York

You dont celebrate failure!!

- Response by paragone1, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Other Profession