Should they stop sweets from being bought with food stamps?
Diet & Health / 8:58 AM - Monday February 06, 2012

Whats your opinion? Right now I think I decide -No, they should allow sweets to be bought. I say this, cause I have witnessed people go into sugar coma cause of diabetes (These people usually get on food stamps and disability) When a human goes into the slurred, drunken like effects of a sugar attack, I have seen them eat sugar and come out of it or start to feel a little better.
What is your opinions? Why or why not?

Well, in that case they can buy an emergency stash of candy for that event. Food stamps are for FOOD.

In light of the First Lady's crusade to mandate a healthier regimen of food in school menus (when she's not testing her acting talents on iCarly or playing drill Instructor on 'Ellen') I don't see how people are able to denounce this as unfair. Everyone agrees that our kids- and adults- are too fat, but they want to jump on the bandwagon of 'fairness' with all these people who are buying groceries on our dime. they're called 'FOOD Stamps' for a reason; candy and soda pop do NOT qualify as food.

Are fruits covered by sweets? Would it be possible to purchase sugar, honey, agave nectar, molasses, sorghum, etc.?

Watch what you say about people on food stamps. I am not a stereotype.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I think they should be able to. SUre there are people that abuse food stamps but to punish those like myself who use them the way they should is just not fair. When you look in my cart I'm buying alot or fresh produce,fresh meat,rice,etc. but there might be a box of cookies in there and I do allow myself 1 or 2 cans of soda a day. I don't go overboard on junk but it's not fair for me not to buy any sweets or chips at all just b/c some people are morons.

My opinion is that food stamps are one of the most abused programs in the country. Sweets are such an insignificant part of the problems why bother.

Scrap the intire program and start over.

- Response by fluff47, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

And I could say Why should they be allowed to buy lobster and steak? I was a cashier and people on FS ate way better than I did...But when I lost my job, I had to apply for food stamps. I did not buy steak, nor lobster nor anything expesive, but I sure bought ice cream and candy bars! But then again I don't have any diseases. If someone is entitled to FS, and they choose to kill themselves by bad habits, is that something that should be policed? If they die, it is one less person on the welfare line I guess. Someone might think you spend too much time worrying about others? Each person is responsible for themselves. I don't like smoking but I have no right to tell someone not to smoke except when they are in my home.

Yes. America is already overweight enough. Anyone on food stamps needs help getting the necessities. Sweets are not necessary. Diabetics can buy glucose candy specially for them that raises blood sugar. Those should be allowed on food stamps.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

My sister has that and sugar saved her life. Also think of small kids who deserve some treats in such a poor life.