Im about to be fired and dont know what to do.
Career / 6:50 PM - Tuesday January 31, 2012

Im about to be fired. I work for a large company where the politics are unimaginable which has become an issue for me. Basically ive been hung out to dry by my boss. He decided that rather than support my decisions it was easier to make it look like I was incompetent even when I turned out to be right. Then it was simply my fault for not brining him all the facts.

My wife knows everything and has been amazing even telling me that I should just quit which im ready to do. I have a new manager but she has no influence over my annual review score which is handled by my last manager. I cant even look at legal options as this has all been verbal or only a written assessment given from my old manager to his supervisor. I dont know what to do. I took a career risk when I took this job and now im paying for it. So my question is...will it be easier to get hired when I finally get an offer if i've quit or if I keep going until I get fired.

- Asked by musicguy, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Minneapolis, Science / Engineering

For starters, if you work for a large company, they probably have an employee handbook. Review it to determine if it applies to your level of employment. If it does, then review the section dealing with termination. Begin to interview for another job ASAP. If you are feeling aggressive, then prepare a short statement on the matters that you believe to be likely to lead to your termination. Obviously, don't include that you expect to be terminated in your statement. Just lay out what happened. Keep it short. Then present it to HR to put in your file. When your performance review rolls around, if you get canned, refer back to your letter with HR, and hope they didn't follow the appropriate process for termination. Then see an employment attorney.

- Response by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Farming

I think it's better that you quit then if you get fired. You can always say you quit for whatever reason when interviewing but if you've been fired, that is pretty bad.

- Response by annakins2011, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Vancouver, Administrative

Unless you broke rules, stold stuff, etc you can get Unemployment after you get fired. If the boss just don't like you, he may think that is a valid reason, but the Unemployment office doesn't always see it that way. So if you want UE don't quit, let them fire you, and get a written reason as to why you were fired for the UE office. If you are not concerned with money, then by all means, give your two weeks and quit. They will most likely put a box in your cube the next day....What company do you work for as I don't want to apply there.

I hope you are spending some hours each day making copies of all your contact lists and phoning contacts to see if you can go to work there.

The better option depends on whether or not you can afford to be unemployed for an undetermined amount of time right now. If your wife works and you won't have trouble making ends meet, I'd quit tomorrow. Quitting is the lesser of two evils when it comes to the job market and if you've got a solid resume and work history, future employer's won't likely dig too deep into your reasons for leaving the last employer. However, if your finance's aren't in order and you need the paycheck it might be more important to keep working as long as you can. Only you can determine that though.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Quit....you'll feel better

- Response by butternutbisque, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?