What is the most difficult thing you have ever had to do?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 4:21 PM - Tuesday January 03, 2012

Simple enough question. I'm curious.

Update: January 04, 2012.
Thank you everyone for sharing your responses. They were all very well thought out! I'm young, but have had the good fortune thus far to not have gone though what many of you have. Earlier this year (actually, I guess it's last year now), I did one of the more difficult things that I've had to do. I decided to make my connecting flight at the Chicago O'Hare airport. I was working out of town and knew that my grandmother's health had been declining. The day before going home I got a call from my father telling me that her health had rapidly declined and she was close to death. I was flying home the next day and had a connecting flight in Chicago, where she lived. I planned to change my flight to a later one, rent a car, and visit her one last time. My father suggested against this as it would be tough to see her in her condition. I decided that he was probably right. I sat in the airport knowing that I was less than an hour away from her and I did not leave. Several hours after I was home my father called again. She had died. I had an opportunity to see her one last time, but stepped on my plane instead. That was pretty difficult for me.

- Asked by 20something, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Consulting

A rubic cube

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

Burying my little brother. He was only 13.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

My youngest son (30 yrs. old), without a word to me and his Dad, decided to move away to another state - and begin a "new life" 2 yrs. ago. He is loved, was never treated badly (except that, as with our other sons, "Tough Love" was doled out a couple of times during his teen years) .... once in a while, he touches base with his oldest brother. If not for that, the rest of us (especially me) have had to practice "acceptance, letting go & letting the Powers that be take care of him.." This has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. So much anguish! Good post - are YOU facing something difficult to do?

- Response by familygal, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

...give the eulogy at my Mom's memorial service (I chose to) ...I was 18

Toast my little sister this past Friday on her wedding day . . . I'm usually the one who holds it together through those kinds of things but you never realise how hard it is til you get up there and do it. I was bawling like a baby . . .

- Response by codck88, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28, Houston, Internet / New Media

I had to put my dog down. He was fine one day acting normal and a few days later he could barely move and was yellow. I took him to the vet and he had cancer that spread throughout his body and fixing him wasn't an option. He's been gone 8 years now. He was my best friend.

ha not so simple, it was giving tough love to our 22 year old son this past year and it didn't end up so well.

Continue the will to live, during a time when dying could be a quick way out!

Being the sole care-taker of my mom during the last 3-4 years of her life. She was completely dependent on me, due to being elderly and very sick with multiple physical illnesses (on supplemental oxygen, in a wheel-chair, needed help bathing, etc.) And because she'd always been so independent & active most of her life, she became frustrated at having to depend on me, and she was angry and mean and bad-tempered and demanding.

I loved her to pieces, but it was extremely draining for me, emotionally and physically. I'm glad I did it but it was very hard.

Be NICE and POLITE to the over entitled, selfish little BITCH who is my *ahem* assistant.

It's hard man, real hard, but the powers that be are "building a case" to fire her ass, and if I don't wanna be caught in the crossfire...?

Discontinuing my Mom's life support and watching her go.

There are some really difficult things that I've had to go through that were short lived such as abuse situations, a serious ankle break (foot almost lost), and child birth with no pain killers...

But I think the toughest things I've gone through were things that were lasting and the pain didn't go away for a very long time.

Honestly, it's a tie between losing my dad suddenly at the age of 14... and going through a divorce with a 4 year old and an 8 year old.

I know it seems like my father's death should have been harder - but when you are part of the situation, it makes it harder to bare, I think. It's easier to deal with certain feelings if there is nothing that you have to do about it.

- Response by cutypy5840, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

help people that didn't give a crap .

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

Helping my mother die a year ago.

- Response by jezmebaby, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Taking the life of a stranger when I was just 15 years old.

- Response by ravalox, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Regina, Transportation

A tie between...

Caring for my dying father...essentially watching the strongest person in my life wither and die....and,

Experiencing the end of my marriage...and my immediate family as I knew it.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

Watch my MOM melt away with cancer for 5 years.

- Response by bobboy, A Jock, Male, 66 or older, Retired

The hardest decision I have ever had to make was to either stay in an unloving, unhealthy marriage so I could have unlimited access to my kids or to move out. We were argueing every night to the point where the kids were trying to intervene... I had to leave. Now the kids see me alot happier, hardly ever mean or angry and they're with their mom who doesn't have to yell & scream at me all the time to try to get her point across. I miss them every day. I miss tucking them into bed, I miss waking them up for school, I miss seeing them grow up. But... my kids see me in a loving, caring 're-marriage' where there's hardly ever an argument and we work things out together as a couple... the way it's supposed to be.
I just wish my ex- could move on & find someone instead of being bitter towards me and my wife all the time... Shit- it's been almost 6 YEARS!

- Response by 1carpediem1, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Financial / Banking

still doing it, day after day...

living with and watching the love of my life deteriorate from aggressive Multiple Sclerosis.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55

Bury both of my parents at the same time, they both died in an auto accident in 1993.

Do you really think it's a simple question? It's not really. The most difficult thing I ever had to do was to choose my children and their financial future over the man that I loved most in my life and with all my heart who was not their father and not my husband.

- Response by joybird, A Hippie Chick, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?