My boss is a bitch. Please help?
Career / 12:41 AM - Wednesday December 21, 2011

My boss is a bitch. Please help?

I have a job I really like overall. And at first everyone was very nice. But now my boss is being a real bitch. If she's having a bad day, she's passive-aggressive and bitchy to everyone and will pick on you under the guise of "I'm just joking!" A few of my coworkers have also noticed this.
Basically, my boss is a very pretty woman who, I believe has always gotten her way because she's cute. When she doesn't get her way, she gets very nasty. And as another woman, frankly, I don't give a shit. I do my job and I'm very good at it. And yet all I get is flack. I don't need someone who's going to kiss my ass at every turn, but all I get is criticism, and it's often presented very rudely. Instead of "I'd like to you to do this differently next time" it's "that looks horrible! I'm so stressed! I can't deal with this and you did a terrible job and I don't know why you can't do anything right"
Do I talk to her about this? I cannot live in an environment with a woman constantly needing to make me her bitch and make me feel inferior, but I can't lose my job. What's the best way to handle this??

- Asked by bluelotus, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28, New York, Artist / Musician / Writer

Welcome to the real world. Bullying doesn't stop once you leave school. It carries on in the workplace a lot.

We've got the same situation where I work.

People either leave, a few have gone up against her (none have won), and the rest just avoid her as much as possible.

Those are your choices in the real world.

There seems to be one at every job. Moving on won't help.I know it's hard but try to avoid her and ignor her bad comments.

The No Eye contact rule and hiding worked for me for 15 years in a job once. I just never looked at my boss, I always pretended to be Very busy if she came near me. OR If I saw her coming I would go to the restroom or go fax something. You could go to HER boss and talk to them or to HR. If you get a group to go with you, they can't fire all of you....Chances are they know she is a spoiled brat and her looks probably have gotten her perks. Is her boss a man? If so, he isn't going to help you. Next time she yells at you tell her she needs to talk to you nicely--what can it hurt? My guess is that no one has ever said one word about her behavior to her. I would make sure someone or a group of people hear you ask her nicely to address her critiquing you in a polite way...a witness is always handy. Or do what I did once. The supervisor at this stupid temp job was always screaming at me and ordering me around like I was a dog so when she yelled at me I went WOOF and said I AM NOT A DOG! quit talking to me like I am. She never once raised her voice to me again and was nice after that. I don't recommend that method if you have a job you like though...

You can't lose your job. And I doubt you can challenge her either. I would save talking to her about the problem as last resort.

I survived a bitchy boss by using humor to get through each day. I would make cartoons on the computer. If she did something stupid, I would pull in some clip art from the Internet and put some wording with it. Try it. Make some cartoons.

- Response by cancel9, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65

Some people just don't know how to be a good boss . teach her how to be a better boss .

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering