Why can't I remember what I did the night before when drinking?
Diet & Health / 7:51 AM - Saturday December 10, 2011

Lately, just lately, I have not been able to remember what I did the night before when drinking. what could this be from? I heard from drinking a lot. I haven't been drinking any more or less than I usually do which is, ok, I guess a lot but still, this has never happened to me before1 the last couple times too! Thank God I was home and with my husband but I don't remember if we had sex, etc. things like that! I have debated asking him because I don't want him to think I would get like that and not remember things when I'm not with him! Anyone have any idea why this has been happening to me lately??

ok everyone. thanks for the advice about being an "alcoholic" but I think you misunderstood. When I say I drink "a lot" I meant in one night. I only drink about twice a month. I never crave alcohol. My question was why has this been happening LATELY at age 36. Could it be the actual alcohol kind, which was vodka in which I never really drank before? could it be age? could it be because of a health condition I am not aware of. Thats my question.

This happens when you drink to much to quickly, it is more common in social drinkers that is actually recognised.. the alcohol impairs the brains ability to retain new memories, long term alohol abuse then will start to affect long term memories causing a similar illness to dementia called Korsakoff syndrome..

you should slow your drinking down and alternate one drink for a soft drink.. for example if your drinking rum and coke, the next drink should be coke and so on.. each of these drinks should last you about half an hour so your liver can cope.

I have been a drinker for as long as I can remember and I have never ever had a black out... you need to drink responsibly or not at all is the bottom line..

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

Being a recovering alcoholic (12 yearas clean now) then I have to be blunt and say you are now in the 'late stage' of alcoholism. You don't have to drink daily or even a large amount to be considered an alcoholic. It's a dis-EASE, that tells you that you have no disease. It's cunning, baffling and powerful. Your brain and body become anesthesized from the alcohol/DRUGS and therefore you suffer from brown outs (where things are not clear what happened) or the black out where nothing is recalled.

I suggest you may want to attend a AA meeting and talk with some of the people there before something happens when you are not home safe and sound.

I started out buying one six pack of beer a week when I ws first divorced and ended up drinking in the morning many years later. I was still a functioning alcohol, had an 8 room home to clean, worked part time, took care of my daughter, husband, dog, pool, garden, worked part time, did errands and all the thing a good little wife does..and STILL was an alcoholic. I never got a DUI or trouble with the law but I was STILL an alcoholic. So please do something now.

By giving everyone low scores speaks volumes. You are in denial about your situation and that's common. You would not have asked if you were not worried somewhat.

Alcohol is KNOWN to destroy memory cells in the brain. It's not about the type of alcohol, it's the amount. And if you're drinking so much that you can't remember, that means you're drinking too much and it's impacting your brain. If these are "blackouts" as they are called, it is serious. You could be developing alcohol dementia. If alcohol is affecting your mental well being, you should stop totally. I can't say that it would prematurely cause mental issue, especially dementia which is a bad deal, but I wouldn't want to take the risk or be a trial study on it either.

ok, i am JUST like u. i don't crave alcohol, but when i go out, i go to get drunk and have fun. i've read online that technically, that makes me an alcoholic, as u too i guess. u feel the same way i do, if i don't drink everyday and have no desire for it, then no way am i an alcholic. it just seems like bullshit to be labeled as such just cause i binge when i do go out, which is same as u, like twice a month if that. i can't just drink one an hour, thats no fun. and i always have black outs. always wonder what i did and how i embarrassed myself this time around. i hate waking up with regrets. but i don't think what is going on is a health issue, its just the way ur body is responding to the binge drinking. its ok, its not going to damage ur memory otherwise.

Do you need to ask this? Really? you're 40-ISH and you've never actually paid a bit of attention to the information that alcohol is actually a legal poison and that it kills brain cells?

Also, if you habitually drink a lot you have an addiction. You may be a "functioning alcoholic" but an alcoholic none-the-less.

I can only suggest that you take a look at the evidence of your senses---and review whether it might not be a very good time to stop drinking alcohol and invest in your own health, both emotional as well as physical.

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession