Baptist vs. methodist......
Race, Religion & Politics / 2:17 AM - Tuesday November 29, 2011

baptist vs. methodist......

For all of you that are religous, please describe to me the difference between methodist and baptist. If you have experienced both please tell me what you like/dislike about each and why. Thanks.

- Asked by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

I don't see any Baptists (religion) or Methodists mentioned in the bible. Nor do I see any Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopals, Catholics etc. Believers were and still are CHRISTIANS. Looking for a church? Find one without a title of organized religion.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

In the short story "A River Runs Through It", Norman's father, a Presbyterian minister describes Methodists as...

"...Baptists who can read."

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

there are 2 kinds of each

southern baptist are more fundamental strict christian
other baptists are more every day community church

free methodists are evangalical think tammy and jim baker
united methodists are like community churches with a lot of structure

in my experience its been the baptists that were interested in your bank account not the methodists

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

I've been both.

The Baptists are a slightly looser group who, while they don't always approve, won't exactly condemn you to hell for dancing. They also don't care how much you make or don't make. You're still welcome to be a part of the congregation.

My father became a Methodist minister in 1980 just after I joined the Navy. I guess he figured I needed all the help I could get. ANYWAY, Methodists are a lot more formal than Baptist when it comes to worship. They say a profession of faith at the beginning of the service and have a certain order that they very seldom deviate from. Each segment has it's allotted time and no more. In addition, the churches I've been familiar with checked a prospective member's tax returns before allowing them to join. Also, according to my dad, you have to have a Masters Degree or the equivalent to be a deacon.

In the Baptist church it's not your educational level that's important to being a deacon. It's your spiritual maturity and how you live your life.

- Response by bookman, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

I will give you an honest answer on what I know through reading & personal experience
1st Long Story Short, i was born into a 'Good Catholic' Family..that means you go to church weekly of at Christmas & Easter for sure..sit there, complain & treat people & life no differently
*
My Epiphany..through a series of events..losing my mother & my wife leaving me & the children ..I came to Know Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior in 1997 as i was 36 years young
To Know that Christ on the cross paid the price for me & my sins once & for all, and no MERIT on my own could every pay that prices was a life changing truth

-----------------
Although I attend a baptist church, I consider myself a Born Again Christian / or a protestant who attends a baptist church
------------------
Methodist
We in America need to thank God for the protestant's {baptists & Methodists ] who kept the GOSPEL alive & brought it to america..
Plus all of the Methodists great hymns..ty Wesslsys Brothers

They got there name by being methodical & there methods as for centuries they practiced what the preached
However in the last 30-40 years..they have carved up scripture and gotten very liberal...

They have lost their way IMHO as they have catered to the shifting world views

GOd Bless you on your journey & I hope you meet the Lord & Savior Jesus Christ

- Response by rockee, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Transportation