Should I be bothered that my boyfriend won't acknoweledge me as his girlfriend on FB?
Dating / 3:13 PM - Friday October 28, 2011

This is probably an immature question, but my boyfriend refuses to acknowledge me as his girlfriend on Facebook. He says he likes to keep his status as single until he is married, but has reassured me that he's not keeping his options open, and that he's not ashamed of me. But why is it so hard for him to do this? He's incognito in regards to me? Should I be suspicious, or should I consider the possibility that FB is a hassle? Thanks!

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

The big question is - how is he with you in public? Does he introduce you as his girlfriend to his friends? Do you even know his friends? Have you met his family? Does he act like he's your boyfriend in public? If you say yes to all or most of these questions - then I wouldnt worry about it. However, if it is that important to you that he change his status, then it shouldnt be too much of a trouble for him to change it. If he disregards your feelings on this, becomes stubborn about it and refuses to, then he might be trying to hide something.

- Response by bain22, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

I think you should be bothered. Why does he need it to say he's single until he's married? It's Facebook for crying out loud. It's for friends and family so I assume they would all know he was only dating you and not married to you. Or have you not met any of them? Because that's a major red flag if you haven't.

- Response by cherryorlemon, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I have Facebook. I'm in a serious relationship and I adore my man. I, like your bf, refuse to update my relationship status. It says single and I don't do it to keep my options open or because I am ashamed of him. I just don't think its important for 400plus people to know every thing about my life.
Get over. Its nothing. The people who need to know knows right? These are the people you see everyday like friends and family. They know you're an item and that should be it.

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25

Unless almost all of his personal life is conducted on there (which would be a sign of deeper issues) I wouldn't worry about it.

- Response by jlees, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35

Why doesn't he hide his relationship status? He probably doesn't want those announcements going into everyone's new feeds about whether he is in a relationship or is single. If he hides that, they won't see. I'm not buying that only change it when married though. Especially if in every other regard to his page is like a single mans. Does he hide your comments or refuse to post pictures too? Or untags any you post? That would be more suspicious to me than just his single status. FB is a part of life now, it's not to be taken too seriously but the way people handle it in their relationships can have a negative effect. It means socially he wants to be seen by all his friends on there as available, which legally he is single until married. Most times guys like to acknowledge their girlfriends by putting it out there, I have to say if it were me I couldn't help but to think as far as FB goes he is trying to keep his options open.

talk to him about why he will not acknowledge you as his gf.
he has the real answer to your question.

OMG its FACEBOOK. So what he doesn't set his status as in a relatinship. So WHAT. He isn't married. so technicly he is still single. Its ridiculous to base your relationship on FB. Its how he acts that tells so much.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

No, don't be bothered, just go out with other guys (incognito). :)

Well, my boyfriend just actually created a facebook about a month ago, and I've noticed that he doesn't have a status at all about us. I am not exactly sure why, as I don't care I suppose. I feel that I trust him, and that saying "in a realtionship" on facebook does not define us.

Anyhow, um I guess if it said "single" I might be annoyed, and ask him to change. If he didn't, then yes, that would be an issue.

I think that if he's a good man, and it means a lot to you for him to change it then he will. If not, then as I said, that's an issue because taking the time to change it isn't huge.

Are you guys affectionate on facebook? Can you go to his wall and write "mushy" stuff and he'll keep it there, and return the "love". If so, then he's likely being truthful about the whole single and marriage thing. If this cannot occur then, maybe that's an issue.

But anyhow, talk to him about, try writing on his wall. Good luck, keep us posted!

- Response by blakrose08, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

My ex did the same thing and refused to change it. He ended up cheating on me and is still with his current girlfriend(stank he left me for) and he actually wrote in a relationship.

It sounds like he is keeping his options open.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Miami, Other Profession

Yes. Its an immature question.

But sign up for Facebook Gold for $9.95 a month to get an enhanced account where you can go into his account to change the relationship status.

*facepalm.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

I would be pissed off..and tell him to change it unless he wants to be pissed on! wtf?

- Response by jamiesangel777, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55